Garage Sheds

Young Pretender

A decent timber kit, (45mm walls) one that is pressure treated with a shingled and guttered roof should last 10 -15 years when looked after and will only cost me approx £5k now.  Therefore I may just accept that I will need to replace it after 10 years and hopefully be in a better position financially to build a proper bricks and mortar effort.  Bit of a waste of money sure but I'm seeing it as a lifestyle choice!  I also realise security of these timber garages has been questioned but the way I see it, everything that will be in there is insured and can be replaced.

I would be astonished if you needed to replace it after 10 years.  We have a picnic table of that sort of age, outside in all weathers, and you'd struggle to guess it was anywhere near a decade old.

In terms of security, this is soluble - I'll ping you a PM rather than post publicly.

I have a dunster timber garage in the rear. nice and thick good quality. nice and warm. no planning permission needed.

built it 5 years ago and still looks good. . using the wooden floor option and it takes the weight of a westfield no problem .

even lift the engine out on the rafters no problem.

That's good news Pete, glad you're pleased with it.

I'm thinking about concrete floors because I might like to stick a Landy in there if one of the trees starting growing £ notes!! :)

One question. Does it keep the damp out ok? A friend keeps tools in a shed albeit a poor quality shed and he's complaining they are rusting after 6 months.

Alan, thanks for posting.  We had a long chat about your shed story at Stoneleigh and remember the issues you had with planning.

This brings me to another question (possibly one for Mark?) regarding the regulation whereby an outbuilding must be under 2.5 meters to avoid planning permissions.  The driveway is a foot above the garden area and think I would favour taking some garden to the side of the driveway and concrete slab an area large enough to accommodate the whole garage so that it is level with the existing drive.  In this scenario would the height measurement be taken from the lawn which slopes away from the drive (and would lead to different measurements at different points) or would the height measurement be taken from the concrete slab which would be the same height as the existing driveway?

On a sloping site the measurement is normally taken from the higher ground level.  I have come across the scenario occasionally where the ground has been deliberately built up so as to artificially reduce the height of a building but this practice isn't normally viewed favourably by planning.

If you build your slab with a dpc in it then you could either put a shed on that or have footings around it for a brick job. Just ensure the DPC's are aligned correctly. That's why I suggested doing a proper base you can do the fancy stuff later. Don't forget transits for water, power alarm systems etc, just a plastic pipe in the right place.

Blockwork below ground can be the big trench blocks or single concretes as required.

Bob :)

no damp problems at all.  why would there be.  :t-up:

took me two days to build .very easy. but was shocked when the lorry turned up and he said it was all mine.

there  is a lot of wood.   and you get spares too.

painted mine with green wood preserver   about £40 for good stuff

• 2 weeks later...

Well looks like it's going to be a bit of a wait for the garage when we move (fingers crossed).

.. after all that I'm going to have to start with a car cover, maybe even for a few years! Off to look at car cover threads, I know there have been many  :laugh:

Thanks for all the tips though, I will revisit this thread in due course.