Garage Sheds

Young Pretender

I am in the process of looking for a new dwelling with my family and a garage is an obvious must.  So haven't been looking at anything without.  The opportunity may have come up for something that we like but does not have a garage so I'm trying to think out of the box a little.

Why do I need a garage?  Well it is literally just for storing and working on my car and potentially a trailer in the next few years.  I'm not building a kit or anything but would still like all the space I can get.

So the property in question, despite being a smallish house, is on a generous plot and ignoring the garden area for the moment there is a driveway to the side of the house easily big enough to store 4 cars (2 rows of 2).  I think that this area will be big enough for me to erect a shed type garage, something like this and still leave parking for 2 cars in front.

e54208fa7f1697f8225f23b47684a2a6_.jpg

Link here to garage particulars: http://dunsterhouse.co.uk/garages-carports/deore-400-single-garage-front-apex-bd

I'm sure many people here have erected something similar either to create space for a build project, store a car or both so your combined wisdom would really help me become better informed.  My train of thought is currently focused in two areas:

1.  Planning Permission.  Going by sales website that I have linked it seems like I should be able to erect such a structure without any planning permission mainly because it will not exceed 2.5 meters and will not be within 2 meters of the boundaries of the property.  There are some other technicalities too but does this sound about right?

2.  Costs.  I really couldn't stretch to anything more than £5k and to be honest I will have to beg, borrow and grovel to get that so ideally £3k spend.  The one linked retails at approx £2.5k but it seems really sensible to go for some some optional extras bearing in mind it will need to last.  So I think a shingled roof (£400) and guttering (£250) are worthwhile.  Also, and this is what I'm not sure about:  Will I need something special for the foundations?  Treatment / paint for the finish?  Power and light?  I'm ignoring the double glazing option because I see garages as damp areas anyway so don't see the point.

So it seems like costs could easily reach £4k if I go with this option but does that sound reasonable and have I missed any other major costs or considerations?

Can anyone recommend alternative suppliers of a garage solution that might be cheaper?  (again keeping durability in mind).

Thanks

Mark

Mark, can I suggest you use the full editor and remove all the html codings.

I'm not sure of the current prices but why not look at a used container. Even the small ones will hold a Westfield. The large one will have enough space for the car and all the working space you could want.

I'll have a google, back soon.

Ok, that didn't take long.

THIS will do, a coat of paint and you won't be over £1200.  They are very secure. A couple of good padlocks will deter all but the professionals.

I was wondering what you meant by container Norm.  Christ, there's no way Mrs YP will allow that on the driveway  :laugh: (but thanks for suggestion)

I should have said that as well as standing the test of time it needs to be in keeping with the surroundings.  Something that when Mrs YP invites her friends over she isn't embarrassed by the massive metal container next to the house  :t-up:

The house, by the way, is a semi detached cottage.  Bottom half - normal brick, top half - wooden cladding.  My thinking was that a wooden garage could be painted the same colour as the cladding and it would lool like it was supposed to be there.

If you can drive down the side into the garden, put the container at the bottom of the garden. Painted green it will hardly stand out. You can get a 20 ft one (half that size).

The neighbours will think the Gypsies have moved in. 

Ok, that didn't take long.

THIS will do, a coat of paint and you won't be over £1200.  They are very secure. A couple of good padlocks will deter all but the professionals.

Lol that's f'ing awful.

Anyway, you don't need any special foundations for a shed garage, just normal reinforced 6" or so concrete base thicker round the edge.

Or THESE

Containers can be painted so as to look nicer than that one. I've seen one with cartoon flowers painted on it. Blue and pink.

1. Yes, sounds about right in principle providing it's not forward of the building line, in a conservation area/AONB etc or listed building.

See the planning portal for more details http://www.planningportal.gov.uk and they have a mini guide for outbuildings http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/miniguides/outbuildings/Outbuildings.pdf

2. Profesionl experience of this tye of building is that they're designed at a cost and the sizes of timbers used for the walls and roof is generally not much better than your average garden shed which with such a large door opening can make them susceptible to racking (structurally flexing).

For a similar budget a local builder should be able to construct something similar looking but more substantial, although obviously not bought as a kit.

With regard to foundations most of these buildings are intended to sit of a concrete slab, typically of 4-6" thick and a course of bricks to lift the frame off the ground to protect it from damp.

BTW Norman's suggestion will require planning permission.

Cheers Mark, that's very helpful.  I need to check that it wouldn't be forward of the building line and can do so when we see it in the morning.

When you say 'professional experience' of this type of building, are you saying that you work in a related industry and that racking is a given?  The walls on the linked option would be 45mm thick (I think).  Interested to hear peoples opinions on whether they have used something like this and if it will stand the test of time (Say 10+ years if well maintained?)

I had anticipated a properly built structure would cost more but I'm making an enquiry through a builder friend.

Thanks all for the info, I need to look at some of the tin shed options suggested as these look quite cost effective too.  Norm, still not convinced on this container idea  :laugh:

When you say 'professional experience' of this type of building, are you saying that you work in a related industry and that racking is a given?  The walls on the linked option would be 45mm thick (I think).  

These days I'm a Local Authority Building Inspector by trade :oops: but before that an engineer (albeit mechanical rather than structural) :)

I see a fair few of this type of building and they all move to some degree or another, 45mm is fine for a shed but on a larger building I'd consider 100mm studs as a minimum, the majority of what I see for building regs these days would be 150mm studs.

YP Mark, no give it up. They are good for secure garaging and workshops but don't really look good in a tree lined close with nice houses. If the wife says NO then it's no. 

SM Mark, I thought a temporary structure (one that isn't fixed) didn't need planning consent, but not arguing, you're the expert and that's good enough for me.

I would move and then build the biggest that you can with Blocks and render.  It is hard work but you will need a base for the wooden shed, not much more to put footings in. Secondhand UPVC windows and doors are cheap. you can usually pick these up from those who fit windows as the have mismeasures and older unit taken out.

Blocks are not expensive and again you can get second hand.

Roofing is the most expensive bit but a good flat roof or preferably a pitched one as you get extra storage is better. I would say with a cheap polish brickie, labour your self you could be £5k max with something that is going to last and adds value.

A quick read of 50 shades of shed may help  ;)  ;)  ;)