Just an Idea.....

MWMSport

I know I'm a newbe so show me the door if you disagree but,

On other forums I'm on for diffent cars I've owned they have a sub forum called Garage/Projects for people who are doing major mechanical work to there cars or building from scratch and people who just want to put a small paragraph about cleaning it or going for a drive or changing the wheels would use the blog.

I've noticed there's nowhere really to put a full build thread.

As I say, just a thought.

good thought - and i love the pic of you sitting on the concrete with the body shell around you...... are you going "brrmm brmmmm" at the same time  :p   

james 

I ran a build thread in Chat and Nonsense - it has had 33,653 views since it started in October 2011, and it still shows as a hot thread now and the car has been built 12 months :oops:

http://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/90534-kugawesties-build-thread-now-an-upgrade-thread/?&hl=kugawestie

IMO if you run a build thread, people will find it and view it based on the above. Not sure it warrants a seperate section. Just my opinion of course!

As Kugawestie said, the build threads run in stuff and nonsense, or tech talk, seem to get huge numbers of views, but even more importantly to my mind, they get the biggest response in terms of comments, suggestions, questions etc by the broadest range of club members, compared to other areas of the site. It's this two way element rather than just a flat "this is how I did..." That really help push ideas and development of our cars further. Sometimes you even find yourself changing direction slightly, for the better, as a result of this two way "conversation".

Just to add, quite a few members also use the View New Content button to keep an eye out for new posts and threads. This effectively strips ALL sub sections out and just groups every new, unread post together.

Just to add, quite a few members also use the View New Content button to keep an eye out for new posts and threads. This effectively strips ALL sub sections out and just groups every new, unread post together.

Very good point that Dave

You could, of course, use the new blog feature. 

I would have thought that the place to put a build blog would be the blogs.  :)

However, historically they've been in stuff and nonsense or tech talk 

I would have said it depends on if you want feedback or just to inform.

If the first then Tech Talk. If the second then in a Blog

Nick, I thought you could get feedback on blogs. It's in the form of comments so may not be quite the same.

This is how I mainly view the site as I generally view from my phone, only using the pc to view pics

Let's be honest here - this is a case of OFS for many of us.  That is to say Old Fart's Syndrome.  We are used to certain old things and resist new things, like blogs.  Until (or unless) we get used to using blogs, we will avoid them because we aren't comfortable.  But a build thread does make better sense in a blog from a future reference point.  Think of a blog as a book, with each new entry like a chapter.  If you name each chapter well, finding the info is much easier.  Plus doing a search in the blogs will be faster and more accurate than searching the forums for the foreseeable future.

Still, each to their own - but early adopters will benefit in the long run IMHO.

I know I'm a newbe so show me the door if you disagree but,

On other forums I'm on for diffent cars I've owned they have a sub forum called Garage/Projects for people who are doing major mechanical work to there cars or building from scratch and people who just want to put a small paragraph about cleaning it or going for a drive or changing the wheels would use the blog.

I've noticed there's nowhere really to put a full build thread.

As I say, just a thought.

i totally agree but received similar answers when i raised it.

personally my views have not changed,  a site for kit cars needs a build section and to suggest that someone documents the build of their dream in a section called "stuff and nonsense" beggars belief.

and imho the blogs idea for builds just doesnt work.

old fart ? me ?  errr yes :suspect:

I disagree on that one Scott, IF you hope for meaningful assistance/discussion, the blogs are poor for that. As Nick says, they ARE suitable if you just want to tell someone what you're doing, less so when it comes to the info back. But then one of Normans favourite expressions kicks in, "you don't know what you don't know", how many times on build threads have other members spotted something important that the builder wouldn't even think to ask about?

Hopefully the "footfall" through the blog section will get better so that at least more members view them...

i totally agree but received similar answers when i raised it.

personally my views have not changed,  a site for kit cars needs a build section and to suggest that someone documents the build of their dream in a section called "stuff and nonsense" beggars belief.

and imho the blogs idea for builds just doesnt work.

old fart ? me ?  errr yes :suspect:

Personally, with the renamed sections, I'd be posting in technical myself, not 100% applicable I admit, BUT its probably the best section where I would hope to get something akin to "peer review", from the broadest spread of our technically literate members. (And by peer review I mean constructive criticism, and extra pairs of eyes looking out for anything I've missed, not a search for a pat on the back)

My other consideration is that any answers and solutions to problems overcome during the build process will show up in a simple search of the forum. As the blog area seems to be a sepperate section as far as the search engine goes(? - I'll gladly be corrected on that if I'm wrong?) build threads in the Blog section will require a sepperate search of those areas.

(Not tried the search recently, will try it now as I know there have been changes under the hood)