Benefits capped

Graham0127

Jeff,

Great point! I believe there are old coal miners hoses that are worth poke all and empty. Instead of building new blocks, move people in them! aquote]

There are and they are but please, I prefer the neighbours I have to thieving r!@#$%&*s

Wow! It's exploded!!!!

Back to my mate, civilian. He's happy as hell. Did work experience when at school, got a job off it. Still works there 15yrs on. Goes off his tree when this thing is talked about!

He works 10-4, Mon-Fri. Minimal responsibility, goes to the pub when he wants, plays football most nights and weekends. Lives the life of a teenager. But is happy with it. No car, still has old fashioned TV he got when he moved out 16yrs ago... Nice bloke! Zero ambition past being on local football team and training school kids.

But he's happy.

There are and they are but please, I prefer the neighbours I have to thieving r!@#$%&*s

Clearly you're in an occupied area. Saw on Top Gear streets of empty houses. An ultra cheap house balances out losses you'd have owning an Alfa! Sure that's what it was about.

I say we should send them to France! Make them fend for themselves in the valleys! Only the strong will survive!

Christ....I wish I hadn`t started this topic.

Life is shi7 for some and great for me..........

Don`t claim,won`t claim.

Loadsa money,beautiful wife,great kids.........and a dog.

Well I think so....:-)

Not all on benefits are thieves, but equally there are cheaper areas which could economically benefit from regeneration and the influx of people able to work both on the regeneration and the jobs afterwards.

We need to get some of the grants from the EU for deprived areas and use it to attract companies to invest here. Already in South Yorkshire for example the old mines area and coke works near Manvers has huge warehousing and several call centres. Around there is now being built good hosuing which is cheap. New two bedroom houses for around £115000 and houses to buy of the old two up two down type from low £40k. It is still tough but it shows what regeneration does.

People take benefits as they are offered, if they were not for spurious things then they would work instead.

So some would say put wages up, whilst I would advocate sorting out the unnecessary benefits so we can increase for genuine cases the necessary.

You will never get agreement on this as in many areas they revel in their victim status mindset and love to play their role to the full and it is not a North South divide.

I don't have sufficient knowledge to comment on corporation tax... all I know on that front is my mate seems to buy everything he has "for the business" and claims he pays no vat.... so I have no sympathy for business' if your allowed to get away with that sort of thing. key workers don't get those kind of perks and they often get crap pay and aggressive conditions.

if the minors houses are like the ones in Liverpool then there is little else to do than rip them down and put new ones up. it was a shame to see the nice looking Victorian houses with the big windows high ceilings etc get ripped down but from all accounts there was little else to do. anything of value had been stripped from them by thieves leaving a rotting shell.

jeff we already do take these. Liverpool has benefitted immensely from European money.

What we, as a country, need to do is stop chucking our money at Africa, China and other places. KEEP IT! Charity starts at home. How can we afford to give money away if we don't have enough for ourselves???

• Like 3

I don't have sufficient knowledge to comment on corporation tax... all I know on that front is my mate seems to buy everything he has "for the business" and claims he pays no vat.... so I have no sympathy for business' if your allowed to get away with that sort of thing. key workers don't get those kind of perks and they often get crap pay and aggressive conditions.

if the minors houses are like the ones in Liverpool then there is little else to do than rip them down and put new ones up. it was a shame to see the nice looking Victorian houses with the big windows high ceilings etc get ripped down but from all accounts there was little else to do. anything of value had been stripped from them by thieves leaving a rotting shell.

jeff we already do take these. Liverpool has benefitted immensely from European money.

It was an example of areas that have poor quality housing stock that could benefit from regeneration cash in return for offering alternatives to spending £2k a month for rent in Londons most expensive areas. I have a freind who bought a whole row of two bedroom houses in Newcastle that were to all intents unlivable. They were peanuts for the whole 20, he refurbished then to a good standard built a small extension on the back of them all to house an upstairs Bathroom and enlarge the downstairs. These were all taken over on long term leases for low cost homes by the local housing association. He is happy they are happy as the council inturn is happy as they do not have to pay fluctuating rates. Since them others have refurbished other homes in the area and built new ones around and alegedly it is an fair palce to live now.

There are places all around the country that have areas like that which might offer a cost effective alternative.

Liverpool IIRC they were able to get a shed load of money as they were chosen as the city of culture in 2008 and used it well. However I feel other areas are almost ashamed to claim as it suggests they are deprived.

The council in Liverpool has been selling off Victorian Terraced houses for £1 each, on the condition they are brought up to Decent Home Standard , and buyers live in them for three years.  Developers can buy them as well, on the condition they renovate them and sell them at 75% of market value.

Shame that we paid up to £70K for them when they were purchased as part of a botched regeneration scheme, but, what is done is done, I can see this working if they end up in the right hands, i.e. no local council skullduggery goes on!  an opportunity to free up some social housing.

I rember reading about that Jim. I didn't think developers were allowed. and it seemed the criteria was tight as quite a few people I know didn't qualify. vast amounts of the areas have gone and new houses are starting to spring up. tbh they look ok in a sort of new build generic housing estate way. much better than the rundown derelict stuff that was there. the city is really changing on that front and is a very different place to when I first moved here.

the Liverpool 1 complex is testament to that. years ago I wouldn't have dreamed of going to these places but now they have great bars/ restaurants etc. not convinced by the massive amount of flats but people are there living rather than the hookers and druggies of old.

yes jeff they did get city of culture and it made a HUGE difference. legacy stuff from that is still happening.

money still needs to be spent on the developing world but it should be targeted. research is a vital tool that is helping the countries to develop and work.