Got my S2000 :-)

simon.white

Hello all!

I joined the club earlier this year, but have been mostly lurking due to:

A)  Having a lot more to learn than to teach!

B) Being between toys

Happy to say part (B) of that is now resolved, as I picked up a lovely shiny MegaS2000 from the factory on Monday.

Piccies here:  http://imgur.com/a/eE6dN#0

First impressions after 70 or so miles:  

1) The V8 bonnet looks much better in the flesh than in the photos and IMHO works surprisingly well with an FW rear considering they were designed apart.

2) I've not really been able to access the performance yet, as I'm trying to work my own confidence up slowly on the roads and the tyres and brakes aren't bedded in yet.  But, having driven the demonstrator, it's obviously going to be quick.

3) The back end seems to be a lot more flightly than I remember my old Duratec Westy being - even at low speeds, a small change in road surface will seem to send the back wheels skittering to one side or the other (only by a tiny amount, but still...) .  My previous Westfield had nitron dampers, a rear diffuser and a rear ARB which this car lacks, so maybe that's the difference, maybe I need to stiffen the rear dampers or maybe it's just an issue of myself getting used to the car.  Plus, of course, the rear tyres are still very fresh.

4)  I much prefer the bigger harness in this car to the 2" I had in my previous, in terms of comfort and access.

Mostly, though, it's good to be back in a Westfield and I'm looking forward to some sun over the bank holiday weekend!

Si

very nice and good to see another new car leaving the factory

Looks gorgeous, congratulations!

Re: 3   I'd check the rear damper settings, it may already be set too stiff which could make it a bit twitchy as it can't absorb the bumps enough 

Very nice car :cool:

Thanks for the advice Peter - I'll let the tyres bed in a bit, and if it's still a bit twitchy I'll give it a couple of clicks towards soft

Very nice.

No probs, I'm sure you've checked tyre pressures already but depending on the exact tyres fitted some can be more sensitive than others due to stiffer sidewalls...

you've got some nice roads to play around on down there, I lived in Westbury on Severn for a couple of years and had a few blasts round the Forest of Dean :)

I have pretty much the same car and manage the open it up on the way back from the iva test and was more than happy with mine.it sounds awesome over 6000 rpm and really moves . :)

20130818_110208_zps0188bcec.jpg

I have a red fw duratec interested how much better your s2000 will be   I would love one 

I have had a new duratec straight out the box and was very disappoint with it  .only driven the s2000 35 miles and the two car are totally different the s2000 being far better . think the s2000 engine straight out the donor car is a great engine.

really like the car mate. Ive got an s2000 powered one, also in red... but the fw rear, combined with the black side panels looks :cool:

nice buy. what ecu are westfield using for the s2000? is it omex? or do they leave that bit to you, as I know you have to source the engine and box yourself...

How does the S2000 compare with a throttle bodied Duratec? Your old car sounded reasonably high-spec but I'm guessing getting standard S2000 power (240bhp?) still takes a fair injection of cash.

Correct WF use an Omex ecu Timmeh.

How does the S2000 compare with a throttle bodied Duratec? Your old car sounded reasonably high-spec but I'm guessing getting standard S2000 power (240bhp?) still takes a fair injection of cash.

they do reccon that the s2000 never really achieves its quoted 237bhp, but generally is around the 225-230 mark.. Either way its a lot of power in a westfield. You guys running a programmable ecu are better off, as your vtec comes in around 1000revs earlier than standard like mine... this makes a huge difference to the daily driver- when I come to overtake, Im very often in between gears, and end up pulling off with around 5000revs, and have to wait till 5900 for vtec to kick in.

I cant comment on the duratec, but it is massively lighter than the s2000. If money wasn't an issue, id still go down the Honda engine route tho, but use a different gearbox. Not just for the gear-ratio aspect, but also weight, and mods required for it to fit. its simpler with something like a type 9 shape- (elite box would be nice too ;-))

if I ever get finished with my project, the next one will also involve an s2000 engine. I think its a cracker, bang for buck by far the best out there for a westy.