Current UK towing?

ianstewartshouse

Can some of you learned individuals tell me what the latest legal stance is on what type of car can tow what weight / size of trailer?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FILFAN

• Steve_Farrimond

• ianstewartshouse

• Mark (smokey mow)

Your cars handbook and vin plars should give you the cars maximum towing limit.

and when you passed your test is also relevant. I've recently taken my B+E test to ensure I don't fall foul of the laws

If you passed test after 1997 Basically you can tow a trailor with a max mass of 750kg this is plated weight not actual though the actual must not exceed the plate

You can tow greater than 750kg aslong as the tow vehicle is heavier than the trailer and the combined max mass is not greater than 3500kg again this is the plated weights.

https://www.gov.uk/towing-with-car/driving-licence-rules-and-what-you-can-tow

Just do the test its easier than the consequences.

If you did test before 1997 you can tow to the plated limit of the car without additional test

Reason I'm asking is I got told by someone recently that you need a 4x4 to tow a double axle trailer. It doesn't ring true as I'm sure transits and other vans are still towing double axle trailers?

Thanks, I did my test in 86 so I can tow up to the weight identified on the tow vehicle then?

Think that's BS

If a trailer is over 750kg it has to be braked though there may be something for agrictural trailers along those lines.

So long as the car is rated to tow the gross weight of the trailer that's fine

Thanks thought it sounded like someone letting on they knew something when they didn't!

As of January this year.

If you passed your test after 1997 you can now tow 750kg max on the back of a 3500kg vehicle.

Or tow anything that the towing vehicle is rated for providing 3500kg is not breeched.

For example a 2000kg landrover and a 1300kg caravan. Train weight 3300kg. Would be ok, just have to remember luggage and occupants count in the train weight.

As of January this year.

If you passed your test after 1997 you can now tow 750kg max on the back of a 3500kg vehicle.

Or tow anything that the towing vehicle is rated for providing 3500kg is not breeched.

For example a 2000kg landrover and a 1300kg caravan. Train weight 3300kg. Would be ok, just have to remember luggage and occupants count in the train weight.

There are trailer width limits also for cars and even 4x4s independent of weight.

You then need to move to a commercial tow vehicle.

Brian James used to do two widths of RS5 shuttles but the wider one needed, for example a lorru to tow it.

As of January this year.

That's for licences issued from the 19th of jan not existing ones. It's All in the link on my first post.

A lot of the trailers favoured by Westfield owners such as the Woodford Lightweight and Brian James Minno etc have gross weights of around 1600kg which is easily within the towing limit of most large family saloons.

A quick google suggests the towing limits for a mk3 mondeo is 1700kg braked and for an Audi A4 1900kg so both could legally tow a twin axle trailer (subject to the drivers licence)

My mk4 golf only just falls short being 1400kg :( which is one of the reasons why I have a single axle trailer.