• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Few Pics Of The 2 High Spec Cosworth Westies I Built

polly_x

After years of building, developing and generally messing with my own and then building Lee's car too we finally got them together in the same place so took a few pics. They look pretty good together I think!

Bar a few differences the cars are very similar. Mine is built on an Seight chassis and Lee's an SEIW. Both cars have had immense amounts of work to pretty much everything possible and most parts have been upgraded and developed after years of trying to get the package right. Quite a bit of extra strength added in the rear around the diff cages too.

Both also have pretty much end to end custom parts from Pro Alloy including all the rads, pre rads, turbo coolers, water tanks, breathers, fuel tanks and WI tanks. Tonnes and tonnes of carbon including floors, arches, seats, wing extenders, splitters, diffusers, dashes etc mostly from Mick and both caged by caged. Both run Caterham CSR rims with the 9 inch rears.

Red car made 549 horses (481@the wheels and 480ft/lb torque) with a GT3076 turbo

White car made 515 horses (440@the wheels and 460ft/lb torque) with a GT3071 turbo

They both weigh 680kgs so red car has a touch over 800BHP per tonne and the white one a touch over 750 per tonne.

Both run Elite 6 speed sequential gearboxes with gripper plated diffs.

Electronics wise they both run Pectel T6 engine management with all the goodies like launch with traction and anti lag, both have gear specific boost control amd have the full AIM Pista dash, GPS and Smartycam systems. Both fitted with plumbed in fire systems too. Both mapped by Martin at Reyland Motorsport. .

Performance wise they go pretty well with both hitting 100 in under 6 seconds and comfortably doing 10 second 1/4 mile passes. Top speed we have both seen 160 without trying too hard but bottle runs out here!!! They drive really easy on the road and perform well on tracl too. The idea was to have them as good all rounders.

Lee's car was having a pistonheads video feature done and a hot lap of the ring with a proper race driver last week but suffered an unusual clutch failure so maybe another time!

I could go on all night about the specs and I know they are not to everyone's taste being high powered turbo charged cars but I hope you like and please let me or Lee (Porkie) know if you want anymore info.

d368631c.jpg

7afc53be.jpg

c30894e1.jpg

1a3b633c.jpg

7d5c067c.jpg

I've not really used mine much for the last 6 months as been busy building myself another project. An S1 Lotus Exige which I've converted too Audi power and done the usual Stu ground up top spec uber build! This has all the toys and well over 500 horses too!!

ff3d8d17.jpg

a5fc18b9.jpg

0bc94f5f.jpg

Edited by polly_x
  • Like 1

nice

Yes please, would love to hear more; I've followed Porkies build thread over on one of the other forums. But always interesting to see the different approach taken with these cars, and the degree of re-engineering involved.

I agree they're a different take on the Seven theme, but then no one seven style car, does do it all anyway! That's why we play fantasy garages, and if lucky, make 'em come true. :d

Awesome bits of kit, but they do seem quite heavy (admittedly the stronger diff housing etc) compared to a non turbo cosworth.

I may as well ask, but are you looking at the 40-45k mark?

I thought they were a bit heavy. My NA Cosworth BDR with iron block, 100% carbon body and everything non-essential stripped out weighs in at 507 kg with 1/2 tank of fuel and all oils and water.

However, they are both look well engineered and high powered. So does the Exige. You'll have to talk to Steve and compare notes.

they both look amazing - I have seen Lees car a couple of times at Bedford and always looks and goes well

it would be very interesting to take the cars to somewhere like Cadwell and put them head to head with lighter 250-300 bhp n/a Westy or an r500 to see which would get around the quickest

put Colin chapmans theory to the test :-)

be great to get the cars out on a blat out one day if you fancy a trot out :-)

Very nice! I've seen a video of the white car before I think. Looked a handful!

The Exige is great too. A friend of a friend has/had a 400bhp 1.8T Elise and that car was ridiculously fast.

