Does the server go down regularly?

Norman Verona

I've been experiencing a loss of the forum on a regular basis. For example I had typed a pm yesterday afternoon and when I clicked on SEND it just sat there trying to send it. I copied and pasted the text and closed the forum but it wouldn't re-connect.

I tried an hour later and it opened.

This has happened a few times and, I think, it's usually in the afternoons. If Adrian is taking it down for maintenance than that's OK so I'm only raising it if it's an unknown problem.

There was a big internet usage problem yesterday in general. Some stuff about it on the news, but way over my head.

Nick, it wasn't just yesterday and when the site went down I checked other sites. I even uploaded a changed page to my website and it was there so I wasn't getting cached pages. I also opened a website I've never been to before.

This is because the boardroom has a secret BBMASAR function - Bad Behaviour Monitor And Site Access Restrictor - that watches what you do online and limits the time people can log in if they've been naughty.

It's a miracle I'm ever here! :laugh:  :blush:

Seriously, Adrian is aware of it and is working on a fix / upgrade, but this may take a bit of time, so please be patient and expect a possible temporary and sporadic blackout when he's actually sweating over a hot server and sorting it, the poor sod. :)

No problem, I wasn't complaining just informing. 

Maybe Adrian could post here the issues he's aware of and working on so we all know not to report things that he is ware of. Doesn't need a long explanation just a simple one liner.

I might be offline in about half hour - going to put the kettle on :d

i noticed that when i used boardroom.wssc.co.uk it locked up but if i went to the proper address (which i can't remember) http://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum it was ok

cheers

We have some conditions that are occuring that are battering the database. The problem is that when this occurs we end up in a cascading issue, as peoples web requests then queue up all asking an already battered databse for millions of more pieces of information. The of course naturally people hit F5 or try again queuing up more databse requests.

There are some points in time when the database is battered due to load as well as backing up and or log shipping. I have aleviated this as much as possible. Previously this had mean popular times like 8pm were sure fire problem times.

This isnt a bandwidth issue, so Spamhaus porblems should not have any bearing.

I hope for a permenant fix shortly which will probably involve upgraditis.

The database had a massive amount of data

Thanks Adrian, now I'm aware you're aware I know it's not me and to leave it for a while.