Poor guest

FILFAN

Only here because it's where the army put me! Should be out early next year, off to Dorset for a couple of years, then away to oz!

Army has a lot to answer for then  ;)  :)

Insurance companies look at statistics and state that if you have an accident then you are three times more likely to have another accident in the next 12 months.

It is an interesting statistic when examined - the Police no longer call them accidents but have re phrased them to collisions. The book of Roadcraft also tells you that when there has been a collision the 'fault' never rests entirely with just one party - there is always blame, no matter how small can be contributed to both sides.

The statistic shows that even if you are involved in an accident that you feel you are completely blameless in, you are not and it is this refusal to accept some blame that stops us learning from experience and avoiding further incidents - hence your insurance will rise as you become a higher risk.

The whole basis of Roadcraft defensive driving is written around these principles.

• Like 1

I caught him, lloyds TSB suit and name badge, he pleaded.

It was a Thursday, he picked new car up, Astra VXR 2010 model, on Saturday. His dad paid for it as the Monday before he'd totalled his BMW! So two accidents in three weeks, caused by him! I took my Westfield to the factory, with his details and "if not sorted and paid for in 24hrs I'll go through insurance. He paid hire car, paid full repair, including carbon stone guards, carbon sill protectors, couple of hours extra labour, for future use, plus all parts needed. He also paid hire care and gave me £250 cash!

Found out in discussion that his excess was £7,500... Due to 5 accidents in three years, three of them he wrote of a total of 5 cars and other two he was only car involved! I wonder how many other's he had and sorted like mine!

End of day my car was sorted and although I could've done the old whiplash thing, I was happy. Insurance would've taken a while and been a mess around. However I said that if he hit me again I would go straight to the police. I've seen him a few times in the area.

Insurance companies look at statistics and state that if you have an accident then you are three times more likely to have another accident in the next 12 months.

It is an interesting statistic when examined - the Police no longer call them accidents but have re phrased them to collisions. The book of Roadcraft also tells you that when there has been a collision the 'fault' never rests entirely with just one party - there is always blame, no matter how small can be contributed to both sides.

The statistic shows that even if you are involved in an accident that you feel you are completely blameless in, you are not and it is this refusal to accept some blame that stops us learning from experience and avoiding further incidents - hence your insurance will rise as you become a higher risk.

The whole basis of Roadcraft defensive driving is written around these principles.

I stopped at red light, rear ended... I learnt that moron's don't stop!

Stationary in traffic car skids into S2000 and takes off half the back end, I learned to never stop near a junction.

Golf accelerating towards me, I brake/stop and still get hit, I learned that I need two twin nautilus 115db horns and steering wheel mounted horn that's tested every time I put wheel back on (I have removable wheel).

VXR stops then hits side of me, drives off then answer is "I thought you had driven passed me!" I learned that I need a £250 tin top to drive around brum!

Run over on pedestrian crossing by guy on phone racing a red light on his way to work and police didn't take statements, didn't follow up after discharge from hospital and closed case before discharged from hospital! I learn that police here really couldn't give a... Which then explains how the driving has digressed.

BTW, I ain't upset or mad... Taking it as a joke. Please please please come to my house then I'll let you drive me to my old house and around the loop I described earlier. Any time between 7am and 9pm any day of the week. Even Christmas Day at 2pm I was very nearly run over on a zebra crossing. I've looked after a patient that was sat in a bus stop, waiting for a bus and a car mounted the pavement and put him into intensive care. I'm unsure if he survived or nit, but he was not in a good shape. Then the staff said it was very common in that hospital and pointed out two other patients that were similar cases.

How does defensive driving stop a drink driver driving into the rear of your car? It's the only accident I have been in over 26 years or so and I can't see how any blame could be down to me apart from being in wrong place at the wrong time.

maybe if you thought your journey through before hand you would have set off 1 min later and avoided the accident. see its all your fault  :laugh:

Don't shoot the messenger - just passing on what is said !

BOYCOTT BLINK!!!

What every happened to

"The customer/potential customer is always right"???

Just joking, I've heard a lot of very good things about blink motorsports. With three of the accidents I was totally stationary, in traffic. With golf wrong side of road I'd emergency stopped and they flew at me... I admit I didn't find horn quick enough because button on dash out of the way! And then guy stopped, I drove by then he drove into me because he thought I'd passed him.

Every accident I've been in has been proven as 100% not my fault and every time it's been other driver saving ten seconds. Why is it people will risk their life to save 45seconds, to get through a red light or gain two car lengths? I used to drive brum - Plymouth then back every weekend. On way down I was driving quite fast and just wanted to get there, way back I was driving slower by a fair bit. But then decided to work out fuel usage vs time! At 60-65 it'd take 10 mins more, but save £12 vs 75-80!

Around town, May vs Clarkson... Is May didn't get lost he'd probably beat them!

So you think that a car coming straight at you at speed will avoid you if you blow your horn?

How does defensive driving stop a drink driver driving into the rear of your car? 

I see what you mean but consider these points:

When stopping at the junction/light/car in front do you look for and plan an escape route?

When stationary do you keep looking all around for potential hazards?

If hazards are spotted, what action can you take? This could be applying/flashing brake lights, moving car forward/to one side etc...

There will sometimes be occasions when a collision is inevitable, but there will be even more when it's possible to act defensively and positively to prevent one.

Brian

I do as Brian suggests, Not even conscience of it. I only notice that I've done it when HM is with me and I move out of the way of trouble and she gets all excited because we had a near miss. That's when I realise, without her going on about it I probably wouldn't have noticed. 

I'm the same when moving. I will only overtake if there's an escape route. If I have to overtake without one, like a two lane road and overtaking an HGV, I do so as quickly as possible by dropping back and taking a longer run up so I'm passing faster.

I spent 10 years driving all over the UK to visit dealerships.Did about 80,000 miles a year. I can remember the only close encounter I had. I was coming south on the M1 when a Vauxhall Senator joined from the M6 and went straight across all 3 carriageways to get to the outside lane. I saw him and slowed by dabbing my brakes. There was no chance of a collision as I was aware of him and could see what he was going to do. However we were a few feet apart as he crossed my bows. Never crossed my mind to blow my horn.

That was it, over three quarters of a million miles and that was the closest I came to an accident.

A few weeks ago I was leaving the super market when a car came off the roundabout into the super market approach road. I'm not sure if the driver was on the phone or just going to fast to control the car but it was on the wrong side of the road and coming straight at me. I just moved on to the gravel at the side of the road and carried on. I only noticed because the car behind started blowing his horn and shaking his fist.

Quite right :yes:

As said - I'm just the messenger and have no intention of getting involved in the discussion or commenting on individual incidents - I wasn't there/don't know locations etc.

I just thought it would be a good point to raise.

Roadcraft is available to buy - before spiralling into a rage over what the authors say it might be worth a read.

As said - I'm just the messenger and have no intention of getting involved in the discussion or commenting on individual incidents - I wasn't there/don't know locations etc.

I just thought it would be a good point to raise.

Roadcraft is available to buy - before spiralling into a rage over what the authors say it might be worth a read.

Haha!