Controlling costs / expert classes

XTR2Turbo

I wouldn't want cars 'controlled' as it is the unique nature of our cars that makes them interesting.

And one of the enjoyable activities at sprints is comparing the differences.

Controlling costs, as Nick said, would add costs elsewhere which would have to be passed on to competitors which could restrict entries.

I feel the objective should be to encourage more entries some how. Part of this is members like James, myself and others who've competed in regular road cars spreading the good word.

Another is club officers trying to dispell some of the myths to entering that I've mentioned above.

I would just like more competitors with similar cars to me - then I'd really be able to tell how fast ( or sloth ) I was. :)

If there's only a few competitors there has to be less classes to make it viable. The more competitors there are the more viable splitting classes into similar cars.

If every member entered the SS then there could be level playing fields within more classes. The same best cars with best drivers would still win the championships and get the FTDs as they should.

We do indeed have a Novice championship including people in classes A to F this year

I have been encouraged this year to see quite a few new faces driving to events and also competing very well indeed. We all started in low powered cars and got hooked by the addictive nature of sprinting. Stick at it long enough and you will be surprised at how quickly you can go and help and advice is available for free here or the paddock. If you drive an "uncompetetive" car (whatever that means) and get the best out of it and yourself then that should be your first target. 

Agree Terry

My non competative 'road' car (windscreen/heavy/non sticky tyres) is likely held back more by my lack of experience.

You're all extremely supportive and helpful of us newbies. I was told I was doing ok for my first events, even if it didn't feel like it and it's difficult to see this and easy to point to my tools! :d

Exactly. Novices dont have to enter classes A or B. Stu Hill won the championship from A just 2 seasons ago and he is no  / was novice

But that was a different class A, John. Only novices could enter classes A & B this last season, so far as I am aware. ???  ???  ???

The cost of safety equipment is one that people raise with me periodically in my Go Motorsport role as a concern when starting Speed events.

Having carried out an informal poll around my peers the consensus was that it is often possible to borrow a race suit (does it really matter if one is a little large?) but a helmet is best to be bought as your own personal item.

Two reasons really; firstly to secure the appropriate fit and secondly so the history is known - i.e. the time of an accident isn't the time to discover an old helmet has previously been weakened through dropping on a hard surface.

Fellow competitors who aren't competing on a given weekend, plus people who have upgraded can be great and willing sources of appropriate loan equipment.

When I started (2009) I got all my PPE (except for my helmet) from eBay - Suit and boots cost me £75!!!  The boots lasted 2 years and the suit is still "in date".

The suit shrunk in the wash :d and I couldn't cope with the banter in the paddock so purchased a new one.  Actually the banter is easy to cope with; we all give and take in equal doses - I just wanted to find a suit that made me look younger. Some of the nicest people in the paddock were heard to mention "wetsuit" and "where are your flippers". I didn't care as I was faster than them on the track  :) . My helmet came from Plays Kool Motorsport and is superb value and fits like a glove (essential).

The point I and others are making is that what on the surface start up costs can look like a lot of money but can be reduced significantly through borrowing "old gear" or places like eBay. Suits are cheap on eBay, not because they are worn out, but because they become out of date for the more serious forms of motorsport (circuit racing and rallying). They are normally ok for sprinting and hillclimbing (check the regs before bidding). As I say I purchased mine for less than £75 five years ago and it is still serviceable and "in date" - I just like pies and beer too much.

As for the car, it was totally roadgoing and if the regs were the same as they are today I would still have that car.  Credit to the SSOT for putting together a set of classes that allows for progression at whatever rate an individual wants or can afford.  

As someone has previously stated, other than for those at the top of their class, the fun is in beating your own time or your regular rivals - we are all competitive by nature.  Stephen Herbert and Steve Everall had a fantastic season this year competing against each other, with no chance of winning class D (sorry guys).  I beat my "personal best" by 2-6% at every event this year other than at Loton Park - I was very pleased with my performance but my main aim for 2014 is that I want to go back to Loton Park and nail it!

The fellowship of the WSCC Speed Series is legendary; once in you won't want to leave. I recently purchased something other than a Westfield; but I will still be there with my Westfield and my other car competing both in the WSCC Speed Series.

All I can say is if there is the smallest desire to have a go then JUST DO IT! You wont regret it but you will always regret it if your don't have a go.

I agree that it would be nice to even it out in the higher classes but its never really gonna happen without ruining the sport for someone else. what i can say though is that the lower classes need more competitors and there is no reason we cant have the battle in the novice class. this year has been great fun and all the newbies have been winding eachother up in the paddock  :laugh:  we just need a few more. ignore the high flyers as they dont concern us at the moment just live for now and give it a go  :t-up:  :t-up:

When I started (2009) I got all my PPE (except for my helmet) from eBay - Suit and boots cost me £75!!!  The boots lasted 2 years and the suit is still "in date".

The fellowship of the WSCC Speed Series is legendary; once in you won't want to leave. I recently purchased something other than a Westfield; but I will still be there with my Westfield and my other car competing both in the WSCC Speed Series.

All I can say is if there is the smallest desire to have a go then JUST DO IT! You wont regret it but you will always regret it if your don't have a go.

:yes:  :yes:  :yes:

I agree that it would be nice to even it out in the higher classes but its never really gonna happen without ruining the sport for someone else. what i can say though is that the lower classes need more competitors and there is no reason we cant have the battle in the novice class. this year has been great fun and all the newbies have been winding eachother up in the paddock  :laugh:  we just need a few more. ignore the high flyers as they dont concern us at the moment just live for now and give it a go  :t-up:  :t-up:

:yes:  :yes:  :yes:

Yep... get out here and have a go,

the more the merrier! (especially with Filfans vodka jellies :p )

I agree with all the points raised above by Paul, Smeg and Filfan.

