Exhaust packing

nigel

:( Can anybody help?

I'm in need of silencing my exhaust - the max noise regs that Curborough  now has to comply to is getting a tad close to my 'usual' dB ???  :0  :angry:

I run a VX through a SBD manifold & end can. Apart from not really knowing what that means, I usually hit 103dB - 105dB :p

Please can anyone advise how to pack it (easy tiger :t-up: ), what to use and how to do it? :durr:  :durr:

All advice (about how to pack exhausts :blush: ) will be greatly appreciated.

Ta muchly

Buy some basalt wadding from Merlin. 1Kg *should* be enough, assuming your can isn't completely empty......

Put on a dust mask...seriously........

Whip off one end of the SBD can by undoing the 4 or 5 allen bolts you can see at either end (once the can is off the car, naturally). Doesn't matter which end......

Remove all of what's left of whatever is in there now.

Marvel at the crap "heat proof" paper thin tin foil lining.........which will have mostly disintegrated........

Observe how the wire wool component is wrapped around the perforated tube section. It's a b******* to re-fit, so pay attention..........

Get some 3M spray mount aerosol adhesive.

Get some heat proof blanket material, sometimes called "turbo blanket", again from Merlin. IIRC, one metre should be enough.

Spray adhesive on the dull side of the blanket, and inside the can.

Stick the blanket in.

Re-fit the wire wool. Not easy......

Pack in the "old" stuffing, plus the new stuffing. Don't pack it too tightly.

Replace end cap.

Re-fit can to manifold.

Start car.

If it's still too noisy, add some more basalt wadding, being careful to evenly distribute it as best you can. Bear in mind that any area that has less packing than an adjacent area can become a hot spot, so getting the packing even is important.

Shouldn't take more than a couple of hours, or maybe 3 if you're taking great care over the packing, or the bolts have siezed.......

Thanks Blatman.

A class, comprehensive answer, cheers for the advice  :)  :)  :D

I'll get onto Merlin on Monday.

Right then.

Errr...anyone know a good mechanic (with below standard hearing? :cool: )