BARC Westfield racing championship

Keith Scarfe

Hi Jonathan.

Yes I hope my calculations are correct. I have done and redone them umpteen times. I have also asked Clare at the BARC to confirm it but she cant yet. I do hope I am right. I will be doing the last two races anyway and I bet I wont slow down much and will still be trying to win.

What happened to you on Sunday then? I saw you arriving back in the paddock on the back of a tow truck. Not too bad I hope.

See you at Mallory.

Keith.

I learnt the vital lesson in the wet.....don't sit inches off someone's back bumper and expect to brake quicker than them!

I stupidly went up the back of Jonathan Moon's car. A real beginners mistake. I was in line for my first top ten finish (we all have to start somewhere!;) and the will to get that place got the better of me.

Apart from a bruised ego, all was well - just a bent steering rack and small damage to the front upright. The worst thing was causing damage to his car....I felt really bad about it. But I guess that's racing.

Jonathan

• 3 weeks later...

Here is my report of the latest round of the championship, which was at Mallory park on Sunday 29th September.

I went into this race knowing that all I needed to do to win the championship is turn up and enter. I didn't need to score any more points. But I do need to actually enter both the last two rounds to 100% confirm the title. So I thought in order to ensure the car is ok for both, I would take it relatively easy at this race. Well that was the theory. But I also thought, if I had a good qualifying session and got pole, I could get to the front, keep out of trouble and get the win.

Qualifying did indeed go very well. I had made a small tweak to the suspension since the last race and this seemed to help a little. I put in a time of 50.7 seconds which was 2 tenths faster than the lap record. I was on Pole position.

In the race I got a reasonable, not a great start but because I was on the inside line was able to keep my first position into the first corner. For the first lap and a half I had my mirrors full of cars challenging for the lead but defended the lines well. I eventually managed to pull out a bit of a gap to the second place battle. There were 3 or 4 cars all battling for second place behind me. As always in racing when you race like this you slow each other up. This allowed me to extend my lead right up to the finish and I eventually won by some 8 seconds.

So as far as the championship goes for me, nothing has changed. I am still leading by enough points to win, but I must still enter the final race of the season to confirm it.

Result : 1st.

Championship position : 1st.

Final round is at Thruxton on Sunday 13th October.

Cracking race at Mallory, particularly for the 2nd-6th places.

Start of race was delayed for quite a big off in the Formula Renault race. Does anyone know if the driver was OK.

Looked quite major where I was standing.

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

The BARC have officially announced the results of the Championship. It is

the best 8 out of the 10 rounds contested. I scored 161 out of a possible

168 points. That's 6 wins, 2 second 's and 5 fastest lap's.

Yippee Champion again.

BARC Results Page

Well done Keith. It must have been the wheels that did it ;-)

...not to mention your driving.

Best regards,

JL