The finest brains in Britain.....

Norman Verona

... do not seem to be able to design a passport application form that's easy enough to complete without a 16 page explanatory guide.

Then to really take the proverbial there is no address on the form or the guide as to where to send the forms, photo's and old passports.

So you are directed to you.gov. Not the page with the address but the home page of the whole site.

Type in "address for passports" and you get to the home page for passports. You then read down all the heading and about number 36 says "where to send your application". This page then gives you a lengthy explanation of all the stuff you've already read in the guidance notes and at the bottom - an address.

Oh, and it will cost us £295.72 for two passports. Rip of Britain - No wonder!

• Like 1

That's the joys of living in France for you.  Odd though - just renewed mine very easily.  Typed "UK passport renewal" into Google; went straight to the correct web page; typed in my details; pre-completed form arrived in post two days later - just signed it, filled in debit card details, and stuck it with two photos in the envelope back to them.  Received new passport back in under two weeks, cost just under £75.  Easy peasey, at least for me.  The leaflet might be daunting, but it does cover a huge amount of different possible circumstances, so can't be helped.

Or nip into the Post Office and they will help check through the form and make sure everything is OK, before submitting it. Oh wait, you can't. You left.

It's just UK PLC making sure if you live abroad it's as difficult as possible to get a new one :d :D :d

I can get a package (a clutch, car mats and filter) from the UK by courier (DHL) signed for and tracked for £15.

The only difference between Scott's £75 and my £147.86 is the £72.86 courier charge.

I know I could design the form so that each section is easily understood. Even with the guidance notes some questions only apply if the passport is for children but it isn't clearly stated. 

The preparation wasn't a problem, did as you did, downloaded the forms of the website (for people living abroad) and completed them. I had to refer to the guide notes on three occasions but it didn't answer my queries. It's where questions in a section refer to when you're applying on behalf of someone else, like children. The notes on the form sort of indicate this is what these questions are for but it isn't clear.

However, why not print the address on the form, or in the guide notes or, if they want you to get it from the website why not put the link to the relevant page, not the home page of the whole UK government site.

If I employed people who wrote programmes in this manner they would be looking for another job. 

Not related but just got a letter from our UK bank about changes in T&C's. The address is wrong. (not a lot, La Foir not La Foie). So why do I bother to enter the correct address on my account for them not to pick it up from the only true source. It's all to do with sensible programming. Each piece of information should only need to be entered once. This cuts down on work and, more importantly, on errors.

Now I know I don't live in Tunbridge Wells but I am getting angry.

You do realise, of course, they don't give a monkey's where you actually live.  You don't have to change your address on your passport if you move.  So you could have filled it in with the address of a good friend in the UK and given them the £150 to pay for the two passports, and then £15 to courier the new ones to France, saving you approximately £130.

Or as you get nine months period to renew them, you could have had someone from the UK staying at the gites bring them for free, or had your daughter assist you, using her address.

I love Norman's rants and look forward to reading them. Victor Meldrew looks like an amateur :-)

I taught him, he wasn't a bad pupil but did rant on a bit.

Great idea getting it sent to my daughters address. Only problem is it's illegal. You must sign for it.

Marty, can you tell me what the difference is having a large box with 4 car mats a clutch kit and a filter delivered by a courier and signed for as proof of delivery and a package with two passports in it, signed for as proof of delivery? 

Come to think of it if they do turn up at the same time I will complain as I've paid for two courier charges when it could have been one.

Great idea getting it sent to my daughters address. Only problem is it's illegal. You must sign for it.

Not illegal at all if you authorise or empower her to sign for it on your behalf - Lady MemSec signed for mine while I was out.

Postman Pat is happy as long as someone at the correct address signs.

Marty, can you tell me what the difference is having a large box with 4 car mats a clutch kit and a filter delivered by a courier and signed for as proof of delivery and a package with two passports in it, signed for as proof of delivery?

£57.86

So you did "get" it. :)

Scott, the guide says the passport must be delivered to your residence and be signed by you. If you think about why should Pat care, it's delivered to the address on the package and someone inside has signed for it.

However, I did think of doing what you suggest. I rang the passport office who informed me it was illegal, I had to apply as a non UK resident. Now, being the upright and honest British subject that I am i couldn't possibly break the law, could I?

They would say that to cover their backs, wouldn't they? However, If you want to pay an extra £150 on principle, who am I to deny you the privilege? :d

Scott, it's not principle, it's law.

I have no problem paying a bit extra for things from the UK. But if a Honda dealer can ship a large heavy box by DHL with tracking and recorded delivery for £15 I query why the government charge £72.86 for exactly the same thing.

I recently ordered a new printer and ink cartridges from 2 different suppliers in the UK. raised the order last Sunday and both items arrived on Wednesday. So why does letters from HMRC take one month to arrive? Even when the letter contain a code that expires in 28 days.

Oh well, as long as we, the British public put up with it I suppose it will just go on. No problem, if our servants who we elected to look after our interests, need more money they will just cut benefits to those in genuine need.