How civilised with windscreen/doors?

D7PNY

Got out for a run in the Westfield on Saturday with a few local guys (mainly with Caterhams)

Got caught in the rain but managed to stay reasonably dry by keeping on the move.  My right arm got a good and proper soaking from the surface water though!

The westfield is currently for sale but every time I take it out for a run I don't want to sell it - you know how it goes!

All the caterham guys had windscreens/doors fitted and a few had wives with them that seemed 'happy' enough.

My question is, how much more civilised is a westfield with screen/doors on?  Wearing helmet etc is a PITA to be honest and would love for the wife to come out with me for the odd run and be able to take mates out without having to sort helmets etc and then not be able to communicate on the road!

Also, one person that viewed the car was put off by the lack of windscreen.

I understand from looking on here that to make windscreen/aeroscreen interchangeable it is a scuttle swap job unlike the caterhams that can leave their wipers on and just swap the screen over.

Without a lowered floor will I be looking through the top of/over the top of the winscreen?

Other question I guess is..do you think my car (very track orientated) would look silly with windscreen/doors?

GolspieJune2013_zps961e1662.jpg

Cheers,

Dave

I've done exactly this; after about seven years of aeroscreen use - which I still enjoy. I got fed up of all the messing about with helmets etc, (I wear glasses, so it's that bit more awkward). It was fine when just me, but going for blats in a group, (I was generally the only aero car, it got to be a pain)

I'm loving the extra freedom from the windscreen and doors. It's not perfect, but I've no regrets at all.

I would add a couple of considerations though. Rain with an aero car is easily dealt with, waterproofs and a lid and your're sorted. In a windcreened car the rain will come over the screen and cover the inside! So, really you need a roof of some description, even if only to keep the screen clear on the side without wipers! The good news is, a half hood would do fine for that, so you don't need to go to the hassle of a full roof if you don't want.

That then led me to fitting a heater so I had some screen demisting over winter, and to make the car more usable all year round with the full hood up.

I originally planned on making the screen removable so that I could swap it with an aero;  Aerodynamix do an aero screen with extended sides, Caterham style, to cover the screen mount holes. In the end I didn't bother. Unlike an aluminium Caterham scuttle, GRP just moves and distorts over time too much, so tends to take the shape of whatever you've bolted to it.

If I wanted to go aero again now, I'd look into making the scuttles easily interchangeable.

I've thought about going aero screen...

But always hit a sensible moment and stop the thought.

I now have full tonneau, zip down centre, screen and doors. Tonneau in place and doors on really cuts out a lot of wind. My wife only gets in if I have door on. But there's always the option to take doors off and just have the screen. You can talk to passenger at 65mph on a motorway with doors/screen. I think it makes the car far more useable.

As said, I want an aero screen, but then makes it as much of a pain as a motorbike!

I bought my car in 1992. It is a 1989 model. 

It had screen, doors, Wilton carpets, leather covered dash  and leather seats. All in RED!

The hood was used once, on the way back from Paul Matty in Bromsgrove to home. The hood and screens have never been used since.

After a few years, well 10 to be exact, I decide I wanted a bit more fun so off came the screen and Richard made a carbon aero. It's been on ever since.

I do not wear a helmet. I do wear a pair of Birdz goggles over my glasses.

I do not get wind in my face, the aero deflects it over my head, if it rains I do not get that wet (unless on a motorway where the spray covers everything including me)

HM won't come in the car, but not because it's got an aero, she has been in the car before with the screen and without. However, since being ill she refuses to get in it. She wouldn't get in it with a screen either.

However, I can understand why people get "tired" of the rawness of aeros and revert to screens or don't fit aeros in the first place.

Another point of view, having got VERY wet at a track day at Blyton with aeroscreen, wind deflectors but no sidescreens is the potential use of half doors.  I've bought a pair from Aerodynamix (and a half hood from SB47s) but astonishingly have not yet had the opportunity to test them in the ran!!

