Would you leave your Westie on the drive?

TAFKARM

Put a cover on. It becomes invisible.

I have a removable steering wheel and cut off switch too.  Still don't like leaving it anywhere because the car is so light you could push it onto a trailer.

Could you just park another car on the road in front of the drive or is it a wide kerb?

Keep on seeing bad postings regarding Birmingham......is it really that bad?
:down: Never been there (incase I crash into Steve)and from what I`m reading,don`t think a visit is on the cards.

I was only taking the p*** with the Birmingham thing, it's actually Solihull, la de dah

There is absolutely no problem with Birmingham, it's a city, it has nice areas, it has not so nice areas, it has nice people, it has a few not so nice people, you can shop there, you can eat there, you can live in piece there raise a family, go shopping watch several football teams, go to exhibitions, catch a plane to somewhere else get a train to somewhere else visit the cinema,theatre, be in London in an hour, drive to the coast for the day there is nothing wrong with Birmingham

Goodnight

Marty, well said!

I did not mention Birmingham in a bad light. Just said that my car was ok there overnight. The 16yr old that got me arrested was in Devon. In Birmingham most people are curious... Well everywhere people are very curious!

In my experience all small cars are driven into, all sports cars are blocked in and all big cars are to be avoided. :laugh: I've had mates have cars stolen and they all have been the people carriers, Merc's and BMW's. I believe it's more organised and cars stolen to order... So be cars easier to lose in a crowd! A few girls travelling alone have had people try to steal their cars. But failed.Heard of a couple of cars broken into, but both people at home, out of Birmingham. A couple of cars trashed, but they were also out of Birmingham.

I hate the place as a whole, but I lived in a bad area and the driving is insane. If you're local try driving from west brom football ground to one stop, then to Handsworth gym, then to Edgbaston reservoir between 1300 and 1600. That's before rush hour and when I've seen crazy driving.

As you can see, very precise places, so not all of the place and most the time I've been here being white makes you the minority and racially discriminated in the street... Especially when in a bright yellow convertiable!

Now I'm in Harbourne and mainly walk to town and back I've enjoyed take aways, restaurants, cinema and they wife enjoys the bull ring!

Complete lifestyle change from rock climbing three nights a week, indoor if raining, gym five days a week, in summer more rock climbing at weekends, surfing, kayaking and in the winter I'd be kite surfing, SUP, and sea kayaking. Going to little pubs and having a lovely drive in a nice little classic car...

To Handsworth and we were given panic alarms and informed of the intercepted plans that two British soldiers were to be captured and executed on live broadcast... That was at the end of the "meet and greet". So bad first impression supported by racial comments in the local pub.

Overall it's like anywhere, it's your perception that counts. I was due to be her 28 months that wast. 36 months ago. So I'm anti Birmingham for many reasons, mainly for people driving into a stationary Westfield three times! And for a guy going through a red light, turning right, wilhile phone against his right ear and didn't see a near 6ft rugby player and his 6ft wife. I've now lost my nursing and military career and almost lost my left arm and require to change my lifestyle to a sedentary one. Hence a bit of a rant... I think I've earned one though.

Oh if you are coming to Brum I have CCTV, alarm link to the police, windows, doors and rooms alarmed and bedrooms have two deadlocks on the inside of the room. Never have I thought to lock myself in a bedroom! There's an empty garage that's connected to the house, alarmed and only one way to open it, no key! Everyone one on my cul-de-sac has CCTV and alarm systems. So if a car was nicked there's atleast 11 camera's he'd pass before nicking it!

Yes, last house I'd not even lock it. Same as the cars, open with key in sunvisor!

It'll be fine, it's only like owning a motorbike and people leave them all over the place, the chances of you being in the wrong place at the wrong time have to be slim.

Birmingham is a top city - canals are really nice and Aston end is now getting some good regeneration.  Legal district in the city is better than many places - nicer than Northampton IMO.  If you are worried car being pushed put a motor bike chain through front wheel. :-) 

To clarify, I'm not having a pop at Birmingham. 

I'd be reluctant to leave the car on the drive overnight anywhere. 

I wasnt haveing ago at Birmingham either buddy - just trying to make  a  ttongue in cheek joke at guest's brum based carnage...  :p

Think those jokes have worn a bit thin though now, I know no offence was intended :d But it's not just Stephen living in Brum, perhaps time to move on?

Think those jokes have worn a bit thin though now, I know no offence was intended :d But it's not just Stephen living in Brum, perhaps time to move on?

:yes:

I've lost career and since op on Tuesday it's hit me how bad getting run over really was.

But on a positive, as with everywhere there's places to avoid. Unfortunately I was in the middle one of these without knowing. If I had started Brum life here, Harbourne, I'd not had a single incident and not had the opinion I have.

Back to the car issue, it'll be fine. I've left my keys in mine before now while out shopping, come back in a flap to find them in the ignition!

take an actual wheel off if you are worried and dont have a quick release or something! 

I suspect that in reality Birmingham is no better or worse than any other major city like London, Manchester, Leeds or Bradford.

Stephen has not lived much in major cities and is not attuned to the way things are.

Having been born and lived in London for 43 years I just loved driving in Paris. Paris is very much like Stephen describes Birmingham. However, having lived in rural locations for the past 23 years when I go to Paris now it does seem a bit manic.

The answer is to drive the same as everyone else. If two cars collide (not head on, but going in the same direction) , one doing 20 and the other 40 there will be damage. If they collide when both doing 40....... 

I hope that's a joke Norman, think many people have got board of it now.

In one car I had for 6years I covered 118,000 miles all over Europe, most the time in Dusseldorf. Spent many weekends in Amsterdam, Brussels and Paris... Many other cars and many other places and never even curbed a wheel parking.

I lived in Bristol, exeter, plymouth, never any issues. Lasted 2 years in Brum before anything and I feel that getting driven into three times while stationary has nothing to do with anything other than the third party error. Then run over on a crossing then on a pavement is again only fault of the third party. I've walked on pavements, crossed crossings everywhere, all over the world and never an issue. So guessing wrong place/wrong time situation. One incident, last one, I swerved and hit a curb hard, if I hit brakes I'd been rear ended, third party at fault... But reactions took over.

When will Birmingham comments end? It's not that bad in south Birmingham, where I am now. On junction has something every week... But not much more. If I lived here from the start I feel I'd never have had an incident and I'd have a different opinion of this place.however I know members here that have been involved in incidents in the last 4 months. So not just me, but seems every post I make ends up with a reference to this place.