Fuel tank breather

stu.graham

Trying to get the last bits and pieces sorted for my first event at 3 Slappers. Advice needed on the fuel tank breather, the orginal breather fitting is now used by mine fuel return line (a very nice man from Goostrey built me  one of his nice Vx!!!;):D  :D , my fuel cap is the orginal Westfield one (not aero) which self breaths, do I need to install a new breather in the tank and fit a non-vent fuel cap? or will be pass scutineering as is ???  ???

In my humble experience the Scrute does not look for tank breathers. However it has been known for them to get a bit shirty about fuel filler caps that protrude from the body, becuase they can be easy knocked off if you rear end a tyre wall. If you do fit a breather make sure its the sort that seals itself if inverted, to stop fuel gushing out.

I ran a aero type fuel cap for a couple of seasons without a seperate breather and it seemed to work ok and was never queried by the scrute.

Linds.

linds it has been the total opposite in my expeience ,all the scrutineers seem to want to find something wrong with the breather's  on my cars ,they even threatend not to let me compete at the ilse of man because of the pipes on my          c a t e r h a m  :angry: stu be warned take nothing lightley  ;) they are excedingley picky at croft  :0 they want you to run the breather pipe from one side of the tank across to the other then back again then back across to the other again then down to the ground  :arse:  i even had to take the washer jet pipes off my saab to do what they asked to pass scrutineering at croft  :0  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

I'm afraid I agree with Steve on this one  :(  ???

I have had many a scrutty check my cap to ensure that is is sealed and does NOT breate. + they do want to see a one way valve with the U tube that steve describes.

You might get away with it at 80% of events but then on the other hand it woudl a real A*** of a thing to fix quickly at an event.

With a 1 piece carbon boot box cover that's a b*****d to remove in reasonable time how is the scrute s'posed to get visual access?? (factory efi tank i/c anodised breather)

Stuart

Ringme and I will tell u what my simple set up is

Terry

scott take nothing for granted if the scrutineer wants to have a look he can and probably will make you remove the cover ,at the end of the day if you have a bump and you set on fire and it is found that your breather was to blame  then the scrutneer who passed the car  will be bollocked severley ,get my drift

Just shows the inconsistency of scruters  :(  I've never been questioned on breather, one is fitted, but its all under wraps of a screwed down ali cover  :D .

I've seen plenty of scruters question the older type sticky out mini styleee filler caps  ;)  :blush:  saying in the event of an off it could get damaged and snap off - they seem much happier with aero-caps  ;)  :)

If anyone has specific Q's on Scruting - drop me an e-mail or PM - we have our own in house MSA scruter  ;)  :D  :)  Could be a good mag article and help folks out  ;)  :D  :)

Oh yes  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  make sure you take 50 throttle return springs to Ty Croes, even if you don't run carbs - its all the git up there wants to know about "how many throttle return springs ?? 4 that ain't enough  :angry:  :angry:  :(  try 6 or 8  :arse:  :arse:  :arse:

Dont overlook the most important item, safety, if a roll over happens you will be praying that not one drop of fuel escapes.

A mate of mine rolled his A H Sprite and he was covered in fuel whilst the car was upside down and on top of him. There was no fire he was not hurt but he was **** scared and couldn't sleep for months.

Thanks for all the comments, I have to agree that safety is the most important issue, not only for the driver put those guys trying to get to the driver!!!!!

So areo cap, breather, valve and plenty of piping it is then :)  :)

you know it makes sense mr g  ;)

Get a one way valve from DT - about £8 something. Dead easy to fit. Steve D is right. They will check and they do check. I've been had for it before and had to do some emergency re-plumbing to compete on the day...be warned. They are also hot on daylight showing through bulkheads, harnesses having their clips secured at the eye bolts by a split pin and enough throttle return springs being in place.

JL