Nitrogen

Paul Gibney - Lancashire AO

I think that was one of the points Fifth Gear were making; the average garage isn't/can't do the job properly, so the tyres are usually filled with a contaminated mix. This can then end up being as bad or worse.

Correct the best you can hope for from going to a tyre shop/garage to do is fill the tyre with OFN then let it all out by removing the valve core refill and repeat the process and then on the third time fill with OFN. You still will not have got rid of all the air but you cant practically pull a vacuum in a tyre to remove all air.    

I've used air since I saw James Bond breathing from a tyre under water. You never know when this might be useful.

• Like 3

Still working my way thought my stock of SteveD's bottled farts he was selling on here some time ago so not had a need to go to nitrogen!

Still working my way thought my stock of SteveD's bottled farts he was selling on here some time ago so not had a need to go to nitrogen!

Not to be used underwater, as previous post

the gas does not expand like oxygen with heat. 

Isn't nitrogen subject to the ideal gas equation (PV = nRT)?

Surely if V, n, and R are constants (which they would be in a leak free, constant volume, container), then any increase in temperature (T) must result in an increase in pressure (P)?

• Like 1

The Nissan GTR's tyres are filled with Nitrogen from the factory, so there must be some value to it. But then it's a heavy, hard cornering car which probably gets a lot of heat in its tyres and I expect Nissan are able to make a proper job of putting the nitrogen in rather than rely on Kwikfit Barry with a bottle of gas.

Ben 

The Nissan GTR's tyres are filled with Nitrogen from the factory, so there must be some value to it. But then it's a heavy, hard cornering car which probably gets a lot of heat in its tyres and I expect Nissan are able to make a proper job of putting the nitrogen in rather than rely on Kwikfit Barry with a bottle of gas.

Ben 

There sure is some value in it. It makes great marketing for Nissan. Look at our car it's so special it need fancy gas in it's tyres :d Or am I being cynical :cool:  

Cynical, a little.

I guess it doesn't matter what's in them, nitrogen,air,helium whatever.

so long as they keep us on the black stuff ....

Isn't nitrogen subject to the ideal gas equation (PV = nRT)?

Surely if V, n, and R are constants (which they would be in a leak free, constant volume, container), then any increase in temperature (T) must result in an increase in pressure (P)?

:yes:

Boyles Law