• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FILFAN

• Steve_Farrimond

• ianstewartshouse

• Mark (smokey mow)

There are trailer width limits also for cars and even 4x4s independent of weight.

You then need to move to a commercial tow vehicle.

Brian James used to do two widths of RS5 shuttles but the wider one needed, for example a lorru to tow it.

I think that rule has changed now too :)

http://www.ntta.co.uk/news/news_details.aspx?NewsID=11

I started a thread about 18 months ago about towing and one thing that became apparent is that when you call the dvla they don't always know what there on about. I got various answers to the same question myself. Just look how they mess up registering kit cars. It all depends who you get

Good point, top half of the page was missing last time.

Why did DVLA say it was ok then? Ill have to speak to them again.

Glad this has come up, I believed I was ok to tow. Thanks

Here's what the gov website says

Licences issued from 19 January 2013

From 19 January 2013, drivers passing a category B (car and small vehicle) test can tow:

small trailers weighing no more than 750kg

trailers weighing more than 750kg, where the combined weight of the towing vehicle and the trailer isn’t more than 3,500kg

If you want to tow a trailer weighing more than 750kg, when the combined weight of the towing vehicle and trailer is more than 3,500kg, you’ll have to pass a further test and get B+E entitlement on your licence.

You’ll then be able to tow trailers up to 3,500kg.

Licences held from 1 January 1997

If you passed your driving test after 1 January 1997 and have an ordinary category B (car) licence, you can drive either:

a vehicle up to 3.5 tonnes or 3,500 kilograms (kg) Maximum Authorised Mass (MAM) towing a trailer of up to 750kg MAM (with a combined weight of up to 4,250kg in total)

a trailer over 750kg MAM as long as it is no more than the unladen or ‘kerb’ weight of the towing vehicle (with a combined weight of up to 3,500kg in total)

It's definitely the MAM (i.e. the plated weight of the trailer) rather than the actual train weight that is important these days.

Worth being aware that a number of trailer manufacturers will reduce the MAM on their trailers on request in order to make them easier to tow with a bigger range of vehicles.  Got to be careful though, as if you revert back to a vehicle or driver with more theoretical weight capacity you need to get it replated again if you want the original load capacity back.

The whole thing is confusing - pretty convinced they did it so that a lot of cases of unlicensed drivers trying to two big trailers/loads can be sorted out at the roadside, without needing a weighbridge, just by reference to the plates.

Confusing indeed

If you wanna confuse it more my landrover is a 12 seat with seat belts so is really classed as a minibus. I can drive it aslong as its not for hire or reward but can't tow. Remove the belts and I can

Not sure if its changed since doing my trailer test though

I'm sure if we looked at every bit of small print in regulations these days we are breaking some law at one time or the other. I work on the basis that if it looks right (i.e not nose heavy or listing to one side or another, and everything strapped down neatly) you will be unlucky to have any trouble from the old bill. Just driving carefully will keep you out of trouble.

I'm sure if we looked at every bit of small print in regulations these days we are breaking some law at one time or the other. I work on the basis that if it looks right (i.e not nose heavy or listing to one side or another, and everything strapped down neatly) you will be unlucky to have any trouble from the old bill. Just driving carefully will keep you out of trouble.

I'm sure you're right and that sounds very sensible to me.  I think the problem is if one is ever unfortunate enough to get into an accident through no fault of one's own and be unwittingly in the wrong about the towing, giving the insurance company an "out" on paying.  The whole thing is as clear as mud.

The thing me that made me do my test was that I lost a ramp while towing. While no harm was done and not really knowing if I was legal or not depending on how you read things I wanted to cover myself better in the future

Read an interesting reply in cc magazine that if you havent passed your towing test you can tow with L plates as long as you have someone along side you you either has passed or doesnt need to.

Can you imagine the attention you'd get towing a caravan/trailer on the motorway with L plates on!!!!!!