Rory's Dad

It's very rare that I use the car in the rain as when out on the road it's usually only when the weather is great so not sure I'd be too worried about a roof (I've got Playskool roll bar anyway so not sure any would fit)

I've gone out once without the helmet on and the noise etc was SO much better than whilst wearing helmet but I wouldn't go out in it for anything longer without the helmet on.

Thought's with the windscreen would be that I could potentially get more use of the car as it would seem less compromised.

What sort of cost would I be looking at to pop windscreen and wipers on second hand?  Had a look but can't find any adverts.  Car still for sale but if not too expensive I would buy screen etc so at least the car might appeal to a wider audience worst case.

How much of an air brake is the screen?

Norm...Unfortunately I'm too tall for the aeroscreen to work properly. If I duck down I can feel it working but when I sit normally the wind just hits me in the face.

I really enjoy the car when I'm out for blasts as it stands but I think perhaps with a screen I may enjoy it more of the time?

Dave

The use thing is a pretty personal one to answer, everyone will be different! For me, with the aero on, I've been out many a time and got in everything from a light drizzle, to torrential, road flooding, bucketing down rain. BUT, it's always happened when I've been out. I would never actually head out in the car unless it was dry and the roads were dry looking. (Admittedly, it was a moderately powerful car on R888's).

Since the windscreen, roof and R1R's I've actually set out in the rain and ended up driving out from under it. So I've personally gained blatting time.

I bought my windscreen gear second hand off here. I'll have a look back, see what I paid.

The use thing is a pretty personal one to answer, everyone will be different! For me, with the aero on, I've been out many a time and got in everything from a light drizzle, to torrential, road flooding, bucketing down rain. BUT, it's always happened when I've been out. I would never actually head out in the car unless it was dry and the roads were dry looking. (Admittedly, it was a moderately powerful car on R888's).

Since the windscreen, roof and R1R's I've actually set out in the rain and ended up driving out from under it. So I've personally gained blatting time.

I bought my windscreen gear second hand off here. I'll have a look back, see what I paid.

Granted - You are probably right...I've never actually set off in the rain.  More of a case of getting caught out in it.

My car is on R888's and I've got to say I was pleasantly surprised on Saturday.  Used them at a sprint in the wet once and felt like I had plenty grip but on Saturday there was actually quite a lot of standing water on the road and wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be.  Only other tyre I've used in the wet was my ACB10's so probably not drawing the same comparisons as others would in fairness!

Cheers,

Dave

Hmm, found the original ad, had forgotten about that particular can of worms! (The seller deleted his advert between me collecting them and arriving home, - I assume so I couldn't compare reality and description!)

From recollection, I think I paid around £300 for screen, plus uprights with mirrors, windscreen wiper motor, rack and wheel boxes, (but no wipers) and a pair of sidescreens.

To that I needed to buy a screen fillet, a pair of wiper arms and blades a washer bottle and pump, plus switches.

The screen glass needed replacement and I had the uprights re powder coated.

I'm 6'1", (my height is in my back IYSWIM) but with having JK seats, I sit quite low, so don't have that looking over the frame issue. Dropped floors would be better still I suppose!

It's a hassle though to swap if you're definitely selling. I'd almost be tempted, if it's just a case of making it more appealing, to buy a windscreen/mirrors/wipers if you see some at a good price. Don't fit them, but advertise them as being supplied "with the Car" so that "the buyer can choose".

Thanks gadgetman,

That's what I was thinking...buy some if it wasn't too expensive so I could sell with car and if buyer wasn't bothered about them, could sell on and not be put of pocket.

Not had a huge amount of interest in car to be fair. advertised fairly I think and in line with what folk on here thought when I posted a 'value' topic a while back.

Had a few folk after more info etc from pistonheads that then do that really annoying thing of not replying (even to say thanks but no thanks)Some folk are great to deal with though and keep you up to speed.

