Gullwing Westield

Hammy

Interested to Know the date on the advert cutting above from Womac. It states" to fit any wide bodied model."

The ebay car looks to me to be a narrow body, purchased in 1988 according to the listing? any ideas

That's my take on it.

I suspect you'd have to fit the windscreen, body and hardtop  all together at the same time to even stand a chance of getting them to line up.

I do like the concept though. But in practice the complexity of manufacture etc pushes the price right out there reducing the already limited market even further. I dread to think what the costs would be if you tried to properly make one out of carbon...

Way back in 2001 when I got my Westfield there was a guy called Darren who lived near me in Horsham that had built his own hardtop (red narrow with vx IIRC), I think he was a chippie but haven't see him or his car around in 10 years now - it didn't have gullwing doors and I think it had sliding side windows like an early Mini.

My abiding memory of him was at a track day at Kemble when he took my missus out for a quick lap, she came back and told me his detachable steering wheel wasn't lined up right so at around 90mph along a straight bit he pulled it off and then pushed it on :oops:   :laugh:

• Like 1