You just won't believe this.....................

Norman Verona

Yes it does. A lot.

Oh Norman  :down:  :down:  :down:  Any story that starts "I was using the chainsaw" isn't going to end well, thank goodness you'd at least put that down and swapped it for the trimmer.

Good luck tomorrow with the op. No wonder you get on so well with the local doc!

Norm

You plonker!!

Hope the surgery goes well

I'm surprised you have any digits left......

You remind me of Kenny Everett's character Reg Prescott 

Norm, You have my sympathy mate as hedge trimmers are lethal and dont have a chain brake to lock the cutter mechanism meaning they run on and can catch your finger (dont really need to tell you that do I).

Hope the operation goes well tomorrow and can soon be back on the chainsaw 

best wishes 

James 

Thanks chaps, appreciate the kind words, even calling me Rodney is nice. 

The mistake I made, apart from picking up the tools in the first place, was not standing on a step ladder to reach the branch. I was going to to reach the higher level.

I suppose as you get older the concentration gets harder to maintain. I think had I not looked round to see what the noise (HM walking along the gravel) was I would have been OK. Looking round allowed my hand to slide up the trimmers handle and the index finger into the blade grille. I tried to do it again later, with the motor not running, of course and it's not easy. However if I held the cutter up the hand slides up the handle and .... so not so difficult really.

To finish it in about 10 days time I'll get on the step ladder. The hardest job now is the remove all the stuff I've cut away. I'm planning to pull it away with a rope tied to the tractor.

I'm hoping it'll be usable in 2 weeks time. I need to get the tiling finished before August. 

I'll drink to that, John. I day trip to Paris is just what I need now. 

Best of luck tomorrow for the op Norm, you're in good hands (no pun intended) General anaesthetic for a finger surprised me?

Norman!!!!!! Step away from the tools......being handy is one thing, but, you need Hands to do that. Sooooooo sorry to hear all this,I do hope the op goes well, get well soon. Let some one else do the power tool thing.

I've used dangerous tools for years and never had an accident. I suspect it's a lack of concentration as you get older that the underlying reason for this one.

The feeding the thumb into the chain saw was a pure accident caused by catching a length of wood that was falling off the table saw and my hand slipping off, as I pushed it up and forward, into the spinning blade.

One thing I'm "pleased" about is that the finger hurts - a lot. The thumb didn't. I suspect the difference is the nerves were/are severed in the thumb but the finger nerves are OK. The surgeon has prescribed prescription only paracetamol, 1000 mg every 6 hours for 8 days. He knows it's going to hurt for a week!

I took some at midnight and slept until 06:00 this morning. Seeing as I'm normally awake by 04:00 I guess that's good.

:down: Sorry to hear about it Norman. I've done a few 'daft' things with tools and occasionally even had a sort of premonition about it. Naturally, being sceptical about these things, I ignored it!  :oops:

Having done it once I was trying to be careful. But I, like you, have always been cavalier with stuff. I once stood on a four poster ramp to fix the 3 phase cable which had come lose in the junction box 15 feet up the workshop wall. The shock threw me off the ramp. I just got up, shaking my hand and carried on. Or the time I went up a ladder to replace an halogen tube in a spot light mounted 17 foot up. When I got to the top the ladder started to slip away on the very shiny concrete floor. I just held on as the ladder slowly descended and landed on my feet, legs spread either side of the ladder.

Or the time I put a ladder up against a telegraph pole at a friends house to tie the fairy light to the pole for that nights party. I fell of as the ladder twisted round and I landed between the fence and our Disco parked in the lane. I did roll so wasn't hurt.

Norm,

It's not an age thing at all mate, as a trainer in use of stihl tools (chainsaw, brush cutter and hedge trimmer) you've correctly identified the reason for the mishap in taking your hand off the working handle.  Its a natural reaction sometimes to "catch" bits of wood so dont beat your self up... could have been far worse.

I've investigated more accidents caused by one handed cutting in under 25's than I have accidents on over 55's....

I hope the injury recovers quickly and you can get back on the tools ASAP. :)

With very best wishes,

James