aintree today and fair weather drivers

SteveD

Nice to meet you Steve and everyone else. Managed to kept mainly dry which was good.

Dave I think the heater overloaded the electrical system :)

Aye - good run out.  Not sure we would have made the final leg without Steve's sat nav, although the bloke in his dressing gown is still probably picking himself up of the floor - seemed to be the most exciting thing he'd seen all year  :d .

In the interests of furthering my education.......was the earth cable intact, and still firmly bolted down but no longer capable of carrying a current?

In the interests of furthering my education.......was the earth cable intact, and still firmly bolted down but no longer capable of carrying a current?

If Steve's to be believed, it was well and truly bolted into place, but the absence of an ignition key was what did for it... Dave did sound convincing when he rang, but now I come to think of it, what I assumed was wind noise did sound rather like a coffee grinder.  ???

he couldnt possibly answer that as there was nothing wrong with the cable ,there was just a cloud in the sky

Cable slightly fraid, but 90% intact - more than enough to start. But all electrics absolutely dead - even LED sidelights.

(Notice how I'm ignoring those nasty people :p )

The Earth strap went to the O/S rack mount bolt, it had a toothed washer between the straps eyelet and the steel of the mount.

Testing it when I got home with a multimeter showed no continuity between the bolt head and any decent ground point on engine or chassis.

This earth point has been fine for a month, including travelling to and from Three Sisters the other week.

While hunting the problem, I assumed I had a hidden break in the cable, so used a spare to the N/S rack mount bolt. Though without the toothed lock washer. This didn't work at all.

Just checked again with a multimeter, The O/S bolt now has continuity. (I've removed the earth strap/washer and re-torqued the bolt). The N/S bolt still has no continuity.

I've replaced the eyelets on the earth strap and re-routed it to a good solid earth point on the chassis now. Seems to be fine.

I'm puzzled frankly.

yeh you keep talking to frankly, who the chuffs frankly

I would have been there!!!

But.....

Shed roof felt blew off and had to re felt it today.

You have done some great research for a plausible explanation. You could just say you didn't want to come . We wouldn't mind....

If a jobs worth doing, it's worth doing well  ;)  :p 

If a jobs worth doing, it's worth doing well  frankly ;)  :p

Need evidence in this court room!!!

I would have been there!!!

But.....

Shed roof felt blew off and had to re felt it today.

Thanks for the chat with everyone.... a great day.... just shame I didn't get my 100mph!

Cheers

John