race suit cleaning

scott beeland

Do I have do do anything specific in washing my race suit. After a few journeys up the M62 keeping me warm it's a bit grim.

Does normal wash b******* the flame resistance??

From my Sparco booklet thingy: The garment must be washed following the instructions swen inside the suit.

Dry clean is recommended when garment has dark coloured parts (Red, Black, Navy Blue) as cuffs, profiles, stripes, badges etc.

To avoid abrasion of the inner knit, do not wash the garment inside out.  Before the cleaning, please check, neck and bealt (spelling mistake in booklet) velcro are securely fastened, to avoid abrasion on the garment outside.

Handle the garment whit (another mistake) care.

Suit materials are dubject to ageing.  It is suggested to replace the garment, as soon as, this present the wear and tear of the time. (does that make sense?)

Please be also advised that the materials used for the suit are photosensitive, avoid the direct contact whit (again) all the light source and especially sunlight (what are you supposed to race in then, your nomex undies on the outside?). This exposure could change colours and getting started the ageing of materials.

SPARCO is not responsible for injuries or damages for the improper use of this garment from the wearer, or from the incorrect care of the suit

Hows that?  :D

Scott,

Don't use hypochlorite bleach if it is stained  :0

If you do then you will knacker the aramid polymer as you cleave the all important Carbon to Nitrogen bond.

You could use peroxide, but I wouldn't recommend it.

I would suggest using a standard off the shelf detergent like Ariel or Daz and follow instructions, 40C being adequate as a wash temperature.

John

I picked mine up yesterday from the dry cleaners, it has come out a treat  :D

I was going to wash mine but then I remember I saw a suit that had been machine washed and all the colours had faded and ran.

For the sake of £6 I went for the dry clean option.

???