Pennines to Pyrenees 2013 official thread

John Williams (Panda) - Joint Manchester AO

Just realised that 22nd is a Sunday. All restaurants will be closed. May have to meet on the motorway services. Leave it with me.

The Col du Toumalet is a great route that is near Tarbes and should be driven as its a fantastic route

If you really have to go to H it would be better to go G to I via Angers. If you've already booked somewhere at H (is this Tours), then no problem. Only there's a large restaurant complex open on Sunday near Angers.

In the meantime I'll find somewhere for lunch on Sunday near Tours.

The locations that I put on the map are where we are staying and won't change (prepaid for you see)

Happy to look at any routes as long as acceptable with all the party. 

Didn't know the eating places are all closed on a Sunday, good info Norm.

Terry

It official, tried to put the suitcase on the back of the Westy and it hangs over by about 2 inches. Might want to put up the hood you see.

SWMBO away to put the stuff in the big carry bag like i suggested in the first place. I bet the iron and the curling tongs make it and my sock and underpants don’t LOL

Terry

• Like 1

told you panda-air are doing good rates on carrying luggage....

:-)

John, you should see it, what a laugh. I'm disappearing into the garage to keep out of the pots and pans flying about the place

Terry

Terry, I thought so. No problem.

Not all restaurants will be closed but it's not normal for them to be open for lunch. The smaller places will be closed. In the two larger towns near us one will have no restaurants open tonight and the other will have one. However it will not be open at lunch time.

No shops will be open but a few small supermarkets may be open 9-12.

Sundays are almost a complete shutdown in France, HGVs are not allowed on the roads unless that have livestock or perishables. You are not allowed to use garden machinery or tractors unless it's to feed livestock.

We have two Chinese buffet restaurants, one about 20 minutes and the other 40 minutes away. They are open 7/7 lunch and evening.

I've sent Jean-Marie a PM as he lives about 40 kms from Tours so may know of a restaurant open for lunch.

Some shops and garages are closed on Mondays as well, usually those open on Saturday.

Always get fuel at a supermarket, it's much cheaper. Most take cards in the pump so are open 24/7

Out of curiosity, will the convoy be adopting the Top Gear-style southern USA road trip hi-jinks of writing highly inflammatory words on each other's cars in order to deliberately provoke angry responses from annoyed local French citizens, and will you video the results for us?  I'm sure we can all help with some wording suggestions for you. :devil:

told you panda-air are doing good rates on carrying luggage....

:-)

How much for the missis  :oops:

Marcus, I bet SWMBO hasn't seen that post? Wonder if the Panda can fit 2 in?

Scott, bet you could come up with some crackers but don't want to bring them all out on strike just yet. Mind you reading Norm's post's about Sunday seems like one to me.

Terry

Wonder if the Panda can fit 2 in?

Terry

Shouldn't be a problem, once we get the PMR radio's sorted we can still be in touch  :oops:

The Col du Toumalet is a great route that is near Tarbes and should be driven as its a fantastic route

Just found it on the Map.  Depending on time might just try to factor it in, cheers Terry  :yes:

Terry, I thought so. No problem.

Not all restaurants will be closed but it's not normal for them to be open for lunch. The smaller places will be closed. In the two larger towns near us one will have no restaurants open tonight and the other will have one. However it will not be open at lunch time.

No shops will be open but a few small supermarkets may be open 9-12.

Sundays are almost a complete shutdown in France, HGVs are not allowed on the roads unless that have livestock or perishables. You are not allowed to use garden machinery or tractors unless it's to feed livestock.

We have two Chinese buffet restaurants, one about 20 minutes and the other 40 minutes away. They are open 7/7 lunch and evening.

I've sent Jean-Marie a PM as he lives about 40 kms from Tours so may know of a restaurant open for lunch.

Some shops and garages are closed on Mondays as well, usually those open on Saturday.

Always get fuel at a supermarket, it's much cheaper. Most take cards in the pump so are open 24/7

Didn't know sundays were that quiet over there, sounds like a big breakfast will be in order  :laugh:

Out of curiosity, will the convoy be adopting the Top Gear-style southern USA road trip hi-jinks of writing highly inflammatory words on each other's cars in order to deliberately provoke angry responses from annoyed local French citizens, and will you video the results for us?  I'm sure we can all help with some wording suggestions for you. :devil:

Feel free, although I think it might create enough of a stir driving 6 Westfields through sleepy French villages especially the way Norman describes them  :laugh:  :laugh:

John, you should see it, what a laugh. I'm disappearing into the garage to keep out of the pots and pans flying about the place

Terry

Didn't Caroline tell you Terry?  the pots and pans are coming with her, she's chucking them to you to pack  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Shes no chance, only just managed to get the kitchen sink in.

Going to take some potted paste and buy a french chic stick for Sunday lunch.

Terry