new to speed series

fordy

Hi,

Im new to the SS this year - Im wondering which are the best events to enter - my car wont be on the road til beginning of May. Are there any details of the tracks/difficulty listed anywhere - Im only probably going to be entering 6 or 7 events, and im looking for the easiest ones to bring me in gently - dont want to bend the car in the first year :(

Im also based in berkshire (down south), so closet/easiest ones would be nice - dont want much do i !!!!!!

thanks

chris

First off, there are no easy tracks......Curborough is quite user friendly though........The "Southern" events this year would be Curborough (yes yes, I know......), Lydden (which is good, but has close-ish walls), Goodwood (fast......), North Weald (nothing to hit at all......), Dunkeswell and Wiscombe (both in Devon, Wiscombe is well worth the trip, but bl**** scarey. It's my favourite.....), maybe MIRA, and Loton Park (midlands, like Curborough), and Boscombe Down in Wiltshire (again, nothing much to hit). For a list of most of these have a look here. Curborough has it's own web site here.

You can't drive around with half your concentration taken up by trying to not bend the car, 'cos you'll make a mistake, and bend it........

As with track days, build up slowly, and only go at a pace at which you are comfortable. The times will come. Unless you are pretty special behind the wheel, don't expect to be competitive, except with me. I'll race anyone for last place!!

First off, there are no easy tracks......Curborough is quite user friendly though........The "Southern" events this year would be Curborough (yes yes, I know......), Lydden (which is good, but has close-ish walls), Goodwood (fast......), North Weald (nothing to hit at all......), Dunkeswell and Wiscombe (both in Devon, Wiscombe is well worth the trip, but bl**** scarey. It's my favourite.....), maybe MIRA, and Loton Park (midlands, like Curborough), and Boscombe Down in Wiltshire (again, nothing much to hit). For a list of most of these have a look here

You can't drive around with half your concentration taken up by trying to not bend the car, 'cos you'll make a mistake, and bend it........

As with track days, build up slowly, and only go at a pace at which you are comfortable. The times will come. Unless you are pretty special behind the wheel, don't expect to be competitive, except with me. I'll race anyone for last place!!

Isn't Llandow in the Speed Series this year.....???

(I know its Wales  :sheep:  but its still southern, and a reasonably user friendly track I would have thought....)

Yep, you're right, but like you say, it's in Wales..... :0  :0  :D  :D  :sheep:  :sheep:

I don't know personally how user friendly it is, as I've never been there......

Yep, you're right, but like you say, it's in Wales..... :0  :0  :D  :D  :sheep:  :sheep:

I don't know personally how user friendly it is, as I've never been there......

:D  :D

About time you did then!!

Not having driven it (yet) I can't claim actual knowledge, but the run-off areas are fairly generous, and flat.

And its only a quick trip down the M4......

:cool:  :cool:

Great stuff - thanks very much.

Blatman - I feel the only way you'll be beating me to last place is if you leave your handbrake on !!!!! - i think were in a different class anyway, ive only got a weedy 1700 xflow - not a 2 litre cossie beast :)

Looking forward to my first event (ill be at Three Sisters - but only spectating)

cheers

Chris

I know its Wales    but its still southern, and a reasonably user friendly track I would have thought....)

Well I live in the South (West Sussex to be precise about 6 miles from Steppenwolf and Son) and Llandow is 220 miles away!!!!!  :t-up:

at least Goodwood is only 30 miles  ;)

I know its Wales    but its still southern, and a reasonably user friendly track I would have thought....)

Well I live in the South (West Sussex to be precise about 6 miles from Steppenwolf and Son) and Llandow is 220 miles away!!!!!  :t-up:

at least Goodwood is only 30 miles  ;)

and Dunkeswell, Wiscombe &  Curborough are ......how far????

From Berks area, Curborough can be as little as 100 miles.

Dunkeswell and Wiscombe would both come in at less than Llandow too, 'cos you'd use the A34/A303, or M4/M5 from Reading area........

From Berks area, Curborough can be as little as 100 miles.

Dunkeswell and Wiscombe would both come in at less than Llandow too, 'cos you'd use the A34/A303, or M4/M5 from Reading area........

Errr....

Well just cos I'm stuck in Northants again, with nothing better to do......

According to AA Routeplanner....

Reading to Dunkeswell - 135.1 miles, 2 hrs 39mins

Reading to Llandow - 134 miles, 2 hrs 25mins

............ :t-up:  :t-up:

It took me 7 hours to get from Salisbury to Aintree last year - distance is all mind over matter. If you don't mind it doesn't matter.

Distance is nothing  :D  Get yourself up to Jockhill - only takes about 7 to 8 hours from the Midlands and worth every one of em  ;)  :D  :D

Blatters if you include Curborough, the also add Shelsley Walsh, Loton and MIRA - none of which are that much further and excellent circuits, although perhaps Shelsley is not a hill for the first timer  :blush:  :D  :)  ;)

Looks like you are on for a win at North Weald  :devil:  :D  ;)

Don't worry Fordy I'll race you for last place  ;)  :D  :D  Just get out and enjoy it  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Sorry if this is a bit late, I've been away.

i think were in a different class anyway, ive only got a weedy 1700 xflow - not a 2 litre cossie beast

You'll still beat him!!

Tommo's back