Sprinting Tyres

Tomcat

Do you recon they get stickier as they wear?

I was speaking to a couple of people at the Chesire meet last night who have S02's at the moment & they were saying that as the tyre wears the compound gets more sticky/grippy.

I hope the AVS Sports are the same as things will only get better. :D  (not that they are not good now(double negative?))

Hopefully i will know better after next Friday!

Andy :t-up:

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tomcat

• Bananaman

• Mark Stanton

• keithadams

It is true, tyres get harder due to age and heat cycles, so to combat that the manufacturers make the compound stickier the further into the tread you go so as to maintain an even compound through the life of the tyre. By having them scrubbed before you use then you get to the stickier stuff before it has had chance to stiffen up with heat cycles and age. I didnt want to go and scrub them before I had used them and waste some of the tread because I like to use mine on the road as well so it would be a bit of a waste!

If in due course if I get a bit more serious I may get a sprinting only set and have them scrubbed.

Good luck on Friday! (What is going on at Cadwell?)

Apologies if someone has already mentioned earlier in the thread, that the block movement of the tread will substantially diminish as the tyre wears, and improve the grip. Great idea to have two sets if your'e using the car on the road alot :t-up:

block height deminishing will also increase yout corner force stiffness (compliance between rim and tyre/tarmac) which may or may not be good thing depending on your setup and what you are using the car for. I would pay more attention to your tyre pressures, and see what works for you!