WSCC Area Mailing Lists

adhawkins

Hi all,

Another feature I provided over the years to Area Organisers was the ability to have announcement and discussion mailing lists for each area.

This facility was only taken up by a couple of areas, and as far as I can tell is no longer really being used. As a result, I propose to disable these mailing lists on 1st October, 2013. Any mail archives will then be deleted from my servers on 1st November 2013.

If any AOs feel particularly strongly about this, then I might be persuaded to leave them running if there is sufficient demand. Please contact me via email (andy@gentlyhosting.co.uk) if you have any comments.

Thanks

Andy @ Gently Hosting

I AM NOT VOLUNTEERING, but a newsletter with the area's activities and personal news like arrival of little feet, weddings, (should that be the other way round?), birthdays, kids exam results, you know all the good things. Some jokes, funny or interesting photos and, most important a table of area meetings with date and venue as well as links to the venue location may get more folk along and/or get neighbours to visit.

Who thinks that's a good idea?

I'll stick a vote about it on S&N.

Must have missed this feature, sorry. Would be useful for me as I currently cut and paste email addresses into outlook. How does it work then, part of the forum backend, list server using member database or something else?

Banksy, you can do this already with the quarterly Excel spreadsheet of members I send out to AOs (latest one was yesterday).  Just copy the email addresses of your local members from it and paste them in the Bcc box in the Outlook email you're sending - simples. :)

Pretty sure Pistol Pete uses this for Essex and Kent and it seems quite useful  :t-up:

• Like 1

Banksy, you can do this already with the quarterly Excel spreadsheet of members I send out to AOs (latest one was yesterday).  Just copy the email addresses of your local members from it and paste them in the Bcc box in the Outlook email you're sending - simples. :)

Yep, do that at the mo, was wot I said. Thought Andy's system was something a bit different rather than me copy and pasting every time, i.e. a proper managed mail list system. (something I could/should have set up on the area website I 'spose but...)

Must have missed this feature, sorry. Would be useful for me as I currently cut and paste email addresses into outlook. How does it work then, part of the forum backend, list server using member database or something else?

It's a list server (mailman). It doesn't use the membership database, your area members would have to visit a web page to sign up.

Just tried searching for my original announcement, but search doesn't seem to find it.

Andy

Pretty sure Pistol Pete uses this for Essex and Kent and it seems quite useful  :t-up:

I don't have an Essex and Kent list set up, so he must be using some other system.

Andy

OK, thanks Andy. I'll stick to my local method for now. Would be nice to have such a feature via the wscc website or IP Board in the future though  ;)

I don't have an Essex and Kent list set up, so he must be using some other system.

Andy

No, thanks to the mailing list I just use ctrl C followed by ctrl V for Essex and Kent members

:t-up:  :t-up:  :t-up:  :t-up:  :t-up:  :t-up:

• 2 months later...

These lists are now disabled, and due to be deleted in the next few days.

If anyone needs content from them, then please let me know soon or it will be deleted.

Andy