Music download to CD

Norman Verona

Yep, broke an LP12 plus various spares, sold the Ikemi on too when replaced with a Akurate DS.

Daft thing was, sold two or three Troikas that had been rattling round in drawers, one didn't even have a cantilever; all went to Japan, sold as needing re-tipping etc. Got around £200 or so for each of them. Think my Arkiv cartridge went for about £800, but then it still had some life in it.

It just wasn't being used though and seemed criminal to have that much money tied up in something that was just sitting gathering dust.

Mind you, I shudder to think what it would cost to replace nowadays, upwards of £10K I suspect. (My Ekos retailed at £1200 when I got it, they're over £3000 now!)

See I have Bose sound systems and sennhieser Bluetooth, noise cancelling headsets, with talk through and call feature.

Now I find highest quality digital music sounds very clinical. My mum has a 1980's Technics system, record player, cassette... You all know the modular stacking style. Adds to it as things come out, CD, Mini Disc (what a flop), Bluetooth and so on. Updated speakers, amp and surround. There's a mic you place where you sit and it tunes all the speakers to be perfect at that point. All sounds nice... But vinyl does sound warm, raw and better.

She has "now that's what I call music" and "now that's what I call music again" followed buy every one up to about spice girl era... When music died. But all on vinyl, all used, people give her their old vinyl out of the attic, any "doubles" get stored in her attic. Never sells it.

Don't know the words, yet. Will do when I've been playing for a few weeks.

My speakers cost £999 and that was 21 years ago! The Turntable is a Rega and the stylus cost £60. Funny how you remember these things. The total package was just short of £2000.

However, all pales to insignificance when I remember Tottenham Court Road in the 70s. Lion House had a huge basement studio. They had a pair of speakers set up driven by a reel-to-reel  tape with master recordings. The sound was the best I've ever heard. They were nearly as tall as me and needed 4 people to move them. So was the price, in the 70s these speakers retailed at £3,000. I was on £40 per week! That's over £21,000 now.

But vinyl does sound warm, raw and better.

I'd rather listen to what the artist intended and the engineers worked so hard to create. :d:p

I have no problem at all with the use of a particular mic to give a certain quality to a vocal, or a choice of a certain tube in a bass guitar amp to give the right timbre. Or in more modern stuff, the right patch on the drum kit, or a particular pedal box on the guitar.

Where I object is the system I'm listening on artificially adding it's own qualities. I don't want to listen to a hi fi, I want to listen to the music :d

Bought my first proper record deck - a Dual, at seventeen, changed to a Linn turntable within a couple of years and owned various versions of LP12 for the next twenty years.

Should also add, i've been a Linn dealer as part of my business since '97 and employed by one prior to that since University.

Still love music though, which is why in my spare time I do the sound engineering for a local amateur tribute band.

I'll have to get in touch when I start getting around to ripping my large CD and Vinyl collection to FLAC, for top tips and guidance!

No worries.  But it's pretty simple.  For CDs use dbpoweramp to rip, tag and add artwork, which is a free trial for 21 days, after which you get to keep the ripping but lose the tagging facility - after that use MP3tag to tag and add art, which is a brilliant bit of freeware that works on FLAC, WMA and more as well as MP3.  You would be amazed at the album art that lies in databases in the ether - as obscure as you like.  dbpoweramp also uses Accuraterip, whereby it checks your ripped copy with others and lets you know if it's accurate or not. 

For vinyl of course it's real time.  I used JetAudio to record to FLAC (another great bit if freeware) then MP3tag to tag the FLAC files etc.  Often it's easier just to record the whole album side and then split it into tracks using Audacity (even more great freeware) then tag it and add album art.

Well worth it - I now have everything on a 2x1tb Netgear Readynas (so can't lose anything unless both drives fail at once) and 3 Logitech Squeezeboxes in the house, one connected to my main hifi (with £700 Missions).  I went out and bought 2 more Squeezeboxes when Logitech discontinued it - absolutely brilliant bit of kit.  All my music collection accessible anywhere in the house by scrolling up and down a small screen and pressing play. 

Can also access from any PC on the network too.  There is even a function called Readynas Remote, whereby I can access everything on the NAS on my PC or smartphone from a wifi connection anywhere (but it needs a pretty fast connection for FLAC files).  Of course my iPhone won't play FLAC files either, but I understand that Android Ice Cream Sandwich does.

Hope that's all clear ;)

Oh, and I agree about the warmth of vinyl - still have my album collection and my Dual turntable too.  But the albums very rarely come out these days.

Norm,

have you managed to create an audio CD yet from your iTunes down load. Saw the thread last night but id not have access to itunes at the time so could not check. 

I know that early iTunes downloads could not be burned to CD in audio format because of DRM without going though some extreme and convoluted measures but I understand that later ones don't have the same level of DRM.

I think the process is something along these lines

in iTunes

select the tracks you want on a CD into a playlist 

Right click the play list title

Select Burn play list to Disc

make sure that Audio CD is selected for Disk Format

Audio CD should give you the music in the same format as it would be for a purchased music CD.

Thanks Stuart

Agree Dave - The process of getting the Audio from Media to Ear must not change the sound. I must have been into your dealership!?

I went . . .

Connoisseur - Dual - Linn - Clearaudio

Phillips (yuk) - Meridian (CD)

Fidelity - Rotel - Meridian - Chord

Heathkit (built by my Dad, 1 of 100*100cm*50cm deep!) - B&W - Ruark - B&W

Costs have certainly escalated at a greater rate than inflation for high end equipment.

When I bought my Linn there was no contest! However I feel that now there is (no offence Dave).

But there is conversely some good Hi-Fi at the more budget end of the market as well.

There's something for everyone if only they knew they were missing out!

I dream of a pair of B&W Nautilus 801 and have heard them with my Amp! :love:

But if I did have the ability to purchase some now the money would go on the Onliest Westie without doubt! 

At least this thread has reminded me that I have a pair of Ruark Sceptres in Rosewood I could sell.

Hmmm... quick search on't'web found a pair sold on fleebay for £231 in Feb this year - now that'd be useful!

Aren't we all the same? 

Cars

HiFi

Cameras

Watches.

Whilst our ladies have

Jewelry

Handbags

Shoes

Frocks

• Like 1

Rhett, I'll have to get some CD's I've used all those I had (not many). Have lots of CD-Rs.

Anyway, for £9.89 I've ordered the CD, should be here on Wednesday, maybe before.

Rhett, I'll have to get some CD's I've used all those I had (not many). Have lots of CD-Rs.

Anyway, for £9.89 I've ordered the CD, should be here on Wednesday, maybe before.

Sorry, did stray slightly off topic...

Listening to Audio Recordings has been one of my passions since my early teens.

• Like 1

Sorry, did stray slightly off topic...

Listening to Audio Recordings has been one of my passions since my early teens.

Same for me.

Came a bit later for me Mid twenties.

I had a pair of Richard Allen Pavane speakers. Before VAT, they had no purchase tax as they were considered professional studio speakers

If you bought via iTunes then use that to burn the CD. Create a new playlist and copy the tracks in to it. Right click the playlist title and you get a menu. That will give you an option to burn the playlist to a CD, simples. Well that is how I do it on my Mac so it should be the same on iTunes for windows.

Ditto that that's what I do and haven't had an issue with either car or home CD player(15 years old)

Buzz