Why rear hubs but no front uprights/hubs in the starter kit?

TableLeg

Does anybody know any technical reasons why Westfield do not supply front hubs but supply rear ones?

The starter kit I am looking has the rear alloy uprights as well as the bar shafts and wishbones for the rear and on the front only the upper and lower wishbones but no uprights.

I just wondered why this might be.

I presume you have to therefore buy these at additional cost.

???

I guess its because there isn't really any option for the rears but there a few options when it comes to the front.

I guess its because there isn't really any option for the rears but there a few options when it comes to the front.

Thanks FILFAN for the reply,

Can you possibly enlighten me as to what options are available for the fronts?

I built an SDV so no advice on the hubs part but you can add and remove options for the starter kit. I essentially specced it to be a rolling chassis and came out at a similar price I think

Do you mean the front uprights? The Hub is the spinning bit with the wheel studs fixed in that attaches to the upright.

Because historically you would use front hubs/uprights from  a Ford Cortina, along with brake callipers and discs. 

Many people  still choose to use this cost saving alternative.

In terms of after market, both Hi Spec and Rally Design do Aluminium uprights.

Does anybody know any technical reasons why Westfield do not supply front hubs but supply rear ones?

The starter kit I am looking has the rear alloy uprights as well as the bar shafts and wishbones for the rear and on the front only the upper and lower wishbones but no uprights.

I just wondered why this might be.

I presume you have to therefore buy these at additional cost.

???

westfield do a alloy front upright as a option ,as said most use the cortina uprights as its a easy cost saving

I should think the Cortina uprights are quite a bit heavier? The Westfield ones are cast alluminium, whereas the Cortina ones are a steel forging (or cast steel?)

I'm sure I read somewhere that the greatest saving is changing the hubs rather than the uprights though every little helps

The big difference is the hubs as Phil said. The cast uprights are slightly lighter, but unless you're down to count ingot he ounces, not really bye nought o make it worthwhile swapping for swapping sake.

The interchangeable steering arms for shorter ones are an advantage of the aly hubs. (Westfield ones, anyway)

Then again, the aly uprights aren't as tough and strong as the Cortina ones, particularly in the steering arm department, which is a bit of a weak spot on the aly jobs. (Well, more the way they attach than the actual arms themselves)

Don't know if they still have the offer but Westfield had a good deal on with the ally uprights and ap brakes

Thanks again,

All good replies and info.

:)