Is the Speed Series a good place to start?

Graham.J

I'm intending on starting sprinting next year when I pass my driving test.

I have 2 options, I can either join my little local club and sprint with them for a season then move on to better things....

or....

I can start with the WSCC Speed Series, is this a good place to start? or am I better off getting some experience first?

Cheers

Graham

The heavyweights will be along soon, but I can vouch for the fact that the WSCC Speed Series is THE BEST way to start competing with your car.

Why?

- the large number of westfield entries so there are always other virgins around

- the friendly advice and support from the other competitors

- DITTO from the WSCC committe members Tom Green (Comp Sec), Mark Stanton (Chairman) etc

- ace choice of venues all round the country

- excellent standard of drivers & cars so you never stop learning

... that reminds me:

Tom, what do we have to do to get the Speed Series into one of the Goodwood sprints next year?

I'm in the Brighton & Hove MC who run a sprint there in August but I'm not sure of the protocols about getting our C'ship 'invited'. If I could be of help .... :t-up:

Yep, Speed Series is as good a place to start as any, especially as there are normally plenty of Westfields at every round (like 20 or 30, or more. We share rounds with other car clubs), and at our own events (there are 2) there'll be 80+.

BUT, lots of the rounds are north of Birmingham,. If I were you (and this is what I'm doing next year) I'd join some other clubs, or the local BARC area (assuming you don't live north of Birmingham), so that you get to do more local (to you) events.

Why thank you for those kind words Mr Drew  ;)  :D  :)

Yep, without being biased and remembering when I started a couple of years back - the friendliness, help and advice was and is great  ;)  :D  :)

One of the aims of the Series is to get first timers started on that rocky road to a sprinting overdraft  :devil:  :D  :)

We've got some fantastic venues - always looking for more, particularly south of Brum as Blatters says - so if you can have a word with someone Gary and try and get us an invite  ;)  :D  :)

If you're interested get onto the website and pre-register for a set of regs  ;)  :D  :)  :D

Hmm North of Brum may be quite difficult as Brum is 2hrs drive from me, although I'd drive that distance to race.

I'll have to see whats what when the new year comes around.

Cheers

Graham

Graham - they're not all in Brum - for 2002 there were 27 events - as far North as Knockhill and as far south as Lydden and Wiscombe and virtually everywhere in between  ;)  :D  :)  :D

Its just that there seems very little within an hour of London  :(  :)  :D

I think I'd be prepared to travel that sort of distance for racing as I hope to become a test driver and driving experience like that would be very valid to me.

What's the agenda for sleeping at a race meeting is it kinda bring a tent or stay in a b&b?

What's the agenda for sleeping at a race meeting is it kinda bring a tent or stay in a b&b?

Yes to both - whatever your budget and the weather allow.

You'll always find someone willing to share "hospitality" and sometimes space on the BBQ's  ;)  :D  :)

The Speed Series is a very sociable championship  ;)  :D  :)

Not too fussed about sleeping in a tent, I've slept in worse places like in a common in just a sleeping bag, with my brother in law and some of his mates.

d*a*m*n army people

The series sounds good to me, I looked into it a few weeks ago.

Edit because it blanked out d*a*m*n!

Edited again because it blanked out d*a*m*n in the last edit!

#### army people

Careful  :devil:  :D  :p  :)  ;)  ;)  :devil:  We know someone who has use of a tank from time to time  :devil:  :D  ;)  :)

Cool,

My brother in law drives a CET (combat engineering tractor) a beast of a thing it is too!

I have great respect for the forces, more so the army, top bunch of blokes.

Mark,

Re. Trying to get the 'SS' invited to a sprint at Goodwood

I will send Tom a message off-line, offering my help in whatever way in approaching the Brighton&Hove MC.

Gary

At this point I feel compelled to join in.

I also can't think of a better bunch of blokes than Army people - I think I've met a few in my time. And within the Army it is absolutely clear that the best are those in the units that drive CETs (and AVREs, AVLBs and other abbreviations).

Perhaps a pay rise or a bonus is in order for those fiune Army personnel?????

Dickie B

Bog off  :devil:  :D  :)  :p  and before anyone says it - I know we haven't been invaded for many many years - so it must be worth a hefty bonus - No.  :D  :)