• Like 1

Having seen both these cars in, and under the skin I can only admire the detail and effort that has gone into these cars.

There is a point when faced with limited horsepower that light weight can be a virture, but if there is a spare 250 + bhp in the car, whats an extra 70 to 120 kilo's.

High power seven type cars are always traction inhibited so who's to say that extra weight is a disadvantage to 500 bhp + Westfields. :love:

• Like 1

Agree, would love to get the weights down but I guess all the extra ancillaries that come with a a turbo charged car and the heavy strong gear boxes soon make things add up. Gearbox is about 38kgs. The pig iron YB is not the lightest of engines either.

The charge cooling system with the cooler itself and the additional radiator and tank full of water adds a fair chunk too. Not sure how much the cages add as well. The overall cooling package for water and charge air has probably been the hardest thing to get right. We knew that from the start though.

I think a good lighter car would be difficult to catch around a tight circuit but anywhere with any decent straights would make them a more difficult challenge!

Cheers Mick! Always a good measure in my eyes if you admire them! Remember they are shod with all your goodies too! Cheers for the chats over a cuppa in the garage mulling ideas too!

You make a good point on traction and you would be surprised just how well they do put it down. I think the combination of the extra weight, the wider rubber and some electronic help to control the boost in lower gears works a treat.

Cheers for the kind comments and yes you would easily spend the amounts mentioned above. Probably a chunk more! The engine, gearbox, electronics and carbon bill would be the wrong side of 30K.

Edited by polly_x
  • Like 1

Performance Top speed 408.47 km/h (253.81 mph) (average)

Super Sport:

431.072 km/h (267.856 mph) (average) 0–100 km/h (0.0–62.1 mph) 2.46 seconds 0–240 km/h (0.0–149.1 mph) 9.8 seconds 0–300 km/h (0.0–186.4 mph)[18] 16.7 seconds 0–400 km/h (0.0–248.5 mph)[19][20][not in citation given] 55 seconds Standing quarter-mile (402 m)[21] 9.8 seconds

Veyron figures from wiki.

Lovely cars these, if only I had the skill :cry:

My busa turbo is not so far off on the performance data, of course that's a lot lighter but then its not allowed on the road and even if it was I doubt anyone would describe it as a "good all rounder", I can't even describe it as "reliable" and as for 160mph not a chance.

Can we have more on the Lotus, build blog? Got to think about the next car ya see....

Respect to the money and the effort that those 2 cars are gone through!!!

Just the work of art from proalloy is amazing by it self to name just one......

I know how you guys feel as am 100 hp less from you,and yes it does feel real good!

What the tires you're on Stu?

Lovely cars these, if only I had the skill :cry:

My busa turbo is not so far off on the performance data, of course that's a lot lighter but then its not allowed on the road and even if it was I doubt anyone would describe it as a "good all rounder", I can't even describe it as "reliable" and as for 160mph not a chance.

Can we have more on the Lotus, build blog? Got to think about the next car ya see....

I've done a bit of a build thread on the Lotus on SELOC Here. The Lotus scene is a really friendly place too. Both me and Lee have joined them with my car and Lee has a late supercharged S2 Exige Sport which I know he loves.

Respect to the money and the effort that those 2 cars are gone through!!!

Just the work of art from proalloy is amazing by it self to name just one......

I know how you guys feel as am 100 hp less from you,and yes it does feel real good!

What the tires you're on Stu?

Been using mostly Toyo R888's in medium and soft compounds. 205 fronts and 235 rears. Lee tried some Dunlop road legal rally slicks on his too which I think he liked.

The custom parts Wayne and Alex at Pro Alloy have made for us on both cars are just amazing. Everything fits just perfect and looks like it should be there. Its been quite a challenge to engineer everything into the limited space but they have done it. They have also pretty much done everything end to end on my Lotus too. Great company and great service.

Edited by polly_x