Sprinting Tyres

Tomcat

Having just competed in my first competitive sprint at Curborough at the weekend in the road legal class with my Westfield, I discovered that my tyres are woefully inadequate.

I am therefore on the hunt for tyres which are in the "allowed list". Some people were running S02's, S03's and some were on Yoko's (unsure which type). I gather some Yoko's are on the list and some are not, so I am after some knowledge and advice from you guys who know what you are talking about.

Such as,

Which are best, and is the difference between the Yoko's and the Bridgestone something that I would notice?

Where is best to buy them?

Are there any changes to the listings coming up which would render any of the tyres illegal?

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tomcat

• Bananaman

• Mark Stanton

• keithadams

What championship are you registered for ???

Take a look at the permitted list in your championship for your class e.g. List 1A and or 1B.

Then consult the MSA blue book where you will see your options listed  ;)  :)

e.g. I'm in the WSCC Speed Series road-going clas which permits List 1A tyres - I use Yokohama 539's others use Toyo Proxes, and Bridgestone the strong favourite still seems to Bridgestone SO2's.

Your entered championship class may allow List 1A or 1B - you need to check things through  ;)  ;)  :)

Any changes to the MSA list will be published in the new blue book when issued.  ;)  :)

Mark, correct me if I am wrong but almost every road going class limits you to 1A tyres including the Westfield speed series (except the bike engined class) and the midland champs etc..

S02 have been discontinued I thought and the S03 is not really a direct replacement. If you can get S02's they do seem to have been the tyre of choice.

If you are coming to run a bike engine in the Westy champs then you can run 1B tyres like Yoko 32R's or even the Avon formula ford tyres. Watch out with the Avons as they are cross ply and so you need to reset the suspension geometry to suit.

Team Green - Not all championships restrict road-going to 1A there are a few with more "relaxed" tyre rules.

Yep BEC are allowed different tyres in the WSCC SS.

S03 are not a direct replacement - S02's can still be obtained, if you know where from  ;)  ;)

Also Tomcat needs to say what he's using at present - could be he has good tyres, but needs some tweaking on set-up to get the best from them.

Don't know what championship Tomcat is in, I assume the Wadham Kenning I'm not familiar with their regs so Tomcat would need to double check - its best to buy tyres once the new blue book has been published and your desired championship regs are issued, so you can see what the choices are  ;)  ;)  ;)  :)

I am entering the Friarsgate litchfield Curborough Sprint Championship, the list I have to use is 1A.

From what people have said I need to go with Yoko A539 or S02's, the S02's are a bit pricey so I may go for the A539's. What rating do I need, they come in H and V rated, what is the difference?

Also I get the impression that the A539's are not quite as good as the S02's but in reality how much is the difference, a little or a lot? the price is swaying me towards the Yoko's.

Over to you guys............ ???

I am running 3 year old Dunlop SP Sport (195/50/15) they have gone hard I think, they certainly feel harder than other peoples (they have also stopped wearing out, and are a bit shiny), I am running them at 18-20PSI depending on conditions.

SO2's are about £75 a corner, 539's about £35 to £45

H & V rating for the speeds you are probably attaining H should be fine.

Never been able to test SO2 and 539 back to back but every that uses SO2's come highly recommended - as do 539's

Not a full answer but  :)  ;)  ;)  But what are you using now ? and would either be an improvement on that ?

I am running 3 year old Dunlop SP Sport (195/50/15) they have gone hard I think, they certainly feel harder than other peoples (they have also stopped wearing out, and are a bit shiny), I am running them at 18-20PSI depending on conditions

What is the speed rating difference between H and V, Although the driver may be useless and the car is not set up well, it is quick, somewhere around 250BHP and it only weighs 470Kg so I dont want under rated tyres, however I do like the fact that the H rated are 30% cheaper than the V rated :D

I have just found some V rated Yoko AVS Sports (195/50/15) and been informed they are a better tyre than the A539's. Has anyone got any experience of these and how do they compare to the S02's?

how do they compare to the S02's
Don't know

Dump your old tyres  ;)  :D  :)  :)  :D

Cheers Mark, I think I will be going with the AVS sports!

George Polley has reccomended them as much better than the A539's and better than the S02's, I have told him what they are for and that is his advice. From what people have said GP know thier stuff! :D

Now you just need to turn to the tyre lists in the Blue Book to see if AVS' are list 1A..................

There is a Yokohama AVS Sport V102 in the blue book, I am assuming they are the ones :D

Still no-one out there who has any opinions on them?

Anyone.......................?  ???

Don't want to spend the money if they are going to be pants!

FWIW my vote is for 539's. They done me ok. S02 Are arguably better but hens teethy.

Although the AVS should be fine. H or V rating should be fine for Curborough.

either way for best grip the 539's want less than 5 mm of tread. 539's are quite good in the wet too.