the scottish question.

Norman Verona

I do not wnat to start a debate about the Scottish independence vote, just what is likely to happen if the Scots vote for independence.

I guess a good example to follow would be Eire, once part of the UK, now independant.

So what will Scotland have to create and fund if they are no longer part of the UK?

1) the armed forces

2) police and security services

3) medical services

4) education services

5) currency

6) radio and television services.

7) diplomatic services including embassies.

8) tax raising services.

9) assuming they wish to stay in the eec the payments to Europe.

Any more?

Passport, customs and immigration service

Facilities for adopting the Euro?

They may decide to use the Scottish pound, shadowing the UK pound. I would think this is the sensible option seeing as it's already there.

It was being suggested a while ago that that would not be an option though if they were going it alone Europe wise...

Can't see why they couldn't, they already print their own bank notes. I wouldn't imagine Europe would risk losing the Scottish revenue by insisting they went into the Euro zone.

However, you're correct, it is an issue they will have to sort out IF they get a yes vote.

Looking at the control Scotland has over England with all their countrymen in our Parliament we should have a prior vote to see if we wish to continue subsidising them!!    

National anthem? :)

They've already got that.  Flower of Scotland.

Pensions and benefits needed

If they were to go Schengen then border controls with England

What would UK and Great Britain be called?

Not sure border controls between UK and Scotland would be needed. They're not needed between Eire and UK.

I hope they do vote yes as the BBC can then take the Scottish football team scores of the vidi-printer on Final Score.

Iain has a point. If they vote yes would we need by-elections where we would now have a foreigner standing as MP?

No posting yet from any of our Scottish members.

That's my point, I think. We're not in Schengen either. I have to show my passport going from France to UK and UK to France.

No, we don't have a FWSCC or a USAWSCC