Nitrogen

Paul Gibney - Lancashire AO

Does anyone else put Nitrogen in tyres.

Had it done nearly 2 years ago for winter car and psi never moved !

Yes i do, road car, works van and westfield. I find it good and have been told by people in the know that it should be done. 

Doing on westy this week.

don't think it will make much difference but every little helps.

I can't see any reason for this if the air source you are using is free of water. As I doubt most garages stock the kind of pure nitrogen used in a lab I suspect it's all a load of bulls*** designed by someone using a "science" angle to try and get money out if you.

Although not the most stringent scientific argument I think 5th gear sums it up

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=knHeUF9JLzg&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DknHeUF9JLzg

A complete waste of money as proved in many a trade and news stand mag and more recently on 5th Gear

Buzz

paid £1.00 per tyre and not had to top up at all in 2 yrs

money well spent..

A complete waste of money as proved in many a trade and news stand mag and more recently on 5th Gear Buzz

this x 10

I put it in my Astra cabriolet I had a few years ago. Felt smoother, lighter on steering and psi stayed the same for a couple of years.

Half of it could be down to correct tyre pressure! But it seemed to stay constant for longer. But air is 80% nitrogen anyway.

Just watched Fifth gear video, confirmed what thought. I check tyre pressures every couple of weeks anyway.

i get bottled farts from Middlewich Auto Bodies - delivered by Owl like in Harry Potter :)

• Like 1

Also nitrogen is inert which may be why its used in aircraft. If a plane has a crash landing and is on fire you don't want air in the tyres fanning the flames if the tyres go bang.

Also nitrogen is inert which may be why its used in aircraft. If a plane has a crash landing and is on fire you don't want air in the tyres fanning the flames if the tyres go bang.

I've seen aircraft tyres go bang. On TV, not real life... Might of been a film. Actually, probably was a film.

I think if you are really serious you should be considering helium for the Westie   it  will be   150 g  aprox  per wheel lighter .

It also is inert and dry and will leak out of the tiniest defect.