Westfield customer service good?

TableLeg

Hi I am newbie on here but not a newbie to kit cars now looking at my 3rd build. My previous two cars were also 7 type cars but not Westfield.

I have (not unexpectedly) been researching Westfield builds and trying to ascertain if they are a company who can be relied upon and in those (hopefully rare) circumstances when something does go wrong that they resolve any issues quickly.

My second build (a well known company who I shall refrain from naming) has a good product but not always very good customer service. Parts not being supplied when they say they will be, parts missing from an order.

How is Westfield compared to this?

I have come across a Westfield build page today, very detailed and lengthy but having read it there are a lot of issues like that mentioned above.

I would be very interested in peoples opinion of Westfield for people like myself considering parting with a lot money.

I fully understand people may not want to comment negatively if that is how they feel so please send me message if that is the case.

Many thanks to any who reply.

I've read of some unhappy customers on here too, but can honestly say in my case they've been great.

Yes there were plenty of bits missing from my kit when I picked it up, and it took a while to get some of them, but they never quibbled when I reported things missing and sent the stuff on as soon as they got it.

I'm sure most of the problems are with suppliers, but in my case they were open about saying 'we're waiting on them arriving' and were forwarded when promised. Stuff off the shelf I often got next day.

They've always been helpful on the phone too, although again I've read of people struggling to get through, whereas I've never had a problem.

I've not had any dealing with any other kit company though so have nothing to compare against.

No experience of other manufactures but have always found Westfield a delight to deal with. When buying the kit kept changing my mind re spec and even when it came to returning items always very pleasant to deal with. Used a lot of parts not from Westfield engine gearbox diff ect but they helped when I had issues; they get my vote.

Most people have had good experiences, a few have had poor experiences, a small number of those, complain of some really poor experiences, likewise a small number report exceptional service, way beyond their expectations.

I've always been really please with the service I've had. And they've defiantly gone "above and beyond" on numerous occasions.

That said, big though Westfield are in the kit industry, they ain't huge so short falls from their suppliers can have a serious knock on effect if they happen.

And some things just are the way they are. We joke and moan about kit contents shortages, you know, the odd missing bits! But then every forum I visit has exactly the same moans about "their" manufacturer, right up to and including Caterham! 

As for what the backup is like, well I can only speak from my own experience. And for me it's always been superb. Two, instances in particular sum it up. The first was after my factory supplied, (one of the first batch) trackday silencer failed the radius test on the exhaust tip. The factory custom made me an insert that would fit into the existing pipe, with the correct size rolled edge on it, in time for me to take a retest three or four days later. (If I'd waited for a complete replacement silencer it would have been several weeks).

The second was when I ordered an aluminium ducting kit for the radiator. I needed it on and working prior to a Welsh weekend trip on one of the hottest weeks of that year. Between my original parts enquiry, and the actual order, the entire production batch of ten had been bought and was being dispatched to the Dutch race series. Gavin, knowing how urgent it was arranged a back up plan, should the next batch not arrive in time, whereby the on site metalwork/fabricator guy would make one up for me by hand. The ducting made it to me in time, and the weekend went without hitch.

Or there's the time I bought my roof last year, I'd originally arranged with Gav to collect from the factory once it was ready. It arrived in stock the week before last years Donington show, so Russ brought it over their for me to collect, sat in the trailer with the drift car, to save me the trip to the factory.

• Like 1

Tableleg, welcome to the club, get the order for the car in and join the club with full membership is my advice.

It's far more than if the factory are helpful or not. It's also about the knowledge and experience in the club both of which are passed on to those who need it in bucketfuls. 

Having many years experience with suppliers and dealing with motor traders all the time I find the the helpfulness provided is somewhat down to the way the customer deals with a problem. If it's not urgent and you say so they will get to know that when you say it is urgent they will go the extra mile. Those who come on with everything is urgent, shouting at them because it's day or so late and that the service is crap don't seem to get that much co-operation. Human nature. 

By the way, I can't comment on Westfield service as I have a Caterham. But I've never heard of a Caterham kit being delivered without bits missing.

