New zetec just mapped

Mhoy2035

Gents, just got my westie mapped. Running with a new series 3, 2.0 zetec on jenvey tbs. standard cams. Hitting 155 bhp. Does this sound about right?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Speed Freak

• Mhoy2035

• Norman Verona

• User0083

That took a long time to finish Mark,  only just in time for summer.  power wise about right, will go up a bit when well run in.

Hey.... yeah, the engine was ready ages ago, however I decided to put a water rail on + oil cooler. Plus during that I had to change my tin top. So was only recently able to re tax and drive to the rolling road. Now I have to install a temp inline cat to get me past mot....then I'm really ready to go.

another set of cams and a little head work will gain you quite a lot of power at that stage- 180-200hp is easily done.

another set of cams and a little head work will gain you quite a lot of power at that stage- 180-200hp is easily done.

I have the 1800 silver top. 40mm Webers, lightened/balanced fly wheel and not sure what else, 154bhp. Was advised that a cam change would get me 180 area. Would that sound right to everyone else?

Also had anyone done this to a 1800 silver top? I'm worried that it would wreck the bottom end/idle. Due to injury track days have now got to stop, so it's not worth doing track aimed work.

I'm glad that you've managed to get your car taxed and ready for the late summer. I'm expecting a hot September/October. So you'll be able to enjoy it!

Mines a 1800 with the 135 spec ford cams and thats at 151bhp.

1313 has just had his 1800 silvertop ported and with a set of piper cams, now giving 185bhp

yeh with some cams and port/head work 185ish is easily achieved on the 1800, and the 2l seems to gain around 12hp more.

Its a cost effective upgrade I think-not talking too much money for cams-and relatively good gains-

yeh with some cams and port/head work 185ish is easily achieved on the 1800, and the 2l seems to gain around 12hp more.

Its a cost effective upgrade I think-not talking too much money for cams-and relatively good gains-

What about normal drivability, around town and in traffic? I know the power would be at higher revs, 6-7k??? But how the engine be at 1500-2000 rpm?

I think its only when you go for really wild cams that the engine will become a bit peaky.

At that sort of level, Im sure torque will remain, if not gain slightly, and hp will gain along the whole rev band-but obviously the main gains will be in the last 1/3 of the rev range.

I think its only when you go for really wild cams that the engine will become a bit peaky.

At that sort of level, Im sure torque will remain, if not gain slightly, and hp will gain along the whole rev band-but obviously the main gains will be in the last 1/3 of the rev range.

Cheers, I've always gone fast road cams and stage 3 head... Only really tuned the old A series engines and a 2.0 red top I put in a Corsa SXI. Well my brother did the work. But he put crazy race cams in something and was a nightmare to drive around town. He did put a 205 1.9GTI engine in a 205CTI once... I drove it to end of road, got out and made him drive it back! Muppet literally swapped engine, engine loom etc and left CTI wheels, brakes and suspension on it!

I'm expecting a hot September/October.

You saw it here, folks. 

I remember a few years back, when I wasn't sure what engine setup I fancied,I spent a bit of time on the sbd website looking at possible engine upgrade kits, and what dyno results they had produced.

I looked at the tb kit 205, and the tb kit 230 (I think there were called) and so on and so on- noting what power the engine produced at certain rev ranges.

with the xe engine, there was good benefits in both torque and hp upto about the 230 spec, after that it seems the main difference is only to be had at top of rev band... torque actually starts to drop off, making the engine very peaky, and more like a bike engine....

again this can all be seen on their website.

Which gives you very little clue how they'll behave in a Westfield with the right spec gear ratios, final drive etc.  ;)  :d 

tbf it doesn't matter what car the engine goes in- if the engine produces little hp and torque in the low revs, but lots in the top rev band, its going to mean lots of gear changing in order to overtake.

Not saying that your not right with what youre saying tho- as gear ratios and final drive make huge differences to how the power is put into real practice-but if an engines got little low down torque, it wont have any more with a different final drive-

Caterham got Brian Hill of BGH to produce the 6 speed box for the Caterham R500 due to it's very limited power band. Remember this 6 speed has a 1:1 6th.