See, we survived!

tolf

Can you get Jubblys now? They were much better than a simple ice lolly.

HM has just come up with Spangles.

I can remember penny gobstoppers. Why do I get an image of memSec, reading this and scratching his head. 

Going to the car auction with my dad and standing like a soldier because he said if i moved my arms i'd end up buying a car.

Remember him buying a ford 100e with air operated wipers for my mum with a blown engine for £6 and a yellow and cream anglia for £12

No Jubblys around now Norman.

Nothing wrong with a 100E Craig, was my 1st. car, went all around the UK in it camping over a couple of years and never failed to start or breakdown and air wipers, they were a "Feature" :) of cars for that era.

Blimey, just popped down the village and walked past The Lions Saturday book stall, complete set of Eagle Annuals for £2, almost bought them to wind up my 7 grandchildren as I used to have the set, then progressed onto the Famous Five. Hit  70  a couple of days ago,still feel 18 and can outrun my kids (40 plus), remember all the above as a youngster, no TV, no computers, very few cars ,saw ice cream at 7 for the first time on the Queens Coronation, at 9 sweets still required a ration book. At 14, 10 Woodines were  1s.4d, a pint of brown and mild 1s.2d, petrol 2s.2d a GALLON, Shops closed Saturday and Wednesday afternoon and all day Sundays, some also closed for lunch. All aspects of life required  a considerable level of planning and organisation which would be a complete mystery to todays generation.

Any one go to the Saturday morning cinema club?   Cartoon, Cowboy film and another film for 6pence.       Kept me happy for a coupe of hours whilst mum did the shopping.

Sooty, I went to Saturday morning pictures. 

Iain, we could get one woodbine and a match for 3d each when I was at junior school.  I was smoking at 9. I stopped over 45 years later.

When I was about 10 my dad got me a weekly newspaper for kids. I loved it but it didn't last long. Can't remember what it was called.

I think my first pint was 1/9d. When I got my first car petrol was 3/6d a gallon. I picked up so many speeding fines in my first year driving that I sold the new MIni I got in 1964 and bought a 100E to slow me down. Didn't last long, it was far too slow. I then bought a Wolseley 6/90 and promptly lost my licence for 6 months for Dangerous driving (speeding in heavy traffic). That may have been the last car I owned for years as I used cars from the workshop until I got a company car. Since the income tax on cars we've run our own cars. All my present cars (Audi A6, MG Midget and Caterham) are mine.

I still can't fathom old money! Also had to Google what a 100e actually looked like (although I knew what it was).

My first car was the 100e in linden green for the princely sum of a bluey

I remember making bombs out of bangers  :laugh: Fill a fizz bottle up to near the top with water and then find a stone that fits in the top, tie a bit of cotton to it and the other end to the banger.  Then light the banger drop it in the bottle as it starts to fizz screw the lid on real quick and run like F**k.

That one got me a slap round the lughole by the local bobby, as he just happened to come round the corner in his panda car as it went off.

WARNING DONT TRY THIS AT HOME    (Bet you do) ;)  :angry:

I was running a service station with two work bays just off the Tottenham Court Road when decimalisation came in. Seemed very difficult to learn, or more to the point convert. BP had courses for us. I still convert back so when a stamp costs 53p I exclaim that's more than 10/6d.

Threepenny bits

Sixpences

Florins

Half a crown

Tv programs like Hogans Heroes,Ask the family, multi coloured swap shop, banana split , Black and white minstrels.

Breaking up bangers pouring the contents out and lighting it  "Was called a genie"   ended up with one in my face and looking like the latter above lol

When I was nine, and my brother seven, we lived in Rushden (Northants). Our favourite Saturday morning activity was to walk from our home to Rushden railway station and take the train (steam, of course) to Wellingborough and back. We didn't get off, we just enjoyed the journey and sat in our compartment until the train chuffed back. The return fare for the two of us was 3d. We never considered attempting not to pay.

My grandchildren will be 9 and 7 this year  --  I wonder whether (Beeching permitting) they'll be allowed to do similar.

My first "family vehicle" was a 650 BSA lightning, with single seat sports chair. Blew the barrels clean off the crankcase, chasing mk 1 grandad down the steep hill that runs into Lincoln. First ticket £10 speeding up steep hill out of Lincoln. Had to stop at traffic lights when m/cycle cop caught up with me on his comando, I was on 250cc super six he said if the lights had not of changed he would of given up.

Frequent visits to the bike shop for puncture repair kits and cotter pins. Bending lots of mum's spoons.

Walking to school for what seemed like miles. One school I walked through a couple of farmers fields to get to it!

Dare I say this??, The original side valve engine and 3 speed gearbox from the Ford 100E Prefect found its way into Mr Chapmans Lotus 7??

I remember the local shop selling single cigarettes on a Friday morning and they were also sold in packets of 5, I started smoking at 14, decided money was better spent on motorbikes and gave them up 6 months later, never touched one since. As a teenager I was always the tallest boy in the school and I would be called out of class to the Headmasters office to pop out and get his 20 Senior Service. I did not give up the beer though, the choice was pretty limited and Brown and Mild was the Bikers Drink and you could get s***t faced on 7 pints for 10 shillings ( 50p). Suddenly Lager appeared on the scene which was considered a " bit la de dah" as a blokes drink especially in half pints. One night we decided to give Lager a go, 7 pints of lager each with a peppermint top and 7 packets of the "new" cheese and onion crisps, we were several days recovering.