I'd like to add something I have said before which is that the Sprint School at Curborough and the area events around the country are a fantastic introduction to motorsport.

I bought my car for a shade over £5k and have run on a budget this year that is shoestring.  I've bust a few things on my car and had a few spins but at every new event I have got 15 to 20% quicker over the day./

I bought all my PPE from Playskool to begin with and just got out there.  The car remains quicker than my ability but i'm still enjoying it.  I have scrimped on tyres (by not buying any new ones) but spent a lot on PPE now and a good trailer to make sure I am safe and I can get home in one piece!

Blyton weekend was fantastic battling with TomF and Filfan.

I would still say to anyone thinking about it just have a go - you wont regret it !"!!

Well I'll be there having a go in class B next season  :t-up: yep I did say B, the re-build now has a positive direction with a road registered chassis acquired and feverishly being prepped as I type ( well not as I type, I'm a man and can't multi task according to swmbo )  :d

My winter was supposed to be spent prepping ( costly upgrades had been planned ) my non road going class H car ( still entered as a novice ) but as most of you have seen, my lack of driving talent lead to a rather unfortunate & expensive incident at Barkston a few weeks ago  :blush:

On that point & PPE buy the best you can afford, it might just come in handy one day :yes:

And finally why oh why aren't CAGES mandatory for sprinting, that thing saved my bacon 

I tend to agree on the cage front, but it would 100% put an end to any ambition of entering the SS for me :(

Second hand race suit is a good idea. It's just the idea of wearing it I don't like!

And finally why oh why aren't CAGES mandatory for sprinting, that thing saved my bacon 

Cost !!

It's as simple as that, as you will already have noticed there is a great desire to keep costs to a minimum because sprinting / hillclimbing has always been seen as low cost motorsport. I am sure you will be amazed to learn that you can actually legal compete in a roadgoing classes with a westfield without a braced roll-over bar. Personally I think you would be stupid to do so, but according to the MSA rules you can.

There is a constant drive to allow easy access to motorsport and Sprinting / Hillclimbing certainly does that. When you see parents spending £ 50,000 on a competitive seasons karting for their kids it's crazy as for much less than that they can drive a top sprint car which has the performance of an F1 car. OK it's not the conventional route to F1, but there a lots of sprint/hillclimb drivers who have gone on to racing.

I like it just the way it is :)

On my five year old medium soft tyres, light weight duck tape approach and no carpets ;)

Then remove the timing strut and numbers to do the school run on Monday morning in the same car :) :) :)

Just need more to get out having fun

Watching the fast guys whooping Catarams and single seaters is also excellent entertainment too

;)

Can't wait for next year so exited :) :) :)

Class A and B are now novice only

. This was done to encourage newbies to 'have a go' and be in a class with drivers of a similar experience.

( the old class A/B structure that used list 1A tyres and was based on the times of A/C and B/D became redundant with the universal allowance of list 1B tyres at all events)

I think it has worked this year. We have seen quite a few new faces . They have all enjoyed battleing against each other on the day irrespective of their position in the class.

This years Novice champion won thro driving skill, not power .

Please remember that whatever classes we choose to run in the Speed series has no bearing to classes we run in 'on the day' .We have no control over the classes chosen by the clubs who run the events.

Next year my two daughters are hoping to 'have a go' but they will have to put up with the fact that their std 1600 xflow with about 75bhp at the wheels will have to compete against 200+hp Westys , Caterhams , Strikers etc at the meetings. So be it! They just want to have fun!

Competitors such as Tim Nunn, John Loudon , Tim pennington and myself all started with xflow powered cars and gradually developed and improved them over the years ( I used a xflow for 8 seasons and had great fun). Indeed our 2013 champion ran a virtually std red top until a couple of years ago .

I wouldnt expect to win straight away if I took up , say, Shooting or Golf or Squash or anything, so perhaps people are expecting too much if they think that they can just buy a car or start competing and be competetive straight away . It takes time to learn the tracks/lines and the techniques needed. But is  that not part of the challenge ?

The committee review the class structure every year to try and ensure it caters for as many car types as we can and to try and align this with the National scene but it just cant suit everybody. There is such a diverse range of cars , spec, engines, power etc

I definately enjoyed my first season, with a very basic car, as much as any since.

Lot's of good replies.

I actually think that the current regs really encourage novices because class A and B are limited to novices and the target times reflect this.

Also as we have seen you don't need lot's of power to do well as a novice.

Of course there are costs to getting started but if you already have the car I don't think the barriers are that great.

What prompted my original post was more the costs of progressing from novice to expert classes and upgrading the car to be competitive.

As a simple example say you had a standard 130 bhp 1800 car and MT75 box - Class A no problem get out there and enjoy.  But after a year or two and more than 20 events you then become an expert and go into class C.  Of course target times are more aggressive because better and more experienced drivers.  But to a degree are they also better because the 1800 is now likely to be mated to a close ratio dog box and an engine running different cams / throttle boddies, injection etc etc.  and 200bhp. So if you think you need a 'competitive' car your are looking at adding a fair amount of cash.  I have had discussions with a few competitors going through this thought process.

I was just concerned we don't attract new drivers and then loose them as they become experts having completed 20 events and feel they need to spend lots extra on their car to compete in the higher class.

One idea may be to look not just at the number of events entered but the times achieved for novice / expert status  ...

But seeing as no one else has picked up this maybe not the issue I thought it might be