aintree today and fair weather drivers

SteveD

nice to see everryone today at aintree and all the guys who drove there in there westys ,i couldnt make the starting point to drive there together but still made it in the lotus unlike one person who used the excuse of breaking down at the fuel station :suspect:  ???  i reckon he looked out of the window this morning and saw a cloud in the sky and jibbed out :laugh:  ;) but thats just a rumour im starting

• Like 2

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  

• Like 1

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  

from now on known as fair weather gadgetman

Hi everyone yes a real pleasure to meet you all again and a good day out. Dave you would have enjoyed it, shame you decided not to come at the last minute.......

Trust me, would have far rather been there!

Pulled into the Shell garage in Congleton about 8.20 am, total electrical failure when I came to restart, finally admitted defeat about 8.45 and rang Chris.

By 10.45 I'd found the issue an rigged up a temporary fix. (Having walked up to Halfords and bought some spare battery leads and stuff).

IMAGE_3CC153B4-DC3A-4327-A73A-19FFE24909

Not where I wanted to spend a few hours on a Saturday morning!

But thank goodness it did it on the petrol station forecourt. Can you imagine if I'd suddenly lost all electrical power halfway through the tunnel!

• Like 1

:down:  :blush: It's going to be years before I live this down, isn't it?  :oops: 

A trade card takes the edge off for stuff like that. but I know what you mean  :blush: 

Good to see someone else takes a few useful tools with them  :laugh:

What was it in the end then Dave?

Oh yes thanks to everyone who knows how to navigate, I went places I have never been today and would still be there without some excellent nav and a group that looks out for each other, we all made it

No ground from battery to chassis. Never been too keen on the rack mount bolts as the ground point for nose mounted battery, but it's worked fine up to now - went to Three Sisters and back only the other day. But now absolutely no continuity. (Initially thought it was the live to starter run as it seemed intermittant - then realised the cheap continuity tester in my in-car tool kit was falling apart :laugh:)

Rigged a temporary lead up from the battery's negative terminal to a manifold stud. (The only non suspension pick up bolt i could reach with the (short) battery leads I'd been able to buy at Halford's round the corner).

When I removed the ground wire at home i also noticed that the copper seemed to have frayed out of the crimped on eyelets slightly - though by no means enough to reduce the current much. So as I also bought some new eyelets this morning i've just replaced them.

Refitting everything to the car now and clipping wires back up.

anyone can park there car up and take the bonnet of then take a picture , that was from last year wasnt it fair weather

:laugh: I'll have you know that took hours in Photoshop; I even got the shadows right ;):p :p :p