bailiffs have been around

SteveD

As far as I know the bailiffs will come back for the court fees. The council can't stop them they are fees imposed by the court not the council.

There will be no fees to collect if the Court order has been set aside - which is something someone in Steve's position could apply directly to the Court for. 

All of which assumes the Court order was made out to the right person in the first place.

Wile, I doubt the court order can be set aside before the bailiffs return.

If the council can get it set aside in time, which I doubt, then they won't return. Steve must also make sure the judgement is set aside, it isn't always.

I'm sure the order was made out to the correct entity, Middlewich Auto Bodies, even though the address is wrong.

Np point in guessing, we'll know by tonight.

Wile, I doubt the court order can be set aside before the bailiffs return.

The whole thing was discussed with a judge, who wouldn't have suggested it if she didn't think it the best course of action - and getting it set aside need not involve the Council taking any action at all.

FWIW, the advice received was also that any inaccuracy regarding who the order was against would also render it ineffective (by coincidence, the examples the judge gave included missing the "Ltd" off a company name being sufficient).

I'm getting confused. If Steve didn't take this back to court to have the judgement set aside who did, the council?

Pistol

Not sure what that comment was supposed to mean but Steves reputation and business standing could be or have been compromised by a "mistake" yes I have made mistakes and where necessary have made suitable corrections. Without it im writing and cleared by the courts it may still hang. I am now 15 months into getting my insurance sorted when my unattended car was damaged. Someone from the other insurers put s note on my file, just a mistake, you may say but its my no claims discount and records which have been messed about with. This wont get sorted by rolling over or accepting that it was an error. Sometimes you have to get it done properly.

I cam only assume you misunderstood something.

Bob

If Steve didn't take this back to court to have the judgement set aside who did, the council?

Any chance of letting us know how judgement was set aside if Steve didn't go back to the court. It would appear it was bad service (guessing by Wile's comment) but who made the appeal?

With no answer I must assume the council did, after not wanting to know about it in the morning, after the papers threatened to run with the story as it was.

i was referrin to you comment about all of them being t******, apart from being a very large inaccurate generalisation now steve has spoken with them they correcting the issue.

It's a sad how poor behaviour or mistakes from a small number of people has us dismissing entire organisations and ignoring the many staff that go way above and beyond the call of duty.

"Even" in councils, contrary to the daily Mail knee jerk response I've come across so many that still treat it as a true vocation and have nothing but the highest praise for them.

I'm confused, so I'm now going to wait for this to come out on DVD, although I have no idea who will play Steve.

I do echo the comments that it's unfair to tar every person in every council with the brush of incompetence.

Dave, many individuals working for local authorities are excellent. Very diligent and  hard working, they do their jobs to the highest standards.

However this does not the organisation as whole the same. 

I believe the problem stems from the fact that Councillors usually have no business experience and the officers employed  haven't got the same objectives as a business would have. They tend to solve problems by employing more and more people and spending more and more money, which in my experience, makes the situation worse. It's all very easy, they just increase the rates to pay for it all. Well they used to, a bit harder now. The unions have a stranglehold over the LA's and will not readily allow redundancies to get back to a sensible headcount.

Let me put it to you this way. If the councils had competition for the services they provide (theory only) how long do you think our LA's would last. 

As far as I know Steve did not sort this out, I wish he'd say who did. He stated he hadn't the time and would pay the court fees. He did phone the council and got nowhere. I know from long experience with councils that they just issue summons for unpaid rates as they have the full force of the law behind them. Nothing wrong there, what's wrong is when someone rings up to sort out the problem caused by the council, they just shrug and say it's too late now, the court are dealing with it. If they would listen they could solve their error very simply.

So, when I and others use a generalisation we are referring to the organisation as a whole, not the individuals who do a good job withing the organisation.

But you tarnish the reputation and cause hurt to those same individuals.

I've spoken to Steve, if he doesn't want to waste time discussing it on the Boardroom that's his choice, I'll respect that too and not discuss it either.

Time to let this one rest do you not think? Unless Steve has any further developments.

Let me put it to you this way. If the councils had competition for the services they provide (theory only) how long do you think our LA's would last.

my department as others does :) and for the last 5 years we have still managed to maintain an 85% market share despite the private competition being cheaper. How do we do it? Through efficiency, customer service and unlike the private sector without profit.

• Like 2

Mark, I applaud you, I did accept you did a sterling job, As does my friend in the planning department at Sheffield City Council.However she accepts that whilst the planning department personnel work hard and diligently, she tells me about how some of the other departments work, their practices and gross inefficiencies.

Steve's council not only get his address wrong, which he points out but then fail to change it, he fails to get his rates bill, then they issue a summons at, what I guess, is to the wrong address.

That's efficient?

I know it's not all councils but every one I've dealt with (several in London, Sheffield and the Peak Park) have all done just as inefficient things to me.

Dave, that's fine, but why start the thread if you won't complete it. I like Steve, having met him consider him a friend but I'm mystified why he won't say how it got resolved.  OK, matter finished from me.

Deadhorsebeingflogged.jpg