English diff ratios

John Loudon - Sponsorship Liaison

I've been making enquiries into the remanufacture of rare ratio English diff crown wheel and pinion ratios ie - 4.7:1, 4.9:1, 5.1:1 and 3.1:1 (for BECs)

If there is anyone interested in having some of these made, I have found a company who can make a quality product ie-far superior to the pattern ones sold by Burtons and Rally Design. To persuade the chap to go into a production run for them, he needs to gauge interest, so if you are interested, please email him directly stating your interest and desired ratio.

email Kevin Morris at "kamdiffs@netcomuk.co.uk"

Also check out his webste

Regards,

John

Hi John

Have emailed the guy as am interested in the BEC ratio diff!

Hopefully there will be enough interest and it wont be toooooooo expensive!

Might be worth copying this to other areas of the boardroom?

Cheers

Kevin

Have you let "Rally Boy Frodo Nunn" know yet  :D  :devil:  :D  :devil:  :D  :devil:  :D  :devil:  :blush:  :blush:  :blush:  :D

Hi Mark,

Tim is aware by now. I have told him before he wasted his money with Rally Design  :blush:

John

John,

I thought the Rally Design ones were made by CamDiffs? Perhaps they have recently changed suppliers?

Windy

Apparently they are made by someone else - noy KAM diffs. They make Racelines Sierra ratios though...

• 2 weeks later...

Just had a phone call from Kevin Morris at KAM diffs. He is proposiing a production run fo 2.9, 3.1, 4.7 and 5.1 English diff ratios. These are suitable for live axled Westfields and those with the early Westfield diff casings.

If you want one of these, then ring or email him to confirm your interest.

01483 419779 kamdiffs@netcomuk.co.uk

• 4 months later...

Sorry for ressurecting an old post but was searching through to try and find info on the standard Live axle dif and found this..

been playing with CarTest and trying to work out firstly what the standrd dif ratio is and secondly what would be the best option for the R1 Powered westie... 0-60 seems to prefer the 5.1 but what sort of compromise will I have to put up with..? what would be the best all round dif ratio from these guys?

TIA

Tony

Gearing on BEC's seems to favour the higher ratios, with the 3.14 from a Freelander being quite highly thought of, and a 3.38 from a Sierra coming a close second. With a 5.1, I should imagine first gear is all but useless, BUT I have seen very little written about the R1 gear ratios, so I could be waaaaay off beam. If the R1 has a longer first gear than most of the other BEC's, then my theory is shot to sh!t. Can't see why it should have though, unless you've already modified it. How fast are you going at the red line, in first, according to car test?

Blatman thanks for the response, first question I had was what ratio is the standard live axle, not sure whats in there as I didnt buy it and cant find a receipt, Im guessing 3.89..

If thats the case then CarTest (using C*****M settings, need to measure the car up properly) the info is as follows..

3.89 diff???

cartest1.JPG

5.1 diff

cartest2.JPG

Lose a bit of speed in gears but that is offset by accell of course..

Hmmmm........There is obviously a gap in my knowledge somewhere, 'cos I doubt an R1 with a 3.89 diff is going to do 84mph in first gear.......but I know nothing of drop gears and such like that get talked about on BEC installs, or even if you have a drop gear........

And yes, in all probability you have a 3.89 diff........do you happen to know the ratios for each individual gear, and wether there is a drop gear involved between the engine output and the gearbox output?

Graeme at Fluke has an R1 engined Westfield, and may be able to help you with your quest. There is quite a bit of info on his site too......

Have you taken into account the primary reduction ratio (or whatever it's called) in those calcs? Looks to me like you havent.. ;)

Am now switching my car from a 3.62:1 to a 3.14:1 diff ratio to improve top end, FWIW. :t-up:

Have you taken into account the primary reduction ratio (or whatever it's called) in those calcs? Looks to me like you havent.. ;)

Am now switching my car from a 3.62:1 to a 3.14:1 diff ratio to improve top end, FWIW. :t-up:

What the primary reduction ratio?

I took the basic figures for an R1 and added the spec of the westie body and live axle, everything else is straight through as far as I can see from the engine to the dif... Quaife reverse in there but Ive been told thats a 1:1 so nothing to consider there apart from losses. As far as 84 in first Id not like to try it myself but the sums machine behind car test far exceeds my technical use of an abacus... I plummed in the wheel, gear and axle ratios as per the book it did the rest...

Just out of interest whats the primary use of your TWIN engined car... I guess with the power coming out of both lumps you can compromise with a taller dif..