Trailers

scott beeland

I've started trawling the net looking at getting a trailer (not a newie   :(  though).

Would I be best looking at single or twin axle?

What else to look for in  a good trailer for my needs?

seen one on www.racecarsdirect.com (no.38 in transporters for sale bit). Obviously I'd have to go see it but is this a normal sort of price for this kind of trailer?

Conversely someone mailed me locally with a single axle (open) that needs paint and new lights at £250. Not seen it yet but has had v recent use apparently.

Any advice would be great

I bought my trailer for £250, I admit it's not the best thing in the world and in no way as good as a Brian James jobby, but then again I'm skint and am lucky to have a Westfield at my age, a trailer is a trailer it may look shabby but it does the job  :)

Mine's a single axle and quite honestly they are easier to move about than a twin axled one and I *think* getting the balance right is easier, but am happy to be corrected.

Mine was a converted caravan chassis I think.

Have a look about, a trailer is a trailer, depends on how much you want to spend.

HTH

A twin axle Brian James Minno is probably the ideal - but at a price .....

The advantages of a twin axle are :-

1) shared load over 4 wheels

2) better straight line stability

3) less risk of an 'omigod' scenario if a tyre blows

Downside:-

1) not as easy to manœuvre off the tow vehicle as a single axle trailer

2) increased weight

3) more costly than a single axle

Whatever you buy, a trailer is not a trailer unless it is strong enough for the job - it is your pride and joy on the back and about 600Kg of 'projectile' if anything nasty happens!

I would not recommend buying any trailer that is not braked.

I prefer 4 wheeled trailers. Inherently more stable, and if you lift the front wheels off the floor with the jockey wheel, they're just as easy to move as a two wheeled trailer. Balance on a 4 wheeled trailer is prety easy to get close enought to being spot on. I position my car until the trailer sits level on all 4 wheels when not hooked up to the car, and with the jockey wheel retracted, then move the car forward on the bed about an inch. Job done........at least, it works for me. Once you have a nice balance point, make a mark on the trailer somewhere so that you can see it from the drivers seat, and line it up spot on every time......or use wheel chocks........

Mornin' Stepps....

More succint advice from a "pro tower"........... :)  :)

I've towed my Westy on both single and twin axle trailers.

Give me the twin axle any day, far more stable on a fast road or motorway.

Rich

Mornin' Stepps....

More succint advice from a "pro tower"...........

Mornin' Blatters ..... was disappointed to see your car at Stoneleigh on Monday ( I assume it was your car? ) but to not actually meet up with you at last for a chat. This seems to be a theme following the show as several people had the same sort of experience!

Yeah. I saw on another thread that you were there, and was equally disappointed that we didn't bump in to each other. Next time..........

I towed my car to Kent today and even in the pouring rain and winds my twin axle was very stable, even on the bridge on the M25 over the river - anything up to about 80 mph was no problem at all.

The trailer is very old and very heavy !  If you buy an older trailer it's possibly going to be much heavier than a modern Brian James.  I'm sure my trailer weighs almost as much as the car will when it's finished.  The car I borrowed (2 litre Mondeo auto) could only manage to maintain 60mph up a steep hill on the M20 and I know other people don't have that problem towing Seven type cars.

As Blatman says extend the jockey wheel and moving it around isn't too difficult even on your own.  The weight is the main problem and that's primarily because it's made from girders (looks like it !;).  The rust is well hidden under a coat of hammerite paint and a service at the local trailer centre sorted out the brakes and electrics.

One advantage of an older trailer, apart from cost, is that it's  less likely to be stolen too.

My trailer DOES weigh more than my Westy.

Weighed them both on Saturday. The Westy was 410kgs, the trailer was 500!

Heavy trailer for sale!!

Cheers,

Al.

Try before you buy  :D  if you can get the car on it and try it out. The rest has been said above, but the weight means it MUST by law be a braked trailer, check they work  ;)  and also that the hitch does not push in a long way before they come on (can be adjusted).

Personally give me a 4 wheel any day.  :D

Ok. I'm looking at a trailer in Warrington on Sunday. It's a 4 wheeler  that needs a bit of a tidy and it's v v cheap.

Anyone able to come along to give a second opinion ( I'm a trailer virgin you see).

Thanks. Scott

Also. For a winter project; what's involved in making it covered? Would be looking to material cover it (not ally) to keep weight down.

Yes I've looked at some covered ones on the net; but this one is mega cheap (if it's any good) so I could probably mod it for less than buying a covered. (no tonneau/ hood on car)

Make sure that you can actually drive your car up the ramps to get it on. My first trailer had short ramps / high wheelbase (ex caravan chassis) resulting in a large angle at their joint to the trailer bed. The result was that the westfield's body contacted the inner edge of ramps and bed runners needing 2 builders planks under the end of each ramp just to get the car on.

Admittedly, you could unhitch the trailer and tilt the front up, but it is a faff  :p This will also need some sliding stands at the back to stop the trailer tipping when you put the car on.

John

Hi Scott, have a word with Ash Mason regarding getting it covered, he has done his own fabricating for the frame and got a company to cover it :D

Cheers

Stu