Advance Notice: Boardroom Layout Update

Captain Colonial

Dave, wouldn't a suitably democratic message on "Newbies", sorry "Starting line", suggesting new members post up something about themselves, whereabouts they live etc. be added. No pressure, just folk being friendly.

Mark, of course Yellow peril is from Essex, he used to live in the next road to me in Barkingside :)

This strikes me as a very good idea and a great suggestion from the Northern area.

I agree with Norman about the (lack of) need for a 'classic' alternative to the new layout.

although it's blindingly obvious, we are a dedicated marque sports car club first and gossip area second. 

Stuff & Nonsense is by far the most posted in area,

On behalf of the Committee,

Scott Young

The points above sum it up, like it or not the FORUM is primarily a gossip area .

which personally I think is because it’s too closely tied in to the finances of the club hence preventing the forum from flourishing and ultimately providing greater support to the club. 

"starting line" ?   what does that mean to a newcomer ?   the term newbie is an accepted referance to a forum newcomer and is the first thing a newcomer would look for.

just a personal opinion of course

I do not disagree with anything on this subject.

But I use the site mainly to just chat and get away from the wife and life at home. The reason many people own a Westfield. I could invite owners round every night, chill out in a cold garage, take over the kitchen or watch men and motors in the living room. But this would upset the wife and cause issues... Plus imagine the miles Norman would have to cover!!!

I feel that the S&N section has been very beneficial to my use of the forum and allows a informative entry to the club.

Does the layout really make that much of a difference?

If I may be allowed to change the subject slightly, could we now create a committee of a few AO's to gather suggestions and volunteers for additional articles in the magazine. We could have a ladies page, a kids page, a quiz page, a joke page, A few just of the top of my head without thinking about it. Committees no longer have to actually meet to discuss these things, email would suffice.

If you skim back through the various messages and minutes from the committee you'll see a group to assist with the magazine is already been put forward, in fact it was discussed again in the Northern AO meeting. 

Back to the OP. It's a good spot and well presented. I think its a great idea  :t-up:

I agree with the newbie/starting line thing. Should be left as newbie. Starting line is understandable but newbies is the obvious way. Also the newbies is usually just a place to post a pic/info about the car. With regards location etc it should be optional as bit everyone wants to advertise that.

Most other car pages I've been on have the format

Forum stuff I.e rules/specific forum things

Newbies

Model specific areas, not practical for us but fine for others

General chat

Sales

Aob

I think committee is right in that the restructure will promote the club as a technical forum first and social gathering second

Dom, I can't agree with:

I think committee is right in that the restructure will promote the club as a technical forum first and social gathering second

I think the forum is the Westfield Sports Car Club forum. It's both technical and social. Without the social side we wouldn't have as many members.

The reason for not calling it Newbies is to avoid only Newbies posting! Think of it as a starting point, a jumping off point if you like where vaguely Westfield questions as well as introductions can be asked and discussed, hopefully by as many oldies as newbies.

It can have a social element too, as long as it's Westfield related. What it isn't is a showcase for some of the more tangential humour, mankini discussioin and other weird and wonderful posts about obscure topics that many of us, (me included) like to partake in. The place for that is still there of course, just a little further down front the page.

Dom, I can't agree with:

I think the forum is the Westfield Sports Car Club forum. It's both technical and social. Without the social side we wouldn't have as many members.

Absolutely..... To me the club is both fun/social and also a serious side. I think the club is brilliant and that is why I do what I do.

our issue was our 'really' silly side can be really silly and off putting we have had a couple of incidents on boardroom that you want to stand back and say that's not WSCC... And we understand we lost members over them.

Question.

Do we moderate or let them run, it's a tough call and one I'm glad I don't have to make.

So this is where a this compromise comes in.

John, some of the "issues" and lost members, if I'm right about identifying them, are members we can do without.

This club is, almost, 100% friendly and tolerant. As some of you may know, I was on the darkside and you can take my view about how good this club is as being accurate.

No worries... it was a made point.

cheers

Panda

The members in question were 100% welcome paid up WSCC members and sorely missed! but it would be unfair to single them out any further.

Whilst I know what Norm is referring to, that was a small minority of one or two, however, to say about any member "we can do without you" is hardly tolerant thinking, nor is it the impression I would wish to give out.

• Like 1