DVLA Don't you just love them? Engine proof of newness

housebuilder

Went to the local office to sort out the first registration a couple of weeks ago (just before they closed).

All forms completed but forgot my ID. Went home and got it (40 mile round trip!) all boxes ticked and application registered. :t-up:

Letter arrived from Swansea today saying my application was refused as I hadn't provided any ID!

:bangshead:

Also no proof that the engine was new. I sent the receipts for the kit but it doesn't specifically mention the engine. Anyone had this problem and if so how did you sort it?

thanks

Andrew

certificate of newness from Westfield. it's a standard letter they can do with your chassis number and details. dvla accepted an emailed scanned copy

mine didn't include engine so check the letter covers that

cheers Darve

they made me fill one of those out and sign it at the local DVLA office. Pointless it seems!

have emailed Westfield so hopefully will get that letter

what's up with the engine?

its different to what you fill in for the dvla. its a letter on Westfield headed paper that confirms what you have purchased from them is new :) speak to Judy and she'll get Mark to sort you one out :)

after fitting an uprated cylinder head it burnt over a litre of oil on a track day and now sounds like a bag of spannera :( symptoms suggest blow by on the piston rings/bore wear or something. not 100% sure at the mo. therefore need to fit another bottom end or rebuild the one I have. its tucked away in the garage as im really busy with work at the moment. save up some pennies and a job for the winter!

looking forward to getting it sorted and a good season of track days next year :d

Once through the IVA I gave Westfield the IVA Certificate number (phoned them from the test centre) and they then issued me a certificate of newness 

This has the colour, chassis number, engine number etc and says the chassis, body and components are new, made in the GB by this company. .....

I know when I did my registration I had to fill in a load of other bumf that was not really relevant.

Hope you get it sorted.

Rhett

I got a letter from my mot man when I swapped engines (it was an old engine though) :) :)

• 3 weeks later...

So sent the letter from Westfield along with my photo license card. Still nothing back. Will ring tomorrow. Grrrrrrrrr seems closing the local DVLA offices was a retrograde step! Still hoping for the first drive over Christmas

Surely closing the local DVLA offices has not affected 99.9% of people taxing cars and when no paper disc is required they will have less hassle.

Remember it was your money that paid for these things.

However, I agree the service for IVA registrations should be approved. It may need a dedicated office at Swansea to process them. 

Why the IVA test station can't issue a V5c on a pass beats me though.

Why the IVA test station can't issue a V5c on a pass beats me though.

For the same reason why you can't buy your road tax from the guy that does your MOT. 

Mark, it's not the same circumstances, 

The MOT is carried out by commercial companies and not everyones MOT coincides with tax renewal (not that that is relevant).

The IVA is carried out by government employees (civil servants) on government premises. If a car is passed as fit for registration it should me possible for the officer issuing the pass certificate to start the process to raise the V5c.

As far as I can remember the franchise dealers get registration numbers and start the V5c issuing process on line using Avril.I'm not fully up to date with this system as it was just starting when I retired. However, dealers no longer visit the local DVLA office for a stream of sticky labels with reg numbers on them. (oh the good old days). When they did they used the sticker chosen to complete a form that had the V5c sent to the new registered keeper.

The trouble is Norman that not every car which needs a v5c also requires an IVA therefore you'd be duplicating a process (and have to integrate IT etc) which Swansea would also undertake. This is at a time when government departments are attempting to reduce costs by bringing departments under a single roof. Having the process carried out across multiple sites also introduces inconsistency which has already been shown by the way different local offices undertook registration.

The centrlisisation of registration at Swansea and the closing of the local offices has already vastly sped up the process of reheat registration and more so every application is now being handled exactly the same.

Mark, I used the term " start the process to raise the V5c.", not issue the V5c. It will be easy to install the system the car dealers use to register new cars at the IVA centre for that office to start the process. The registration number is given immediately and the V5c follows in the post. The owner will need an insurance certificate and, in some cases an MOT , It will save all the staff manually processing IVA registrations and save the owners a lot of hassle getting their cars on the road.

Where there's a will there's a way, obviously not much will.

The centrlisisation of registration at Swansea and the closing of the local offices has already vastly sped up the process of reheat registration and more so every application is now being handled exactly the same.

Mark mate, Christmas is a week tomorrow - lay off the sherry or you won't have any left. :p  ;)  :d