The Most Dangerous Roads?

steve1432

Just want to talk about an article I found recently:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/britains-10-deadliest-roads-revealed-8901269.html

This got me thinking, what's the most dangerous road you've ever driven on? Some of these on this list don't strike me as particularly dangerous at first glance, but maybe people have different views.

I guessed that outside of the UK, there would be far more dangerous roads, so I did some searching and found this:

http://www.evanshalshaw.com/Blog/blog-most-dangerous-roads-in-the-world.html

Some of these look particularly terrifying, yet thrilling at the same time. Has anyone ever driven across them? What was your experience? And is there anyone that would want to travel across them, just for the thrill? Let me know what you think.

Yes, six favourite localish roads there. Must endeavour to try the others if they're as good.

• Like 1

what's the most dangerous road you've ever driven on?

The ones with Lilac-coloured Honda Jazzes on.

You'll have to explain this to me. Does a dangerous road have great big jaws with very large and sharp teeth. Or do they act like a boa-constrictors and wrap themselves around you.

I've never see a dangerous road, only drivers who drive too fast for the conditions and beyond their capability.

• Like 3

Well said Norm.  Road safety people seem to have no idea about what causes accidents.  It's not speed which causes accidents - it's having to stop too quickly.  There is a crossroads near us which has the full range of warning signs on the main road (A59) and nothing on the minor road.  Accidents are caused by idiots on the minor road pulling out into the major road just in time to get hit :(  :(

Martin

I've done number 6 (A285 Chichester to Petworth) many times in a car (including a 911 convertible) and on several different motorbikes and it never struck me as particularly dangerous... quite a few stretches of the A272 that goes cross country from Kent to Hampshire need more care for example ;)

the A68 from Hexham to Jedbergh with lots of blind crests caused the odd butt clenching moment too :o  :oops:  :(  :laugh:

I must admit, when I've been searching for fresh blatting routes, I occasionally use these shock and horror web sites and articles for ideas. Sure some of the roads are just bad, (for whatever reason) and uninteresting. But when you look some of them up on the map, you find some really interesting routes that score badly due to 2 and 4 wheeled petrolheads flinging ourselves at the scenery while trying to max out that really cool bend etc ;):oops::down:

Motorways with roadworks in rush hour win a vote from me

There was a recent  series of TV programmes of HD 4x4s driven by the most unlikely couples made up from Actors and Comedians undertaking "dangerous roads", mainly in Northern Asia and South America. All these roads were short cuts to avoid lengthy alternative routes, on single tracks up mountains with constant rain and flooding with local coaches and lorries travelling both ways. pulling over was an alternative of getting stuck for many hours or days or pitching over the edge to certain death. By half way they knew it was bordering on suicidal but turning back was not an option, on completion of course it was a wonderful adventure. Brilliant programme I would watch again, I would think twice, but they no doubt unlike the locals had a huge back up team to keep them safe.  

When we moved from Bristol to this rural part of West Wales I assumed my tin top insurance would be reduced.  No such thing.  It actually went up because we are near the A487 which is considered to one of the top 5 most dangerous roads in Wales.  :down:

Needless to say we have since changed insurers.

I used to live very very close to where the photo on dangerous road No 8 was taken (Barrowford) - as Norman says, the road is great - its the way it was driven by (mainly) bikers.

I used this road every day but often in the Westie early on a Sunday morning.

I lived on the first open stretch after leaving the built up area, and sad to say it was mainly the bikes that came to grief, usually terminally....

Sadly at least 5 fatalaties within yards of my house over a 3 year period.

One bike ended up completely underneath a 4x4 when he took a blind corner too wide.

The problem seemed to be where a group of bikers had the last rider(s) trying to keep up with the group leaders - and visibly riding well beyond their experience or capabilities.

As you probably know, I lived near the A57, Snake Inn Pass. I went over the Snake, left at Glossop, down to Chapel-en-le-Frith, along the A6 to Buxton and then over the Cat and Fiddle into Macclesfield at least once a week, summer and winter.

I sometimes then went down to Leak and back across Derbyshire. The other route back was the next road down which joined back to the Cat & Fiddle.

I never had a "moment" or even saw an accident. However some of the bikers seemed to me to have a death wish. 

One thing I notice is that a lot of these are Derbyshire. I lived close to this area and drove/ridden a lot of the roads mentioned. Several have ridiculous 50mph limits imposed in obviously clear areas and cameras "hidden" on the way so overtaking and making progress is impossible. I found myself looking more at my speedo and out for the cameras than at the road. 

IMHO if they labelled the roads better rather than try to make money off them, then the number of accidents would be a lot less.

Paul

I knw and been on 4 of the roads in question....but the one thing these anti motorist don't show is that the majority of the accidents usually involve bikers and most of the fatalities are bikers...and most bikers I've seen on these roads I know ride like proper knobs... I'm not anti biker but I get sick of been rolled into their statistics to tarnish car drivers with the same statistics....they're are statistics then there's government/partnership statistics.

Buzz

This junction

null_zpscf3e1062.png

Every day there's something in one of the walls...

60E4DB5C-31B2-4C01-A2EF-12A28970CBFF-685

Or someone driving the wrong way down a one way street...

null_zps7930fbdc.jpg

Few very simple rules...

Do not cross double white lines

Follow one way signs and do not cross no entry signs

Reduce your speed to 30 mph

Use indicators

Honestly, this would cease my need for therapy and reduce insurance premiums! Every incident is caused by speed plus another factor. Either crossing double white lines, no indicators, someone driving the wrong way down the one way street. But main issue is speed. I followed someone and kept up with then, 53mph!!! This is the normal speed. At 28-32mph I have people flashing lights, hitting horns, overtaking in a dangerous manor and pure aggression! But the junction's suicide... It is also the end of my street!!!