Certainly not getting sucked in to a price reduction war.Up for 'ono' anyway so clearly shows I'm flexible. Not desperate to sell as I've covered the money I needed to raise through savings etc but would be nice to replenish some of it and maybe buy something again in the future.

Cheers,

Dave

In that case, I'd definitely only fit if you'd had a change of heart and decided to keep for a year or two longer.

Fitting isn't massively complicated at all, but it will require wiring and "plumbing" in, so you may need to remove the scuttle to do it. If not going to the additional cost of a fresh scuttle, it will most likely take quite a bit of work to get everything looking neat, tidy and most importantly, saleable!

I think removing my screen would really restrict my use. Last year I was doing 500-600 miles a week in my westfield. I often used it without the roof and doors in foot well. If on a motorway or "A road" and it rained, just kept going... No issues at all. The screen really flicks water up and over your head! If you get wipers, use a lot of grease on every part and anywhere where friction may be an issue. I was blowing fuses and had very slow wipers when I first got the car. Took it apart and greased everything. Works great now.

I have to admit the hood is a bit of a waste, very rare I use it now. I did last year, but I new have a city tin top, so car used in dry mainly.

95857e46.jpg

Passenger took photo, but aero screen in this wouldn't be fun.

Dave, I suspect it's the design of the aero that causes the wind in the face.

I'm only 5' 10.5" (the half IS important) but I have to hold my hand well above my head to get the wind on my palm. No lowered floor, but Tillets which are bolted almost flat on the floor. I'm sure you'd be OK in mine.

I've never been hit by anything other than rain (smarts) and hailstones (hurts). We went to Le Mans in it every year for 8 years with the aero and got caught in heavy rain every year at some time, normally on the way back from Pompey to Sheffield, but also a couple of times in France.

Worst journey was from the LM campsite to here when Richard lived here and we came to see the place with a view to purchase. Very heavy rain on the motorway from LM to Laval and then to here. We were 100% soaked when we arrived. Shoes, socks, underwear, everything was absolutely sodden. Henrietta found us dry clothes. It had stopped by the time we left and even though I suggested we wait an hour to avoid catching it up we left after lunch and drove straight back into it. Got back the the campsite soaked to the skin again.

After Roger King had done the first service on the rebuilt engine and spent 2 hours on the rollers setting up the carbs we got caught in a hailstorm near Newmarket. Even though we pulled over having lumps of ice on a semi bald head really hurts. I had covered HM with my jacket.

Had numerous insect strikes - they sting when they catch you in the face. Had a few small bits of grit sized stone, they really sting.

The gravel rash on my crash helmet tells it's own tale, been caught by some bigger stones with that on, thank goodness. And on more than one occasion, driving round with the visor cracked slightly open for ventilation, I've not quite got it closed in time when the muck spreader has gone past. :oops::o  (After the first time, you learn not to swear, as that just means your mouth's open for the inevitable second strike!)

Should add, the well adjusted aero screen did do a remarkable job of deflecting both the airflow and rain etc, provided you were going quickly enough.

At the moment I have a windscreen and wind deflectors. Plus recently purchased a half hood from the factory. I have been in the rain with half hood and wind deflectors and it was not a bad place to be in at all. A little damp on the right arm and that was it. I would not like to be on the Motorway or a dual carriageway like this though for very long in heavy rain as the spray in the air may be more of an issue. In general the the half hood makes the car more usable as there is less buffeting

I borrowed a set of doors when I went to Stoneleigh and travelled down the motorway with the doors and roof on and it was a different experience altogether, it is much more civilized on a longer journey especially when the journey is to get somewhere as quickly and as easily as possible, which is not generally the norm with the Westfield where the journey is at least part of the main event. 

I think I will need to get some doors in the near future so I have them available when I want to use the Westfield to get somewhere especially it I want to go out with my wife, even if I only use the passenger door.