Dambusters

Norman Verona

For those in and around Sheffield there is a little do on today at Ladybower to commemorate the Dambusters project, 70 years ago today.

They practised over Ladybower.

Check the times though, you may have missed it.

I was on my way back from the Yorkshire Dales yesterday, damn it! Had it been today I would certainly have made a detour to see that - it's a rare event that time will make less and less likely to be repeated because of the age of the aircraft. :bangshead:

We lived "round the corner" and on the 60th anniversary we were inundated. The roads around Ladybower came to a standstill.

The Lancasters flying over our house were just fantastic. If it wasn't for the thousands of visitors at Ladybower I would have gone round there.

Mind you when I was running the Blue Light Show I had a fly past by the Battle of Britain flight every year.  If you've never seen a Spitfire fly past then look up their engagements and get down to see them before it's too late. Promise you you'll have a tear in your eye. Everyone else will.

I hope it's on TV somewhere...

Would've enjoyed that.

I hope it's on TV somewhere...

Would've enjoyed that.

Clicky

Thank you Scott.

Wish I could have seen that live but the TV footage wasn't bad.

Bob  :)

Phenomenal bits of kit the Lancaster - although they are like a reverse TARDIS if you ever get to go inside one.

Of course, equipment like that is only as good as the chaps who use(d) it... whom we should must not forget.

One of the best displays of WW2 aircraft a part from this was about 4 yrs ago in Falmouth, over Pendennis Castle, a spitfire.

The pilot was awesome and the sound amazing, it stayed for 15 mins, swooping, performing loops and barrel rolls, something I'll never forget.

20 yrs ago I went to Ladybower to watch a similar fly past, again the WW2 Lancaster and Spitfire was there, it was strange because we were high over looking the Derwent dam and could see the planes below us.

There was also one plane that came over and I'll never forget that either as it past over dam wall it reared up and went for the heavens, the ground actually shook, that was a Vulcan bomber.

On the TV right now BBC2

Bob :d

On the TV right now BBC2

Bob :d

Channel?

I'll try and get it on us one.

Cheers.

Just watching BB2 - bought tears to my eyes - Brave Men.... Thankyou 

Is that Yorkshire TV like the Yorkshire Army have US Army on their jackets. Well maybe not.

Just finished now anyway  :(  11.20 BBC2 some more

Bob

Thanks, sky plus set for 1120, watch it tomorrow.

Prior to the formation of the Battle of Britain Flight, way back in 1973, as newly qualified Junior Technician on aircraft servicing flight V bombers RAF Waddington, I did the final preflight checks on City of Lincoln for my trade before it left us for it's new home with the Spitfire and Hurricane. Why it was ever at Waddington is a mystery to me as 617 were out of Scampton a few miles north.