My opinion is that Westfield do a great job. The problem sometimes is expectation from customers does not match what a small company can offer. And in the scale of kit cars they are big, in the scale of a manufacturer they are small so you cannot expect them to keep every single bit in stock all the time.

Many parts are scourced from outside companies, who let Westfield down and even when they give a delivery date again they let them down.

Others will say why not change supplier. Well sometimes there is no one else to go to that would be quicker.

I have dealt with them for over 10 years, built two cars and have never had an issue where it has been not resolved quickly. Sometime, I suspect, people give the guy's at Westfield a hard time and then wonder why they are not treated as a friend.

I would recommend them to anyone.

I've read of some unhappy customers on here too, but can honestly say in my case they've been great.

Yes there were plenty of bits missing from my kit when I picked it up, and it took a while to get some of them, but they never quibbled when I reported things missing and sent the stuff on as soon as they got it.

I'm sure most of the problems are with suppliers, but in my case they were open about saying 'we're waiting on them arriving' and were forwarded when promised. Stuff off the shelf I often got next day.

They've always been helpful on the phone too, although again I've read of people struggling to get through, whereas I've never had a problem.

I've not had any dealing with any other kit company though so have nothing to compare against.

Exactly this for me, if not right first time very helpful in resolving any issues.

Sean.

Thanks everybody for the replies. It certainly appears that Westfield are doing a good job.

:) 

The parts guys are great, as long as you treat them in a way you expect to be treated, they will bend over backwards to try and help

• Like 1

The technical support from Westfield throughout the build was excellent although relied on a question being asked rather than them supplying supplementary information/updates to the manual - always back up an email with a phone call.

Within the first year, I've had a faulty alternator and an aluminium cooling pipe that had a pin hole in the weld - both were replaced at no cost with next day delivery.

My kit had a large number of shortages when I picked it up but all were despatched at Westfield's cost and I completed the build in 5 months from pick up to IVA.

The WSCC members also provide excellent support and I would join a local group during the build rather than wait until the car is on the road.

And to add a brand new example..,

Some scum bag drove into my Westfield in a car park while I was using it for work last week. Crunched the nose cone's front edge badly, but that's it.

Had, a particularly busy and stressful week last week with one thing and another, so I clean forgot that I'm due at the Total Kitcar Live show this weekend! Can't really show up as a Westfield/WSCC ambassador with a cracked and holed nosecone. So frantically called parts this morning and spoke to Gus. Explained my predicament, and asked if there was any chance they might have either a yellow or black ZK nose in stock, wasn't really very hopeful though. (It's a black and yellow car, so can get away with either).

Couple of minutes later, Gus is back, laughing, telling me to do the lottery tonight cause I'm on a lucky streak! They've actually got a black nose cone and he'll get it shipped to me for tomorrow. Sure enough, less than thirty minutes later, the FedEx shipping details are through via email, it's been packed and is awaiting collection at Kingswinford for delivery Wednesday.

Fantastic service, as usual.

Just got to get the damn thing fitted in time.

:black-westy: 

When they have had the parts in stock (and I can get through on the phone) the service has been nothing short of wonderful. If it isn't in stock it falls some way short in my experience to date. I really don't want to be offered a call back every time I chase something up if you're going to forget to do it. I'd rather be told to call back in two days or whatever. I'd still be confident enough in them to buy a new build if I could afford to though. I was impressed at personal touch with their service when I went up to the factory with Dom. That goes for the sales side too.

spoke to Gus.

Is Gus the secret love child of Gavin and Russ? Or do they have someone else new in parts :laugh:

I personally can only repeat most of what's already been said and have personally only ever received exceptional customer service and it's always been a pleasure talking with their team, notably Simon, Mark, Gavin and Russ :t-up:

• Like 1

:laugh:  damned spell checker hadn't seen what it had done to Gav. (Sorry Gav)

On another point, my hood was quoted as taking four weeks last year, in the end took five. I'd been due in the area anyway, the week it should have been ready and would have collected it. The delay meant I'd have needed to make a special trip, so Gav arranged for Russ to take it to Donington with him to the kit car show, which I was going to anyway. And I collected it from there.