Controlling costs / expert classes

XTR2Turbo

I hope this topic is not seen as an criticism of Nick or the SSOT as it certainly is not.

It's the time of year when things are reviewed and so always good to have a debate.

I also don't think anyone is saying it is broken but it would be a shame if costs, particularly in lower classes continued to creep up putting competitors off.

no have not seen it as that at all wuv ,just think it must be hard for them all year every year trying please everyone and its usually this time of year when things start popping up on the forum ,the last few years has seen some ss bashing though :down:

as I said earlier what ever they do is a compromise its just picking the best compromise

It's always worth having the debate and don;t worry, I don;t take it as any kind of insult.

I too would like to find a solution to forming a class structure that allows good competition, without spending a lot of money.

What is interesting is that you are all running into the same problems that the SSOT has, it's very difficult to do, there is no easy answer. Just ask anyone that goes Karting, where a 5bhp honda engine, that costs a few hundred pounds new, is suddenly worth £ 2000 when it produces 5.5 BHP

Whatever restrictive rules you have someone will always get round then generally by spending more money !!

MLC suggests a 40mm dia on carbs or throttle bodies, but F3 cars have using a 26mm single restrictor for years and they make 200 bhp, So I am not sure that would work?

Anything we do, would have to be under the MSA rules and would competitors be prepared to pay an entry of say £ 100, so that we could hire a rolling road for a couple of events to check cars ? We would also have to hire a scrutineer to supervise. That is the only way to do it. But having said that it's very easy to run 2 maps and just run the low power one on the rollers.

At the same time we could weigh the cars and maybe have a BHP/ton limit. But again, very easy to fill the tank or put 20Kg of lead somewhere. just before going on the scales.

So keep the ideas coming, but as I have said, unless we decide to leave it to trust, there has to be a way to Police it, and that costs money. Is everyone prepared to pay extra for that ?

I think this thread has proved it would be difficult to impliment/run a restricted power class to reduce cost

But what about an intermediate level of driver

Novice-Inter-Expert

This would not be hard to police

Could be decided by -Time, or number events or whatever

Run in a similar way to novice championship

Any thoughts?

When I started sprinting the road classes were all limited to 1A tyres, these lasted much longer and were cheaper than 1B tyres and also with the limited grip on offer wasn't really any point having above 200bhp as you couldn't put it down very easily. If you wanted to run 1B tyres you were welcome in the Modified Specials class (event rules rather than WSCC SS classes).

Obviously, competitors could agree voluntry to run 1A tyres without a rule change but I don't thank that would happen.

I think this thread has proved it would be difficult to impliment/run a restricted power class to reduce cost

But what about an intermediate level of driver

Novice-Inter-Expert

This would not be hard to police

Could be decided by -Time, or number events or whatever

Run in a similar way to novice championship

Any thoughts?

Good idea. For me number of events would be better as it may take several years to do the equivalent of a full season.

If we are going for a handicap type system rather than a simple novice - expert split, then I think in all seriousness age should be brought into it. Maybe power divided by age?

If we are going for a handicap type system rather than a simple novice - expert split, then I think in all seriousness age should be brought into it. Maybe power divided by age?

*checks profile*

:d

• Like 1

Cracking Idea Stephen. Can I enter as well, might stand a chance that way :d :D :d

But i am older than you Nick so I would benefit more! :laugh:

limit the amount of rounds you can drop per season. would save some a few quid :d

but its there choice

• Like 1

How about classes based on IQ level?   :devil:  ;)  :d 

But i am older than you Nick so I would benefit more! :laugh:

Yeh, but we are going to set the barrier at 60 Tel, so  there won;t be any difference. Reckon we could still show those young en's a thing or two :d :D

How about classes based on IQ level?   :devil:  ;)  :d

Is that the only way your going to win then Scott :d :D

Is that the only way your going to win then Scott :d :d

Are you implying high or low IQ, Nick?  Bearing in mind I know where you live... :d :D

Are you implying high or low IQ, Nick?  Bearing in mind I know where you live... :d :d

Neither Scott, just was this your answer to car / driver talent  :p  :p  :oops:  :o  :suspect:  ???  :blush: