Entering the speed series

3cxjay

Ive just got registered to compete in the series, whats next? fill in the appropriate forms where i want to compete? Just need to get the car finished now!!

Ive just got registered to compete in the series, whats next? fill in the appropriate forms where i want to compete? Just need to get the car finished now!!

What's next.....

1. If not already done then catch up with Terry or FILFAN - I am sure they will act as a mentor/buddy to help you through your first year.

2. Essential reading http://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic/98638-beginners-guide/

2. Get your MSA licence (National B, Non-Race).

3. Study the WSCC Regulations and decide which events you plan to do.

4. Keep checking the relevant club websites for the Event Regs and Entry Form (all have paper forms and some provide on-line entries) also keep an eye on this topic for the events you want to enter... http://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic/105887-events-regs-entry-forms/

5. If you have not already done a spring school then good to go to one. WSCC have teamed up with Shenstone MC who run a Sprint School at Curborough. http://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic/105732-introduction-to-sprinting-14th-april-curborough/

6. Beg, borrow or buy the necessary safety gear, MSA blue book (you get one with your licence or view online) will tell you what you need for sprinting and hillclimbs (minimum are fireproof overalls and gloves, MSA spec helmet).  There are other bits of gear to consider: e.g. race shoes, fireproof balaclava.

7. Get your car ready and up MSA reg spec for sprinting - if roadgoing then generally very little to do with a Westfield (1 litre Oil catch tank, yellow tape round battery earth lead, well secured battery, battery connector covered, ignition on/off clearly marked, indicator on where to tow the car from, pack of numbers).  Other things to consider are bucket seats, 4 or 6 point race harness.

8. Post on the forum here whenever you have a question or are not sure.

Have fun.

• Like 1

great reply, I spoke to Terry a while ago about joining the series, he managed to get alot of things cleared up. Ive already got my licence, race wear, and cut off etc, i don't think i need a catch tank as i'm a standard road car with standard breathing, i.e the breather pipe goes from the crankcase back into the inlet manifold. I've got some jk composite seats and fia 4 point harnesses

What numbers do i need?  

I will try a get a session at Curborough some time soon.  

Thanks. 

The numbers are in the blue book, which they've pdfed (last page) Available from outfits like Demon Tweeks.

http://www.msauk.org/uploadedfiles/msa_forms/bluebooks/12/142_149_Common_Regulations_for_Competitors_(Vehicles)_(J).pdf

This may also be useful

http://www.msauk.org/uploadedfiles/msa_forms/bluebooks/12/317_328_Specific_Regulations_for_Sprints,_Hill_Climbs_and_Drag_Racing_(S).pdf

The other thing they'll look at are the throttle return springs

What's next.....

1. If not already done then catch up with Terry or FILFAN - I am sure they will act as a mentor/buddy to help you through your first year.

2. Essential reading http://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic/98638-beginners-guide/

2. Get your MSA licence (National B, Non-Race).

3. Study the WSCC Regulations and decide which events you plan to do.

4. Keep checking the relevant club websites for the Event Regs and Entry Form (all have paper forms and some provide on-line entries) also keep an eye on this topic for the events you want to enter... http://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic/105887-events-regs-entry-forms/

5. If you have not already done a spring school then good to go to one. WSCC have teamed up with Shenstone MC who run a Sprint School at Curborough. http://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic/105732-introduction-to-sprinting-14th-april-curborough/

6. Beg, borrow or buy the necessary safety gear, MSA blue book (you get one with your licence or view online) will tell you what you need for sprinting and hillclimbs (minimum are fireproof overalls and gloves, MSA spec helmet).  There are other bits of gear to consider: e.g. race shoes, fireproof balaclava.

7. Get your car ready and up MSA reg spec for sprinting - if roadgoing then generally very little to do with a Westfield (1 litre Oil catch tank, yellow tape round battery earth lead, well secured battery, battery connector covered, ignition on/off clearly marked, indicator on where to tow the car from, pack of numbers).  Other things to consider are bucket seats, 4 or 6 point race harness.

8. Post on the forum here whenever you have a question or are not sure.

Have fun.

Christ - I have most of this already.

How much will a cut off be and does racewear need to be fireproof and in date?

Terzo204,

Cut off switch is not required if you are entering a road going class. However most do have fitted, they are not expensive. Two types, one simply isolates the battery but the engine will keep running. The second type is the FIA version and will alsloo cut the engine, this is the type you should go for if you decide to.

Yes fireproof suit and gloves are required. The blue book, see Msa website, states the versions that are allowed for sprinting. Older standards are allowed than Racing and Rallying; often can pick up deals on old stock or hardly used secondhand. I think has to be Nomex now, Proban is no longer ok for sprinting.

Plays-kool do a good range of budget suits and gloves. Post in the wanted forum, and who knows you might find a bargain.

I have relatively new Nomex boots and gloves. It's just my suit that is non-fireproof. I would love to do a bit of competition but a whole season, with a baby on the way is just not an option.

I have relatively new Nomex boots and gloves. It's just my suit that is non-fireproof. I would love to do a bit of competition but a whole season, with a baby on the way is just not an option.

If your baby/partner allow then kit can sometimes be borrowed, if you are anyway near 5' 8/9/10" then I have a spare suit (I keep for wet days).  I have offered the loan of it to a friend who starts sprinting/hills this year but if he gets his own then if the right size you are welcome to borrow (You are not far from where I live - Cirencester).

The Blyton event run by WSCC, although a bit of a journey, is a great event and a very car-friendly track and equates to 2 days of fun on and off circuit.  I am fairly sure you can enter this as a WSCC member without registering for the WSCC Speed Series.

This maybe a stupid question but im going to ask anyway!! Do the weekend events count as 2 events? it says in the regs that as a novice the best 8 event times are counted, just wondered if the weekends count as 2 events or not. 

Yeah an event over 2 days counts as 2. You can choose to enter just 1 but there is a discount if you do then both. You will also be able to sample my vodka jelly on the night :yes:

Even though blyton is local for you I recommend going on Friday for the track day and stopping until the Sunday. The evening entertainment is worth the entry fee alone. I only live 25 min away but still camped over

I thought a 2 day event was still one event, although some are 2 one day events.

As for fire resistant kit, the rules are badly worded.  They refer to "fire resistant gloves (K.14.3(e))"

So I assume that K14 applies.  {(e) Gloves. Materials tests to ISO 6940. Each glove to be labelled to that effect. Backs of gloves to be made from at least two layers of 180 gr/m2.}

So my old Nomex gloves, which just say "Nomex" on the label, don't comply as they have the wrong label.