Building a Westie for the Series next year

Stuart C

I am looking to build a car for the series next year (once I have sold my car) Will not be using the car for road use.

Although I have not entered a series before I have had quite a bit of racing instruction (silverstone racing school) (Jonathan Palmer) (Nigel Mansel) and have driving lots of track days and also manufacturer supported track test days.

Are there many first timers in the modified classes and how do they do?

Is the modified class down to budget (I am looking to spend no more than 15k)

Am I better off in the Road Standard Class?

I am not sure which kit to purchase to start with. Or which category to enter.

Obviously the car spec will be the deciding factor for Category.

Should I go for the Westie lightweight chassis?

Would like to fit the VX 2.0 but series could dictate VX 1.8 16v.

Am I OK to fit suspension/hubs/brakes from CAT motorsport or do I need to stick to the factory standard Items?

Thanks Stuart C

You can be a novice in either Roadgoing or Modified and what you save on road bits (lights/heater/weather gear etc.) you can spend on go-faster goodies.

Apart from the Vx engines, have a think about using the Ford Puma 1700 -  John Palmer is setting some great times in his car up against the 2 litre cars.

You only need to think about the 1.8 Vx engine if you're in the Roadgoing class as the Modified cc break is at 2 litres and the 1.8 Zetec has probably as much going for it since the factory fit it and there's plenty of tuning bits around.

If this is just for racing, go for the lightweight chassis and bodywork and you can fit the CAT Motorsport bits even in the Roadgoing classes.

Good luck

And the Toyota engine is raising a few eyebrows  :)  :D  ;)

You will be able to use 99.9% of the Speed Series Sponsors bits and pieces. Good Luck

Thanks Guys

Didnt mean to just pick out juts Cat as I have used some of the other Speed series sponsors bits on my existing car. Like Playskool and SBD. It was as an example.

Cheers

Stuart