Audis

Darrell O'Neill

why not just stick to the whole volkswagen group??? All well made cars... Youve got a lot of choice-

vw, audi, skoda, seat, lambo, porsche, bugatti!

If I was you, Id get myself either a seat or new generation skoda-depends if they are within your budget.

Skoda is just vw with another badge on it, and made by people across the border who dont get paid as much per hour-hence the price difference.

parts are pretty much all the same.

Thanks for all the info, certainly food for thought guys.

The reason for my choice is with the family I need something to cart the kitchen sink around in, the choice of quattro or scooby is because I live in the back of beyond and need the 4wd when the weather is bad. Also its something I'll probably end up towing the westie with it when the whole family wants to come racing...

I must see if I can find a 160bhp estate to have a drive it. The scooby looks fun but really cant get my head around the crappy interior.

my choice would be skoda octavia estate 2.0 vrs

170bhp loads of room and not too slow.

not quite as much fun as a scooby or an audi but a bit more reliable..

my choice would be skoda octavia estate 2.0 vrs

170bhp loads of room and not too slow.

not quite as much fun as a scooby or an audi but a bit more reliable..

Would be my choice too but not within his budget.

For me an audi is definitely a refined, practical choice but never a 'fun' one.  When I say never I can really only refer to the one that I have owned so hardly conclusive.  It was an S3 (so top of the range 3 class) and it is was a really boring drive.. just soulless.

I would agree,but if you want soul then it's an alfa and no  reliability.

It is actually the shortest period I've owned a car.  Sold it after 4 months.

Isn't Steve selling a civic type R..  very fun and reliable.  Probably doesn't fare very well on the refinement front though.

There have been at least 5 recommendations in this thread for the 1.9DT lump, which is sort of the problem. They are sought-after which keeps the prices high, means more buyers are hunting them down leaving you to pick through the tatty, low-spec high milers. Also anyone who specced that engine did so with a mind to keeping running costs to a minimum. Not the sort of mindset you want from someone you're buying a car from because they were probably be tempted to cut corners with the servicing too. 

A larger petrol engine is still capable of big miles, but you have more chance of finding one owned by a caring enthusiast and there are fewer people looking for a 'thirsty' engine while diesel is still fashionable. They're nicer to drive and the less torquey nature of the engine will give the running gear an easier time. The 1.9td engines tend to eat clutches and dual mass flywheels.

The extended serving intervals that most Audis get run on may appeal to new car buyers, but doesn't encourage long life further down the line which is another reason I'd prefer to find a low mileage petrol over a leggy diesel. And doing 4k pa there is just no reason to saddle yourself with a diesel.

Ben

What ben said.

I bought a impreza wrx, they amazingly cheap now and not that expensive to run if you do limited milage. :)

. The 1.9td engines tend to eat clutches and dual mass flywheels.

I reckon I have sold close to 1,000 audi diesels and in that time Ive bought one dual mass flywheel which strangely was knocking on a low mileage A4  and some of the car that have been through my hands have done over 300,000 miles , one in particular I sold was an a6 1.9tdi avant to a guy in york sold him the car at 100,000 miles, he put the car back in Px against another A6 at the time his car had then done 320,000 miles, he said in that time he had replaced 3 timing belts discs and pads and oil services. nothing had failed was even on the original clutch!! , I sold the car on to a guy in Ireland and as far as I know its still going! 

I seriously doubt if the 2.0 tdi that replaced the 1.9 is capable of doing that sort of mileage  :down:  :down:  :down:  plus side is they seem to have got it right with the new Cr TDI engine  :cool:

• Like 1

Darrell has also stated that he is looking for a car for the family .. and kitchen sink :d so i would hasten that uber power is not the be all and end all as he'll not be hurtling along the road with his family on board! A car with a bit of poke still, for lugging (the family) and kitchen sink about is a bonus for sure, but comfort, space and reliability would probably be the order of the day.

Funny really, I've a 270bhp MkI TT that, since owning the Westy, I don't drive half as hard and fast as I used to .. keeping that thrill for the Westy! :laugh:  

Bit of an urban myth Alfa reliability, from personnel experience I have had more problems with German cars than I did with 8 years off alfa ownership. Like anything else keep up the servicing and checks and buy one when the biggest hit on depriciation as passed at around 3/4 years old and you won't go far wrong. Sure they nave niggles and horry stories but so does German stuff if you look on the variuos owner forums.

Clutches and DMF's on the VAG diesels do fail regularly. Having been a regular on the Skoda and other VAG forums and had a couple of 1.9 engined cars, the consensus of opinion was driving in too higher gear for the speed of the car. We found hat changing from 1st. to 2nd. at 10mph. : 2nd. to 3rd. at 20mph and so on till 6th. gear when you should change no earlier than 60mph. Cars plodding around town at 30mph and in 5th or 6th gear were guilty of wrecking a clutch and DMF and the drver would have noticed some degree of judder at these low speeds. I have an A3 2.0TDI now and drive around with the same consideration for the clutch and DMF.

That will change soon, sure Alpha are under the VAG umbrella now.

Alfa Romeo is owned by Fiat. GM had an agreement to take over the remaining shares they had in Fiat but reneged on the deal when they went broke(ish). I haven't heard that's changed.

All I can say is that everything still works on my 2004 A6 and it's done 137,000 miles I bought it in April 2011 as we were back in the UK and I needed to come back to France every 6 weeks or so to cut grass and generally look after the place. Then it all changed and we came back. So we now go back for a week once a year.

The car had a full service history. A new gearbox was fitted at 98,000 miles. I've changed the cam belt, water pump, oil and all filters. It's also had new brake pads and one rear caliper. 

It's not exciting, it's reliable and comfortable and does what I bought it for very well.