The southern leg of the Yorkshire 8 - a brief report

Rory's Dad

Well, a little belatedly, here is a brief report of the southern leg of our Yorkshire 8.

I’d got up late and tried to print off the itinerary and the bloomin’ laptop came back with comments like “user intervention required”.  What??  I failed and jumped into the Westy sans itinerary and arrived at the Fox and |Grapes somewhat grumpy but pleased to see five Westies patiently waiting for me, including a guy from East Yorks (whose name I forgotten – sorry) who left us just before the M1 and Shaggy-doo and his young daughter who turned for home after lunch.

Some things are just plain childish and tunnel running in the centre of Leeds is probably one of them.  Slow the traffic down to 20mph and then give it some beans in second as you enter the tunnel.  It was just hilarious!  Time to be sensible and trundle down the motorways to pick up Tony Welch.  His partner was tucked up at home with a migraine at 4:30am so it was just him on his own.

So, what about the route?  Happily, Rich (TrickieDickie) knows this area well and took over the lead.  Up to the big antenna at Emsley Moor and beyond, a chance to take in some great views and lovely countryside.  I think I could see Ferrybridge power station away to the south east.  The roads were a bit lumpy and bumpy as we made our way onto the Mortimer Road which skirts the first bit of Peak District moorland.  There were lots of good views and some ‘interesting’ descents with really tight hairpins into some deep, dark and wooded valleys.  Before too long we were at the Strines Inn to meet up with the Gites man and HM.  We were hardly out of our cars when the Cheshire and North Staffs guys arrived so lots of happy chattering and introductions.  Norman was in fine form with tales of the NHS, the French taxation system, etc, etc to keep us all amused.  Actually, as we were all were nicely parked up and enjoying ourselves we decided to stay put and have lunch and jolly nice it was too – warm sunshine, great views and good company.

Rich continued leading the group off southwards towards Bakewell.  One of the reasons we had stopped at the Strines was we thought that Bakewell would be packed so what did we do next?  Park up in Bakewell and have a walk round.  We were right – it was packed but I managed to find a café for a cup of coffee and a bakers for the inevitable Bakewell Tart and a Sticky Toffee Pudding for supper back home.

The next leg of the trip was westwards and was led by Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman).  He managed to find a route saved on his TomTom which would take us through to Buxton.  This was again a cracking route taking in some magnificent Peak District landscape.  Our journey was somewhat compromised for a short while by a local bus but it didn’t really matter as we were in no hurry.  At Buxton, Dave peeled off to head homewards and we were then led northwards by Barry Wilson who took us up to the antenna at Holme Moss.  The route was on some more major roads via Chapel-en-le-Frith and Glossop but fine nonetheless.  The climb up to Holme Moss was steep and quite fast!  We’ve done this route the other way when meeting up with the Derby and North Notts area so the reverse journey was bound to be worthwhile.

There is a good car park at the top with some great long distance views and an ice cream vendor – a perfect combination although the breeze was a bit chilly.  From here we worked out our various routes home, who would follow whom and said our goodbyes.  Me?  I was onto the M1 north, Leeds and onto Harrogate.  Another excellent trip and just excellent weather too.  The route worked out well and I’ll be in touch with Rich, Dave and Barry to make a proper record of it.  A special thanks for the contributions guys and thanks too to everyone who came along.  Didn’t we have a brilliant time?

Rory's Dad

Fantastic Martin, thanks once again for organising this!

Glad I keep a few of my favourite Tyre .itn files on my Tom Tom now...

Thanks Dave.  Please could you send me the route between Bakewell and Buxton??  It was a cracker!  I think my computer will read an .itn file which is good because it has the written instructions too.

See you soon - Rory's Dad

No probs. will sort it out now.

IMAG0433

Lunchtime at the Strines Inn - and my first ever published picture!!

Rory's Dad

well done martin...

I nearly fell off my chair when I saw an avatar against your name, and that was before I opened the thread! Two pictures posted, and  you've captured either side of the Gadgetmobile between them. Wow. I feel strangely honoured.  :laugh: 

We both had a lovely day out Martin, thanks for organising it.

Took a detour with Millie to seek out the paragliding adrenaline junkies but she was more interested in 'little castles' ( pump houses near the reservoir). She was so tired, she fell asleep 30 mins away from home, didn't think that was possible!

Cheers to everyone present, she wants to come on the next one.

she fell asleep in the westy ! wow.

About 5 years ago Rory slept for over an hour driving home from Stoneleigh.  I don't know how he did it.

The boy's Dad

...and I've now added an avatar!!

Rory's Dad

:o  :t-up:  :o