Exhaust DB Noise / limits

Paulm3

Hi Guys,

After a little bit of knowledge. Looking to book onto some track days (possibly Donnington this weekend for £99) but theyre limit on noise is 98db.

Will my westy pass? the exhaust isn't too loud, its the twin webbers that make the most of the noise.

I've held a little db meter app on my iphone at my exhaust and held it at 4k revs and it shows a max reading of 95-96db each time from a few different angles.

Anyone had there's measured? I know every westy will be different with engines, exhausts etc..

95db is what mine measures (C20XE)   and yes induction noise seems to be more than the exhaust.   You should be ok for noise on airfield tracks and the dedicated race tracks.  Bedford is the most strict on noise,  I've done a couple of trackdays there, one was ok and the other I gone thrown off due to the driveby monitor ( wind was blowing in the wrong direction) Just unlucky that day.  Your DB meter won't the most accurate, only the track organisers noise monitor will be accurate and that's what they will go by usually at 4.5k rpm. for you engine.

The problem with Donington is that the noise test is 'drive by' and there are meters at various locations around the track. I have no problem passing the static noise test with my Westy but with a combination of induction and exhaust noise at full throttle opening I don't have a chance of staying out for more than a few laps. Unfortunately I speak from experience.

might have to get the egg boxs/gaffer tape sound box made up then to go over the carbs

I have tried to do that in the past ie let off a bit as you go past them, but some circuits they move them about during the day the sneaky beggers

- and what is this drive slow you speak off??

Paul, I have been told i drive too slowly most of the time mate.  but now ive fitted my new throttle cables I have at least 2 more BHP :-)

I'm running the old xflow silencer on an ST motor with bike carbs

The highest reading I've had on track was 98 so I just stay away from quiet tracks

Static tests on tracks have ranged from 94 to 98 so not sure how well calibrated some meters are????

But I'm not complaining if I get on

My iPhone app measures 96 at a meter away

Paul, I have been told i drive too slowly most of the time mate.  but now ive fitted my new throttle cables I have at least 2 more BHP :-)

lol, was only jokin ;)