Audis

Darrell O'Neill

I keep looking at changing my trusty Pajero for an Audi 'Quattro' of some type that should be a little more refined and fun more fun to drive. Would need to be an estate to get the family crap in and as its just a local run around sub 4000 miles a year I'm hardly going to break the bank with a 3-4k budget.

As Im probably going to be looking at something hige millage and probably 2001-2003 vintage. Can I have peoples suggestions on engine types and sizes? Whats going to be bomb proof of that age and millage and yet still fun to drive?

I know a few of you guys have plenty of knowledge on the subject, so some recommendations would be great...

I keep looking at the 3l petrol, but a petrol engine with something like 120k+ miles fills me with dread...

My Audi A4 2.5 V6 diesel went pop with 134k on it a year ago stay away from that engine

When I broke it for bits I meet lots of V6 diesel owners :(

I've had 2 scoobys one I got up to 158k still running great and not using oil when I sold it if you are looking for a 4x4 estate that's fun to drive and cheap have a look at them

I'm back with Land Rovers my last Land Rover Disco got to 198k then fell apart with rust and never touching an Audi again :(

Subaru Forester - looks nice and can be had for not a lot of money although diesels might be hard to find but if you are only doing nominal mileage petrol should be OK.

According to the expert, Mr Cooper, the 1.9 TDI is good for 300,000 miles. My A6 has done 137,000 and is still going strong. We are suppliers (computer systems) to the VAG group and I'm told the most common reason for engine failure is lack of oil and the wrong oil. I have the recommended oil and top it up regularly.

I'm more than happy with my Audi and at this rate it will outlast me.

• Like 1

PickMaster, a scooby is my other option funnily enough, but I just feel an Audi is far more refined.

The 1.9TDi seems to be the sensible option but I just dont know how 'fun' it will be to live with, I must get and drive one..

Forgot to say that mine's been re-mapped to 160 bhp (standard is 130)

If you're only doing 4000 miles a year, forget the diesels - they still command a premium to people who think that an engine that is more expensive to buy, service and fuel is the economical choice just because you go further between fuel-ups. Hardly the 'fun' choice you're after either.

My choice would be the S4 2.7 twin turbo, or early S6 4.2V8. (The 2003 4.2 V8 probably out of your £3-4k price bracket). I'd be wary of the All-road too as the height adjustable suspension is guaranteed to need expensive work.

That's if you have to have the Audi badge. Personally as mentioned above, coming from a pajero I'd go Subaru for the Forrester S-turbo for fun, practicality and durability.  :t-up:

Ben

If you don't want hassle buy Japanese! I work on Audi s3 and subarus! Granted earlier than 08 subarus are better than new ones! I'd stay away from Audi to be honest I'd rather walk everywhere with a stone in my shoe lol! German cars are over engineered just like jap cars however jap ones work! BMW also claim the reason there timing chains have snapped on any of our cars where I work is due to wrong oil which is complete rubbish its down to cheap parts and good ideas changed to bad ones ( going from twin link chain to single- idiots) as long as your running semi or fully synthetic it's good! Our cars do in excess of 150k and lots more in some cases and they all run on the same engine oil petroleum and diesels!

My lift share to work dives a lovely 1.9 Diesel Audi which is the best engine to have

But that Scooby was the best drive so easy safe and quick

Almost as good as a Westfield with brakes

I'd vote for a 1.9 TDi (I bought mine from Jeff) - remapped to 160, its loads of fun, I can chuck it around more than our lass's TT.

• Like 1

I would agree that for 4000 miles a year it doesn't matter if it's petrol or diesel.

However getting a relatively low mileage petrol will not be easy. As most higher mileage cars haven't been serviced as regularly as they should it's highly likely that the petrol engined models will expire before a diesel. For this reason I would suggest a diesel at below 150,000 and expect at least 10 years trouble free (from engine) motoring.

What Norman and ninja said! I've been around the Audi fraternity for some time and they're well worth the punt! Common failure is definitely lack of oil and/or repeated use of wrong grade oil .. obvious really! V6 is a bit of a b******* for sure and expensive to maintain, by comparison, the 1.9 TDI is the company's stalwart diesel!

Don't go by Audi's (or any other manufacturer's) recommendations of lengthy intervals between belt changes. They tend to state a mileage ie 80,000 but also bear in mind age ie if a car has only done 40,000 miles but it's a 2003 car, then I'd be replacing the belt! Also remember that it's not the belt that gives out in many cars but the hydraulic tensioner (if fitted) that ceases, possibly due to the lack of, or wrong oil, causing the belt to snap under extreme tension.

A 1.9 TDI with good service history should pay back dividends .. :t-up:

The A6 is a good allrounder and with a 1.9TDI engine good economy. Can't see it will be fun though, it's an plodding estate car. The all important service history is a must for this engine, you are expecting a lot for a 10 to 12 year old car really.

Im not the biggest fan of Audi Petrol engines but I think the vag 1.9 tdi Is the best motor they ever produced. Ive just supplied a 54 plate A6 avant 1.9tdi 130bhp with leather and all the bits for £3600 to a customer its done 130k with fsh every stamp audi and just done 3,000 miles ago it drives like new, I supplied his previous car 5 years ago same car A6 avant1.9 tdi S reg 1999 with 250,000 miles and perfect for it but someone wrote it off ! he is over the moon with his new one , they are a great car but prob not the most exciting thing to drive,for under £4k I dont think there is anything as good as an estate car unless you can get your head around driving a Volvo estate as they are good value at the mo!

oh and avoid the 2.5 tdi thats not a good engine :-( 

Ive a customer looking to part with an S4 avant V8 2004 black with grey leather and nav, not sure on miles yet so not sure what its worth but they are ok but I would fear fueling it! .